Maps: zooming and amount of data shown

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
This post has 7 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 133
Chuck Forsythe | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Nov 18 2009 4:22 AM

Good morning all:

I have a few questions about using Biblical Places Maps.

1. When I select a location and use the scroll wheel to zoom in our out, Logos 4 does not keep that location at the center of my screen, even when I begin by positioning the location at the center of my screen.

Is there any way to keep the location at the center of the screen while I scroll to zoom in or out?

2. Is there any way to have only the locations I want to see on a map, rather than having every place on the map? For example, when I open Biblical Places: Jerusalem and select the Biblical World (Logos' map), I get 50 or more other locations marked, most of which are irrelevant to what I am studying at that moment. Can I have only Jerusalem and 2 or 3  other cities on the map?

Chuck

Posts 8652
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 18 2009 5:23 AM

ChuckForsythe:
When I select a location and use the scroll wheel to zoom in our out, Logos 4 does not keep that location at the center of my screen,
Logos uses the location of your mouse cursor as the "center" to scroll in towards.

ChuckForsythe:
Is there any way to have only the locations I want to see on a map, rather than having every place on the map?
No.

Hmm Sarcasm is my love language. Obviously I love you. 

Posts 139
Sean Boisen | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 18 2009 11:32 AM

Thomas Black:
ChuckForsythe:
Is there any way to have only the locations I want to see on a map, rather than having every place on the map?
No.

At least not yet. We've discussed several ways to provide more dynamic map display, but we weren't able to get all those features into 4.0.

I'd be interested to know how you would use this feature if we made it possible. We have about 1100 Biblical Places, so i don't think you'd want to have to check boxes in a list that long. I guess you could zoom in and then restrict the list of places within the zoom region (that would be correspondingly smaller).If you only wanted a relatively short list of places displayed, i guess you could do them one by one.

Posts 5337
Kevin Becker | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 18 2009 11:43 AM

I think a triangulation between two data points would give a pretty good result.

1) The most frequently mentioned places in the Bible. i.e. every map should probably have Jerusalem (if it's in view).

2) Places mentioned in the pericope (probably should lean toward the big side) that brought up the map.

If this doesn't yield enough places, perhaps a search window that you can search for places and click an add button.

Posts 133
Chuck Forsythe | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 19 2009 6:37 AM

Hi Sean:

I am happy you are thinking about this feature. There are times I would like to project a map while I am teaching or preaching, so having a minimum ammount of information is better (in my view). I understand having a list of 1100 places to select from is too cumbersome.

I like Kevin's idea of having the places within a pericope becoming the check list for what to include and what to exclude on a map.

I think including the most frequently mentioned locations in a check list would be useful.

It would be nice to have the ability to select items to include by a in a list defined by catagories: e.g.: mountains, rivers, citites, villiages, bodies of water, geographic regions, etc.

Chuck

Posts 260
Pastor Dan Cleghorn | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 19 2009 7:22 AM

I'm still a big fan of the old Logos Bible Atlas. In this program, you can select "3-D Palestine" and select which cities you would like to see on your map. The cities are filtered by the time periods, etc to the right.

In the other Mediterranean and Palestine map options, you can Customize the Site Map to only show the cities you choose. Very helpful in studying or when doing handouts.

This would be a great tool to add. I think a newly designed Bible Atlas would be great-one you could use from within L4.

Posts 3578
steve clark | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 19 2009 10:10 AM

Sean,

Logos added the Holman Bible Atlas (thank You). It has over 130 maps.

But only a few are indexed in Biblical Places. The rest cannot be zoomed into. It would be great if we could drag a map to Biblical Places and use it to zoom into the image. I realize that it is not indexed and there would be no crossrefs and such, but you could just put the name & page of the book it came from. The zooming would help greatly as some of the details of the maps are unreadable and zooming would help (i know they are images and zooming would render them pixelated to some degree, but i could still read them).

Thanks

QLinks, Bibl2, LLR, Macros
Dell Insp 17-5748, i5, 1.7 GHz, 8G RAM, win 8.1

Posts 139
Sean Boisen | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 19 2009 11:48 AM

Steve:

We're working away at the massive job of tagging the images in all our resources, including maps. Once all the maps are tagged as separate images, they'll be zoomable in Logos 4.

In the meantime, if you right-click on the image in the resource and select the Image tab, you can Copy the image to some other program (or Send it to Powerpoint), where you can zoom in.

We probably won't do the same detailed indexing and cross-referencing for all these other maps (it's a huge amount of work!). But you're always welcome to suggest additional maps you'd like to see Logos develop (send an email to suggest@logos.com).

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS