Logos 4 on Windows Server 2008

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
This post has 7 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 2
Brad Roekle | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Jun 20 2012 12:19 PM

We currently have a Windows Server 2008 configured for Remote Desktop Services and we would like to load Logos 4 on this server so when our users log in and they have an account with logos they can access their Logos from the RDP server. This way if they are on a home computer studying and not at the office on their computer which has their Logos loaded it allows them to be able to use it.

I installed the .NET Framework on the server but when I try and install Logos it gets to the part where it asks me what folder it should be installed in and it goes to C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Logos4 but I want it to install in C:\Program Files. No matter if I leave it with the default or change it then I still get an error.

The box pops up and says "The installation of Logos Bible Software 4 did not succeed".

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks Brad

Posts 27447
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 20 2012 12:30 PM

Hi Brad - Welcome to the forums!

I am not a techie, and not a windows user. For the specifics, someone else will have to chime in. I did want to point out that Logos is designed for only one user, and is not designed to be run on a server. If your "users" legitimately each have a license, they can install Logos 4 on their home computer and the files/resources/etc. will sync.

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 1958
Joseph Turner | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 20 2012 1:16 PM

I agree with Alabama, and an rdp session is not going to give the same performance as a local install.  As long as each person has a license, then they can pretty much install Logos on as many computers as they want as long as they are the only user.  It will sync between computers, so any benefits of a server install are negated.

Disclaimer:  I hate using messaging, texting, and email for real communication.  If anything that I type to you seems like anything other than humble and respectful, then I have not done a good job typing my thoughts.

Posts 1958
Joseph Turner | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 20 2012 1:29 PM

Does Crossroads Christian Schools have licenses purchased that you don't want teachers installing on personal computers, or are these individually owned?

Disclaimer:  I hate using messaging, texting, and email for real communication.  If anything that I type to you seems like anything other than humble and respectful, then I have not done a good job typing my thoughts.

Posts 10039
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 20 2012 2:33 PM

Brad ... in addition to what the folks above said, I think you stumbled into how Logos programmed against Windows security levels (c:\program files\). Bob (the CEO) discussed this early on, though I don't have the thread.

Posts 2
Brad Roekle | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 20 2012 2:59 PM

We own all our own licenses and my main idea was to make it easier for people to access what they want using our remote desktop server. We will just load them on each computer. And it's not Crossroads Christian Schools, it's for Crossroads Christian Church.

Brad

Posts 1958
Joseph Turner | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 20 2012 3:07 PM

I understand the desire for server convenience, but I think you will find because of the way Logos is implemented, remote access would be more trouble and less useful.

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 20 2012 9:19 PM

Brad Roekle:
We own all our own licenses and my main idea was to make it easier for people to access what they want using our remote desktop server. We will just load them on each computer.

Welcome Big Smile

Option for remote desktop server use is creating separate user accounts so every Logos user has their own login and Logos 4 installation (in their user's folder).

In contrast, the older Libronix 3 software was installed once on a computer for all users.  Logos 4 is designed to be installed for each user.  Some storage systems have a transparent option for physically storing one file, which is identical for many users (helpful for Logos resources and Outlook attachments).

By the way, Logos 4 is a 32 bit application.

Thread => Licensing for University Library may be interesting.

Keep Smiling Smile

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS