Downloading Question

Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
This post has 12 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 4
Matthew Yoder | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Jun 21 2012 6:00 AM

This is my first time downloading everything on my Mac from the website (I had previously had everything pre-loaded on my computer). I am using Logos 4 and it is downloading all of the updates and, conceivably, indexing them as well.

So, I go to the Logos icon and it says, "Downloading Updates (4133% of 5.83 GB)"

What is the 4133% all about? Is this an error or does it mean that its simply indexing everything (it's been going for going on 22 hours of this - running through the night). 

Posts 22860
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 21 2012 6:10 AM

Hi Matthew - and welcome to the forums

Matthew Yoder:
What is the 4133% all about?

This is a problem which occurs now and again and is often associated with something going wrong with the download.

There was a recent discussion of this at http://community.logos.com/forums/t/50595.aspx

You will see in that thread a post from Bradley (Logos employee) with an explanation of why this happens - http://community.logos.com/forums/p/50595/372950.aspx#372950

In that post he requests that logs are posted and provides a link to an article explaining how to do this (http://wiki.logos.com/Diagnostic_Logging#How_do_I_get_a_diagnostic_Log.3f)

If you could do that and post the logs, someone should be able to have a look at them.

Graham

Posts 10971
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 21 2012 6:11 AM

Welcome to the forums Matthew (though not under these circumstances).

Yes ... as you have suspected, it is downloading 20,000 gigabytes of data. I don't want to even think about your ISP's reaction.

Actually your 2 issues are not uncommon. The readout has been a problem for several years now. And the time to download (22 hours) is likely well beyond that needed for 6g on your ISP.

The normal recommendation is to kill it and restart.

"I didn't know God made honky tonk angels."

Posts 8893
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 21 2012 6:55 AM

Actually, although this is a common error on PC, I can't remember ever seeing it reported on Mac before. Are you, by any chance, using L4Windows through Parallels or similar?

Either way, stopping the download and restarting Logos (or perhaps the whole computer), should be the right thing to do. 

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 23 2012 3:00 AM

Matthew Yoder:
What is the 4133% all about?

Welcome Big Smile

Download % above 100 % indicates a number of resources are being retried.  4133 % is greater than 1500 % => Logos 4 upgrade earlier this year.

Option: could download and use 5504.Logos4MacLogging.app.zip to display your logging setting, then change to enable logging.

Observation: using command key when launching Logos 4 Mac only enables Logos4.log file.  For Logos to diagnose download issues, need Indexer.log file, which shows individual resource downloads with checksum comparison.  The diagnostic logging setting is read when Indexer starts so one option is enabling logging and restarting.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 74
Dennis | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 1 2012 7:33 AM

This is my first Mac an iMac, I have had logos 4 on windows for a long time. so I followed the directions and everything went as planned until the download reached 99% then it seems to have hung-up and stayed there for several hours now? is it now indexing? or should I restart my computer? It doesn't seem to be doing anything now and I believe it should have responded in some way by now. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks Huh?

Posts 74
Dennis | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 1 2012 8:01 AM

well, I canceled the download and now it says it is "Preparing your library" which seems to be normal? should I just wait now? or is it still hung-up? at the same time I had downloaded the logging tool from logos and it may be running now I don't know because it said I must quit logos before starting it but I wasn't running logos???

Posts 74
Dennis | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 1 2012 8:54 AM

PRAISE THE LORD!!! It opened up and is running on my new iMac!!! Big Smile It's still indexing though so the system is R-E-A-L-L-Y........ S...L...O....W.... It just has the bare minimum memory of 4g so I was going to max it out anyway myself; Apple charges way too much for RAM you can get it for a fraction of the cost els ware and installing it is no problem. I do have a question though... Apple says the max memory is 16g although many tech sites including very reputable ones say this system can utilize up to 32g if you put it all in in matching pairs. OWC sells a kit for that and guarantees that it will run it and not void the warranty in any way.... Memory is cheap right now and I would like to put as much in it as I can while it is down. 

Any thoughts or suggestions on this would be greatly appreciated. Blessings!!! Big Smile

Posts 28374
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 1 2012 7:18 PM

What are the specs on your computer? Make, model, etc.

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 1 2012 7:44 PM

Dennis:
Any thoughts or suggestions on this would be greatly appreciated.

A number of recent iMac's have four memory slots.  One option could be installing a pair of 8 GB Dimms to increase RAM from 4 GB to 20 GB.

WIki Mac Troubleshooting has => Slow Performance that includes a screen shot of Activity Monitor for memory: lots of page outs is a reliable indicator for upgrading RAM.

Currently Logos 4 Mac is a 32 bit application, which can effectively use less than 2 GB of RAM.

Personally dreaming of Logos 5 being a 64 bit application (as a Logos user, have no idea when for 64 bit application).

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 74
Dennis | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 1 2012 8:09 PM

2011 "Current" 27' iMac i7 3.4g 2600 Model 12.2 OWC and Cnet also some on Apple.com blog say it will run 32g. currently after an 11hour download on a fast internet and indexing logos slams my computer to a crawl. I bought it with the stock 4g of RAM because it is much less expensive to install it myself.

Posts 74
Dennis | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 1 2012 8:11 PM

Thanks for the links! yes mine has four slots and according to the specs Intell gives and some other Apple tech folks it will run 32g. I'm hoping that will give my machine some breathing room and go on with my work.

Posts 74
Dennis | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 1 2012 8:15 PM

I just have logos parked right now and a few pages on safari and a couple apps and checked my activity monitor and it is pegging out the memory and swapping almost 6G to the drive; page outs are horrible, and I'm not even trying to work it. when I try anything much more I have to wait on the letters in a text field like this to catch up...

Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS