Retina Macbook Pro and Logos - I have one

Page 2 of 2 (37 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 36 Replies | 7 Followers

Posts 1432
Tonya J Ross | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 21 2012 1:07 PM

The resource text display should be improved for retina displays in 4.5c.  Sadly, I don't have one sitting here on my desk to confirm the improvement. Wink

Adam (or anyone else who has a retina display Macbook) if you get a minute once 4.5c has shipped to the stable channel, if you compare the resource text display and let us know how it looks for you that would be greatly appreciated.

Posts 1228
Ron | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 21 2012 4:20 PM

Tonya J Ross:
The resource text display should be improved for retina displays in 4.5c.

Yay! Hopefully 4.5c will ship before I get my Retina MacBook in 4 weeks or so Smile

Posts 76
Greg M | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 21 2012 7:58 PM

I just got Logos loaded on my new retina and the text of the books is terrible.  Any idea how long the wait might be?  This rMBP might have to go back if it's going to be a while before I can use my Logos software.

Everything but the books looks great.  I've tried different resolutions for the screen as well as different fonts and font sizes.

Posts 53
Daniel Bergquist | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 21 2012 10:00 PM

Jerry M:

Donovan R. Palmer:
your eyes water.

Off topic but about three or four comments up, Daniel has a 12 core Mac Pro.  I guess my wallet would weep also.

I'm also a bachelor, Mac/iOS software engineer with access to discounts and living in a small flyover country city. ;-)

12-Core Mac Pro, MacBook 2.0 GHz Core Duo, Mac mini

Favorites: http://www.piratechristianradio.com http://issuesetc.org

Posts 76
Greg M | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 22 2012 6:45 AM

For those thinking about getting the retina display I'd wait.  Although Logos might adjust their software in a timely manner (How long did their Mac version take?) I seriously doubt Microsoft will.  Office looks terrible.

I'm selling my retina MBP.  For me the fuzzy text in most programs makes it unusable.  Compared to my MBA the color blows away the Air but the Air blows away the rMBP in clarity in almost all programs.

Even if my programs came out with updates within a couple of months it still wouldn't work for me.  I'm not about to replace perfectly functioning programs (I don't have the latest versions) so that they'll work on the retina screen.

Posts 60
Adam Crafton | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 22 2012 7:05 AM

Personally I could not disagree more.

As I have said, Logos is fuzzy as are the many apps but many are not (some seem to have used a technology that requires no modification) and browsing is an absolute pleasure.  It is the fastest laptop I have ever used and is gorgeous.

Posts 757
Fr. Charles R. Matheny | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 22 2012 7:11 AM

Dear Greg: If my memory serves me well, iOS apps for the retina display iPhone/ipad came pretty quickly.

Since just about all computer makers are working towards retina type displays, everything is going this direction.

I also believe your word processor issues can be resolved with Pages ( but not positive ) unless you are completely dependent on Microsoft for that function. Microsoft will shift soon though as their new platforms are also touted as HD or retina quality.

As fas as Logos is concerned, well, that's probably a whole different scenario.

Recently they stated to me that they adopt very quickly and it always works properly.

Unfortunately I do not think they use the same program we do or, they have a different definition of " works properly".

I have read that one can set the display to render in the same mode as a regular macbook pro, It seems from your posts that this is not the case? Was wondering if a call to Apple concerning a work around might be helpful?

Logos has stated on here somewhere that a release is pending that may help with the issue.

Hope this helps a little, it must be very, very frustrating to have such a incredible machine and not be able to function well in getting things done.

Blessings.

Posts 76
Greg M | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 22 2012 7:35 AM

HUGE difference between updating an iOS app and a full program.  Also the iPad sold in the millions very quickly.

iWork (pages) hasn't been updated for the Retina display.  If Apple couldn't get their own program ready for the release of this MBP then how long do you think that other companies will take?

How small is the percentage of retina displays out there compared to all displays being used in the world?  Most software companies will eventually come out with compatible versions but it will most likely be with a paid upgrade to their software.  Why would they rush a fix out when the percentage of users are less than 1% ???

Running at 1440x900 doesn't help at all.

It'll be a while until the retina display is more widespread and supported.  It'll be cheaper by then.  Why should I pay over $2k for a laptop that looks terrible with the 3 programs I use the most after internet and mail?  It's not like the screen on my MBA or an antiglare MBP all of a sudden isn't excellent.

Posts 20
QWL | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 22 2012 7:44 AM

Adam and Greg,

1) How does Mellel and Scrivener look on your Retina MBP?

2) Was your previous MBP a matte screen and if so, is the fuzzy text of Logos books on the Retina MBP better or worse than the matte screen of the old MBP?

Thanks.

Posts 76
Greg M | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 22 2012 7:53 AM

QWL:

Adam and Greg,

1) How does Mellel and Scrivener look on your Retina MBP?

2) Was your previous MBP a matte screen and if so, is the fuzzy text of Logos books on the Retina MBP better or worse than the matte screen of the old MBP?

Thanks.

As for the second question I have a macbook Air and the text looks sharp on it.

I was thinking about getting a hi res antiglare MBP.  Your question makes me thing that Logos doesn't look sharp on that screen?  I've not heard about this "fuzzy" problem until the retina.  You've got me curious now.  Anyone have a hi res MBP?  Any problems with the text of the books on it?

Posts 60
Adam Crafton | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 22 2012 7:54 AM

1.  Scrivener looks pretty good.  The text, etc are good (not retina but much better than logos).  Binder items look good.  Ribbon icons are less clear but the things that matter (text, org tools, etc) all look very good.  Fine to use as is. . .I presume they will update but if they don't you could use the way it is.

2.  Glossy.

Posts 20
QWL | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 22 2012 8:03 AM

Greg:  I have a matte MBP and was trying to ascertain if the fuzziness which Adam talked about on the Retina MBP might be worse or at least the same as a matte MBP. If yes, then I might be able to live with it since I have a mid 2009 MBP. 

Adam: Is the fuzziness on the Retina MBP at least the same clarity as your old glossy MBP or is it worse?

Thanks.

Posts 757
Fr. Charles R. Matheny | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 22 2012 8:09 AM

I see that some people are using "switchresx" to set particular screen setups for particular programs while they await updates.

Do not know if it will help or not.

Not sure I completely agree on the IOS comment. I have literally hundreds and hundreds of books "on" my iPhone running in retina, the text is great. I understand we are talking about a much smaller screen area, yet the principle is the same, the scale of change is different.

Agree there are not millions of these machines out there yet, but it's not going to take long and apparently there will be a 13' MBPr by fall.

I think Accordance plans on Retina compatibility in the next couple months, se do believe these things will move fairly quickly.

Like you, getting the work done is of greatest importance , thus am so sorry you have this difficulty. Often early adopters pay a price that help everyone , but most don't realize has been paid for them.

Posts 76
Greg M | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 22 2012 8:53 AM

THANK YOU !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Swictchresx has it's own problems with many things now being WAY too small but it appears that it might just work.  I just tried it and by increasing the size of the text in Logos and Word to a readable size they now look perfect.  Of coarse the menus and other things are too small.  Safari is small and when resized now doesn't look as good at 2880x1800.

However, being able to adjust my workspace according to what I'm doing just might work out fine while I wait.  I'm busy trying to work on tonight's lecture so I have to try and put this out of my mind so that I can finish preparing, using my MBA.

Posts 76
Greg M | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 22 2012 2:38 PM

4.5c looks great with no need to bring the res up to 2880x1800.

Wonderful, thank you Logos!

Posts 757
Fr. Charles R. Matheny | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 22 2012 4:08 PM

Wonderful and- Way to go Logos!

Posts 76
Greg M | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 23 2012 8:15 AM

Another update:

Office on the Retina also has the fuzzes.  Not as bad as Logos did but it still looks bad.  I downloaded LibreOffice and the text looks great.

Page 2 of 2 (37 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS