rationale behind bundling resources?

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
This post has 3 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 47
David McClister | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Jun 18 2012 9:59 AM

I can understand (sort of) the idea behind bundling older works (classic commentaries on x, etc.), but I do not see the need to bundle newer works that would sell quite well (or better) as individual volumes. For example, Beale's NT Biblical Theology comes only in the new Baker Academic Bible Interp collection, a couple of Witherington's Socio-Rhetorical commentaries are only available in the IVP NT Studies collection, etc. Why can I buy Beale's book in e-format on Amazon (Kindle), but not on Logos?

Is this Logos' decision, or is this a restriction that publishers place on Logos? Whoever is making these decisions, it is keeping me from buying some of their products. OK, rant over.

Posts 2038
Unix | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 18 2012 7:17 PM

I've read other's too, complain about the Socio-Rhetorical commentaries not being split up yet, but I find it unlikely that Logos will split it up anytime soon.

David McClister:
a couple of Witherington's Socio-Rhetorical commentaries are only available in the IVP NT Studies collection, etc.
Well, it's simple the publishers need to cover up the costs for producing volumes, so instead of taking the risk that individual volumes in a series won't sell well, they negotiate with Logos and require Logos to bundle the volumes. Many academic titles/series are costly to produce, such as http://www.brill.nl/

I don't know the exact reason why it's different in Amazon Kindle, but I would suppose that it's due to that it's time-consuming to scroll huge bundles on small monitor such as a handheld device.

Aply!
trulyergonomic.com 5,850own
12G A9-9420 V8.3 Acc 11
d:'13Q3 12G

Posts 10035
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 18 2012 7:23 PM

Unix ... that was good.  After weeks trying to scroll one of my Kindle collections, duh!

Posts 1957
Joseph Turner | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 18 2012 8:23 PM

Olive tree has many of the same works available individually (i.e. NICOT/NT and NIVAC), so I am not sure why Logos, which I would have to think is the better platform for publishers, would be required to sell in bundles.  Logos seems to be the only one.

Disclaimer:  I hate using messaging, texting, and email for real communication.  If anything that I type to you seems like anything other than humble and respectful, then I have not done a good job typing my thoughts.

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS