Sermon File Addin

Page 2 of 3 (45 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 44 Replies | 6 Followers

Posts 217
Danny Baskin | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 23 2012 10:16 AM

tom collinge:

IMHO, the main reason why this function had not been added to as of yet comes from the fact that they had to spend a lot of time and money in reworking a lot of L4.  IMHO, we do not have a completed product as of yet because Logos is now reaping what they have sown (and because they are adding additional products - vysro, faithlife, etc...).

IMHO, you're right. What I find most distressing is that we DON'T HAVE A COMPLETED PRODUCT. I'm looking forward to the day when I can file my sermons, etc. directly into L4 without first using software that I've had for so long--L3.

It's time for the sermon addin or at least some reasonable estimate as to when we can expect it.

Posts 1281
toughski | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 24 2012 6:17 PM

Frank Sauer:
Logos had this.on the back burner because they believed that it was a small group who used it and also because some there never liked it anyway.
(emphasis mine)

This belief of LOGOS' is based on a flawed measuring methodology that relies on users turning on "anonymous statistics" from within their software as well as calling CS when they are unhappy with the feature.

Posts 451
Mitchell | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 24 2012 10:28 PM

Honest question from someone who's never used Logos 3: what could Sermon Files do that Personal Books can't?

Posts 1281
toughski | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 24 2012 11:19 PM

mitchellisdumb:

Honest question from someone who's never used Logos 3: what could Sermon Files do that Personal Books can't?

SFA will automatically create tags for date, location preached, tags, keywords and scripture references, automatically arranging entries in alphabetical or canonical order. Basically, it hugely automated manual tagging, making entries MUCH easier to find.  Below is my book of illustrations:

Posts 2964
tom | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 25 2012 2:08 AM

toughski:
SFA will automatically create tags for date, location preached, tags, keywords and scripture references, automatically arranging entries in alphabetical or canonical order. Basically, it hugely automated manual tagging, making entries MUCH easier to find.  Below is my book of illustrations:

If notes had tagging (better tagging than clippings) and better formatting options, then we would not need a SFA.  (We will also need a way to maintain, edit, and run reports on our tagging).

Posts 451
Mitchell | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 25 2012 7:02 AM

I see. That does look useful, and I can also see why Logos would want to build this as an extension of current functionality rather than as something totally separate. Here's hoping everyone gets what they want whenever this does come out.

Posts 61
Leigh Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 25 2012 8:51 AM

I find having the indexes available for browsing very helpful as a way to see what topics I've preached on, have all my communion sermons listed together, etc.  It's much easier than having to use the basic search for this.

Posts 36
Darren Middleton | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 28 2012 4:26 PM

Some of us bought the addin not that long before L4 was released - which meant we had a product that would no longer work when we upgraded. We were promised that it would work "soon" in L4  - in fact we were led to believe it was less than 12 months away. Clearly if we had used the search function on Logos we have realised that they were referring to the biblical "soon" as in Rev. 22:20. Stick out tongue

On a serious note - a man's word is his bond, that's why many of us pastors are persistent in expecting Logos to deliver on their often stated promise of it is coming "soon".

Darren Middleton

Posts 1627
SteveF | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 22 2012 6:24 PM

Darren Middleton:
We were promised that it would work "soon" in L4

Dear Darren:

"Soon" is almost here.

The latest Beta version (4.6a Beta 2) includes the needed code to produce the very necessary Index that will make (one or many) of your PBB's into a "Sermon File" collection Resource.

[One tester has already suggested that this could be used to make a separate (and searchable) "Bible Study Journal", etc].

After testing it this weekend, it appears to be better than the Libronix 3 Sermon File (The L3 Sermon File had some "unique" -- in a challenging way --editing tools)

This new resulting Sermons File "book" (resource) can be "My Tagged" and therefore put into a searchable collection. That Collection can then be put into a Passage Guide. 

I believe that this is what we have been asking for since the Nov 2009 release of Logos 4.

Like I say, I have only tested this for a few days but I am very, very, very, etc pleased.

I just do not know how many sermons to go to the work of entering, (in case there are final changes to the code.)

Al the best.

Regards, SteveF

Posts 1880
Philana Crouch | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 23 2012 12:45 AM

SteveF,

Does it also index speaker or location?

Posts 21633
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 23 2012 1:31 AM

Hi Philana

Philana Crouch:

From the release notes:

• Personal Books
    • Implemented syntax for Sermons and Illustrations. When this syntax is added, the compiler will automatically generate indices at the end of the book by date, topic, passage, and tags.
      • Fields are added via a table format, where the top-left cell contains ‘Sermon File Type’.
      • The metadata should be added after the title of the relevant sermon or illustration.
      • Except for the ‘Sermon File Type’ which is required for the first row, the other metadata lines can be added as desired in any order.
      • The field types are:
        • Sermon File Type: ‘Sermon’ or ‘Illustration’ (Note: the compiler will only recognize one type, the type in the first table, per book.)
        • Passages: Standard Bible reference formats. Accepts multiple values separated by a semicolon.
        • Topics: Accepts multiple values separated by a semicolon. (Topics for sermons should show up in the ‘Topics’ section of the Passage Guide. Topics for Illustrations should show up in the ‘Illustrations’ section of the Passage Guide.)
        • Tags: Accepts multiple values separated by a semicolon.
        • Speaker: Accepts multiple values separated by a semicolon.
        • Venue: Accepts multiple values separated by a semicolon.
        • Date: Accepts multiple values separated by a semicolon. (The compiler will attempt to parse the date.)

Example:

Sermon File Type Sermon
Passages Gen 1:1John 3:16
Topics Creation; Love
Tags Examples; Testing
Speaker John G. Smith
Venue There
Date September 28, 2000

Posts 1627
SteveF | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 23 2012 6:07 AM

Philana Crouch:

Philana, Graham has shown you that both the "speaker" and "location" (field) material is collected

--and as such it is visible near the beginning of each sermon (depending on which of the first few lines your "syntax code" is located.)

BUT it appears that as of right now, the speaker and venue are NOT "indexed".

There was another post about "speaker & location" fields in the "Beta" Forum but I do not believe that they had any further information or suggestions.

Regards, SteveF

Posts 36
Darren Middleton | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 15 2012 8:22 PM

So is there a release date yet? Any updates on this? Thanks.

Posts 27249
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 16 2012 4:33 AM

Darren Middleton:

It's still in beta, which you are more than welcome to try… make sure you are aware of the dangers of beta testing first though. Logos doesn't really give out "release dates" for software, but if you follow the beta builds, you can gain some sort of idea when it may come out. There will be a number of beta builds. As Logos believes that things are getting close, the beta builds will be designated as a "release candidate" (i.e. RC1). Sometimes a beta will go through several RC's, other times it is just one.

The current beta build is 4.6a,  B4.

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 4545
Forum MVP
Fred Chapman | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 16 2012 5:48 AM

alabama24:

Darren Middleton:

It's still in beta, which you are more than welcome to try… make sure you are aware of the dangers of beta testing first though. Logos doesn't really give out "release dates" for software, but if you follow the beta builds, you can gain some sort of idea when it may come out. There will be a number of beta builds. As Logos believes that things are getting close, the beta builds will be designated as a "release candidate" (i.e. RC1). Sometimes a beta will go through several RC's, other times it is just one.

The current beta build is 4.6a,  B4.

To add to what alabama said the current 4.6a beta seems to be stable for most. That does not eliminate the risks of a beta version, but I would call the risk minimal at this point in the cycle

Posts 36
Darren Middleton | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 16 2012 1:58 PM

Thanks brothers.

Where would I find the beta version?

Posts 27249
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 16 2012 2:14 PM

Darren Middleton:
Where would I find the beta version?

Read this thread first. It will provide links. If you have more questions, visit the beta forum.

BETA FORUMhttp://community.logos.com/forums/106.aspx

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 204
David Salazar | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 16 2012 8:11 PM

Darren Middleton:

Another question, is this a temporary thing or will this be what Sermon File Addin WILL ultimately be?

If that's what it is going to be, I wonder will there be some kind of credit or refund, because now it is available to all (with certain base packages) as PBB.  I don't mind so much it being free in future versions, but what would be disappointing is that those that paid didn't really get to use the paid product when L4 came out soon afterwards (which didn't support it).

Posts 26021
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 16 2012 8:17 PM

David Salazar:
Another question, is this a temporary thing or will this be what Sermon File Addin WILL ultimately be?

There is no reason to believe it will ultimately be something else as Logos originally thought that PB without special features would be sufficient. But I think this was a trick question ... something about equal pay to the workers regardless of when they started workWink

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 7
David Krueger | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 19 2012 9:10 AM

Like you, I'm not a programer. But I gotta ask -- they had sermon indexer working with Logos 3. How hard can it be to get it working with Logos 4?

Page 2 of 3 (45 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next > | RSS