Page 1 of 3 (44 items) 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 43 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 152
Ryan | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Jun 16 2012 3:07 PM

How do I get rid of these stupid advertisements on the welcome screen?

I want to see the product I purchased, not "Full Scholarship: Get Your Doctorate for Free" or "Share Logos with Dad for Father's Day"

Posts 26530
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 16 2012 7:35 PM

Whilst it can't be totally avoided try to exit the app whilst in Library or reading a book. If you don't need the study tools try the Vyrso app with NO Home screen - it still has search and offline search.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 670
Michael Lyman | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 18 2012 5:37 AM
It is a "free" app. Maybe they'll offer a paid app with no ads.
Posts 152
Ryan | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 28 2012 8:35 AM

Michael Lyman:
It is a "free" app. Maybe they'll offer a paid app with no ads.

Are you suggesting that the ads are there to cover the expenses and cost incurred in the development of the application?

I work extensively with mobile applications for products I support and install professionally. The mobile applications to access purchased content or purchased applications are almost always exclusively free and void of ads.

People spend thousands of dollars for an electronic library, and in order to access it on Android are required to do so through an advertisement ridden piece of software. This is outrageous. This would be crazy if it were any company out there, but to come from a company that sells Biblical literature? Come on...

Dave Hooton:
Whilst it can't be totally avoided try to exit the app whilst in Library or reading a book. If you don't need the study tools try the Vyrso app with NO Home screen - it still has search and offline search.

Not using it doesn't seem like a very good fix.

Posts 261
LogosEmployee
Gabe Martin | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 29 2012 8:46 AM

The news section will not be as prominent in the upcoming 2.0 release of the Vyrso / Logos / Biblia apps.

Posts 152
Ryan | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 29 2012 8:52 AM

Gabe Martin:

The news section will not be as prominent in the upcoming 2.0 release of the Vyrso / Logos / Biblia apps.

Thank you for addressing this concern, I look forward to the release.

Posts 8660
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 29 2012 9:37 AM

Ryan:

Gabe Martin:

Thank you for addressing this concern, I look forward to the release.

I look forward to the upcoming iteration as well. But I don't suppose it will be a soon release.

Hmm Sarcasm is my love language. Obviously I love you. 

Posts 178
Sir Maru | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 29 2012 4:49 PM

Maybe Logos News information should be linked to prior user interests.  If we like Bibles, give us more kinds of Bibles and Bible references.  If we like Greek books, give us more of those, etc.

Logos already knows our interests since all our reading is linked to their servers.

Right now all the ads I get from Amazon are linked specifically to my interests.  Thus, they are more likely to sell me something than if the ads were totally unrelated to my interests.  Logos should follow their example.

Posts 1281
toughski | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 30 2012 7:49 AM

Sir Maru:
Logos should follow their (Amazon) example

Yes Logos should follow their example in many other things:

• pricing
  • lending library
  • book previews
  • library management, etc
Posts 1880
Philana Crouch | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 30 2012 8:55 AM

I don't see the publishers allowing a Logos lending library, most of the books in Logos are not available in Amazon's lending library for the Kindle anyway.

Posts 152
Ryan | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 30 2012 10:24 AM

toughski:

Sir Maru:
Logos should follow their (Amazon) example

Yes Logos should follow their example in many other things:

• pricing
  • lending library
  • book previews
  • library management, etc

• No ads within the Kindle app

The philosophy being, if the application is installed, it's to access Kindle content, and if it is to access Kindle content, there has already been a transaction of funds.

Philana Crouch:

I don't see the publishers allowing a Logos lending library, most of the books in Logos are not available in Amazon's lending library for the Kindle anyway.

Most books on Amazon aren't available on Logos either, so I fail to see how your argument upholds the idea of no lending within Logos.

Posts 115
Pete Holzmann | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 8 2012 5:09 AM

Obviously, Logos knows whether it is a "free" app for me or not.

Every other app I've loaded on my 'droid that uses ads for the free version, also auto-disables advertising if I purchase the paid version.

How much money must users spend on Logos resources before the mobile app allows disabling advertisements? Or at least allows management of advertising categories on an opt-in basis?

Posts 152
Ryan | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 8 2012 9:01 AM

What if Logos built code to see whether or not resources have been purchased, and if they were purchased gives the ability to opt out of advertising. Then if someone else installed the Logos application, but had no purchased resources, then the ability to disable advertising isn't enabled.

I obviously don't support forced advertising at all, but I'm trying to find whatever way possible for a company to foist advertising on individuals, while allowing people who spend hard earned dollars on a product not to be subjected to ads.

Posts 82
Jim Crouch | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 12 2012 6:43 PM

The app may be free, but it is pretty useless if you haven't spent money on the full program. If you look at the advertisements for purchasing Logos Bible Programs, a major plus is the fact that you can have it on your computer, tablet and phone and they sync (although mine don't always appear to be syncing with any consistency). I guess if you purchased the program before the app was available, then it could be considered "free." If you purchased in the last year, you purchased a package which was quite expensive and included the app as a part of the package.

With all the ads I get in my emails, I don't need the home page ads, but I don't really mind. Once a month I am reminded of the free book: small price to pay for a free book!

Posts 31957
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 12 2012 6:54 PM

Jim Crouch:
but it is pretty useless if you haven't spent money on the full program

er....a... the laptop app is also technically free.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 152
Ryan | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 12 2012 7:02 PM

Whether it is free or paid for is a red herring.

There shouldn't be ads at all.

Posts 31957
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 12 2012 11:26 PM

I was actually focused on the free app vs. paid program dichotomy which is spurious. I'd not even noticed the concern regarding ads as I think of the home page as a bit like a magazine or newspaper - lots of irrelevant articles to bypass. For myself, the inclusion of devotionals I don't want, the limitations on the prayer list and reading plans are far greater home page annoyances. However, I can see why others would put ads higher on the list.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 2964
tom | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 13 2012 3:16 AM

MJ. Smith:
lots of irrelevant articles to bypass
That is for sure!  I also see the home page as a place for Logos' does their advertisement.  Because of this, I do not use the home page.

Posts 34
James Clabaugh | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 13 2012 5:25 AM

FREE APP?  looking at the account page, I've spent over $3k for this Logos products on this free app.  Maybe they could rethink the ads for those who are supporting the company with paid products that run on this free app.

Posts 152
Ryan | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 13 2012 9:52 AM

Which would make the application more useful to the user and beneficial to the user's studies? If it was treated as a desktop like windows where the user can put links, shortcuts, small blurbs of their own information, or a page of ads controlled by the company?

Page 1 of 3 (44 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS