Bug: Logos Bible Software 4 has encountered a problem and needs to close

Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
This post has 12 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 3
Wayne A. Brindle | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Jun 23 2012 9:26 PM

6562.Logos4.zip

During the past several days, everytime I try to open Logos4, the opening "Logos4" appears for a few seconds, then it gives the error message, "Logos Bible Software 4 has encountered a problem and needs to close," and it asks me to report to Microsoft.

As far as I know, nothing has changed on my computer for several months.  The Logos.exe file is dated about May 1.

My Logos4 files are on an external drive (this has worked fine for two years).  I've checked the file locations given in the desktop shortcut, and it still leads to the correct location on the drive.  I've also tried to run the Logos4.exe file directly from the external drive, and the same error occurs.

I've gotten three different Log files (see attached), one of which is a "Logoscrash.txt" file.

Steps to Reproduce:  (1) Click the Logos4 icon.  (2) Wait.

Actual Result:  Error message -- "Logos Bible Software 4 has encountered a problem and needs to close . . ."  Logos not opening.

Expects Result:  Logos running and opening.

System specs:  Dell X86-based PC  -  Windows XP - SP3 operating system  -  Virtual memory 2 GB.

Is there a fix for this?

Posts 24852
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 23 2012 9:46 PM

It's rather fundamental as Logos can't access the Logos4 path - "Access to the path 'H:\Documents and Settings\WayneB\Local Settings\Application Data\Logos4\' is denied."

H: is the expected drive but external drive letters can change unless you permanently allocate a drive letter... Is the rest of the path correct?

If correct is Logos4 being blocked by a security suite or similar? You might want to exempt that path from being scanned.

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 3
Wayne A. Brindle | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 23 2012 10:23 PM

My external drive includes a system drive "H" and the main drive "I".  I found the Setup Log from last May 1 (apparently a major upgrade date) and it lists drive "H" throughout.  Apparently my computer recently switched the two drive letters in its designations.  How do I reset them permanently?

Posts 24852
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 23 2012 10:48 PM

Wayne A. Brindle:
How do I reset them permanently?

Be careful as you may upset other applications and/or shortcuts if you switch drive letters. To change:

• ensure you are logged onto an Administrator user account
  • right click My Computer, select Manage and then select Disk Management
  • find your external Disk
  • right click the drive/partition and then you can change drive letters.

To switch H and I you have to temporarily assign one of them another drive letter.

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 3
Wayne A. Brindle | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 25 2012 11:28 AM

That was a great help, Dave.  I followed your directions, reset my external drive letters, rebooted Logos, and everything is now working fine.  Blessings on you, and glory to God!

Posts 142
John Hapgood | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 17 2016 9:46 AM

Now I'm having this problem. I was just reading a book and Logos4 had been running all day (as it usually is) and I got this error message and it closed but when I restarted it it was a layout from quite a few days back. When I got my layout back and started reading again after about 5 minutes I got the error message again. Now it's doing it a minute or two every time I open Logos4. I've been using this for YEARS almost every day and never had this problem.

I tried the "run: Regsvr32.exe %Windir%\System32\Ole32.dll" fix recomended in another thread but that did not work.

I finally manged to save my layout and close before I got the error message so now I at least have it open to the correct layout.

I noticed after I closed it that there were TWO Logos4.exe listed in Task Manager and one of then had 00 CPU usage and one was moving from 09 to 10. I ended both but now when I close Logos it still has one task running and active (the CPU is constantly changing from 01 to 11)

Do I need to make a phone call?

John

Posts 142
John Hapgood | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 17 2016 9:54 AM

Apparently the reason there are two listed in Task Manager is because one never ends and I try and restart Logos it add the second one but Logos never starts. I have to kill both of them now to Logos started again.

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 17 2016 12:21 PM

John Hapgood:

Now I'm having this problem. I was just reading a book and Logos4 had been running all day...

Do I need to make a phone call?

Anticipate phone call including:

Logos 4 and 5 are no longer supported => https://www.logos.com/support/free-support so limited to forum discussions

Logos 6 Core Engine is free => Logos 6 Core Engine

Logos wiki has => Upgrade or Crossgrade to Logos 6?

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 142
John Hapgood | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 18 2016 11:20 AM

Cant upgrade on Window XP.

I'm running 5 on my laptop but only use the laptop when traveling. I dont want to spend 800.00 for a new computer (I'm below the poverty level of income) just to upgrade to a product that is not substantially different the way I use it.

Does anyone think a reinstall might help?

Posts 142
John Hapgood | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 18 2016 12:15 PM

Strange that it took 6 years for this bug to hit me but the fix (work around) was posted in 2010

https://wiki.logos.com/BUG$3a_Logos_4_crashes_when_open_in_XP_with_SP3_$28with_$22Use_Internet$22_feature_turned_on$29.$

I'll just have to sync manually

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 18 2016 9:42 PM

John Hapgood:
Does anyone think a reinstall might help?

Repairing installation may help.  Logos 4.6c SR-7 (4.63.0.0409) was the last release for Windows XP on 31 Mar 2014:

Setup link => Logos Bible Software 4.6c, SR-7

Logos 4 Support pages => https://www.logos.com/support/logos4/windows (no longer updated by Faithlife)

FYI: if uninstall Logos 4, then downloaded resources plus indexing will be deleted.

John Hapgood:
I dont want to spend 800.00 for a new computer

If hardware is adequate, an option is "upgrading" (replacing) Windows XP with Windows 7 => http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/help/upgrading-from-windows-xp-to-windows-7#T1=tab01 followed by installing applications.  Optional is saving Windows XP stuff, clean install of Windows 7 followed by restoring => http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/how-to-upgrade-from-windows-xp-to-windows-7.html 

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 142
John Hapgood | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 19 2016 8:44 AM

What do you mean by "downloaded resources plus indexing will be deleted." Why is that an issue? Will some resources not be re-downloaded? The only thing in my ResourceManager/downloaded folder is 77a45ef6a9d149638b1a9ea6cb81610c.lbspbb which, from reading https://community.logos.com/forums/p/13070/101258.aspx I think I can do without.

Thanks for your help and even reading this thread.

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 19 2016 3:24 PM

John Hapgood:
What do you mean by "downloaded resources plus indexing will be deleted." Why is that an issue? Will some resources not be re-downloaded?

If uninstall Logos 4 on Windows, then your downloaded resources plus indexing are deleted along with application.  Logos 4 install can download Logos and Vryso resources, but not Personal Books.

Logos wiki has => Quick Installation onto multiple computers with steps to copy resource files so can avoid download, which can be helpful when internet  connection has capacity limits OR is unreliable.

Repair can be done without uninstall.  Also can run Logos 4 Setup without uninstall to update application.

Keep Smiling Smile

Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS