Build-in Backup to DVD or Network Location, Similar to iTune Music Backup

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
This post has 6 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 211
Steven Yu | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Nov 17 2009 8:33 PM

Since no one want to spend another 24 hours of download and reindexing when upgrading to a new pc, is it possible for Logos to have a resource backup option so we can just click say we want to backup all the resource to a DVD or network location, and when upgrading pc, we can use the backup to restore instead of waiting for everything to be download from the next, and drink another 10 cups of coffee for the indexing to be completed.

"And you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free", John 8:32.
"你們必定認識真理,真理必定使你們自由", 約翰福音 8:3.

Posts 2789
Kevin A. Purcell | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 18 2009 10:12 AM

While I would welcome this, it is already possible if not as elegant as an in-program function.  You simple go to your installation directory and find the resources folder. Copy them manually.

On Vista and 7 it is under C:\Users\YourUserName\AppData\Local\Logos4\Data\STRING OF RANDOM CHACTERS\ResourceManager\Resources if you didn't do a custom install.  Just back up those files and then you can, if it works for you, follow the plan in the wiki for re-installation.

I put in a suggestion for a new installation process here: http://community.logos.com/forums/t/5181.aspx

Maybe they will include both of our ideas. PLEASE

Posts 2212
Damian McGrath | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 18 2009 4:47 PM

I support a built in system backup/restore function or system transfer function.

Given that we know that it is possible to transfer resources, index, recourcemanager.db, there must be a simple way for this to be integrated into the program.

What I would like to see is a system built into the Program Setings menu

1) Select "Transfer Install to a New Computer"

2) It checks that the install is up to date. If not it updates.

3) We choose a location from which we will install the program: an external drive; a shared folder on the network

4) It magically produces an .exe

5) Run the.exe on the other computer and it's all there!

Posts 2789
Kevin A. Purcell | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 18 2009 7:15 PM

Wow, that would be cool.  I would just be happy if it sent all your resources to an external drive and then copied the setup used to install in the first place or a link to it online.  Take it to the new computer and then hit the link or the exe file and install but when it comes to the time to download it instead recognizes that you are installing from this exe or link and takes all the stuff on the external drive and copies it into place and indexes it there.  Then goes and does an update in case there is some new stuff available between the time of the back up and the new install.

Posts 2212
Damian McGrath | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 18 2009 7:18 PM

Kevin A. Purcell:
copies it into place and indexes it there. 

Kevin, there should be no indexing at all... I didn't have to index either of the last two times I installed the program on two different machines - my only wait was for the resourcemanager.db to rebuild (but, this could be avoided too).

Posts 19073
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 18 2009 7:31 PM

Damian McGrath:

Given that we know that it is possible to transfer resources, index, recourcemanager.db...

I would like to see them make it possible for all of that to be transferred quickly at installation time so the index doesn't even have to be built ever, for people who order a standard collection of resources. Why can't all the indexing be pre-computed once (or once for each of several different common configurations) on Logos's servers, instead of having every single customer have to wait several hours for it to be done again on their own PC? That is the most inefficient computing solution I've ever encountered!

Posts 2212
Damian McGrath | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 18 2009 8:13 PM

RosiePerera:
Why can't all the indexing be pre-computed once (or once for each of several different common configurations) on Logos's servers, instead of having every single customer have to wait several hours for it to be done again on their own PC?

Rosie, I believe that Bradley has already addressed this since release (in response to me).  But....

We were assured during Beta testing that the base packages would come with a precompiled index. In many ways, this quietened down our lamentations concerning the indexing process - other contributing factors was a growing immunity due to over-exposure (I once indexed 4 times in a week - basically never used the program) and the fact that we knew we were Beta testing.

Apparently, they "ran out of time" to provide this... It's no secret that I still hold that the program should have been ready before a release date was set as opposed to setting a release date and then working 16-18 hour days over 6 weeks to achieve it. The thousands of posts since release, I believe, is due to the delivery of a half-baked product.

If the DVD install had arrived with an index already built in, it would have saved many people a day of their lives.... It could also have been downloaded - adding a few hours to the download time by saving between 5 and 24 hours of computer indexing time.

The sad reality for me is that it has almost been left single-handedly to Beta testers to "defend" the process - as well as to work out "work arounds" for what can be very easily achieved.

Having said all that, any base package install, except for a brand new user would have led to the creation of a supplemental index. The size of this index may have triggered a full reindex.

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS