Free Book of the Month Might Be a Mistake

Page 1 of 2 (25 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 24 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 6402
DAL | Forum Activity | Posted: Sun, Jul 1 2012 4:40 PM

I'm sure thankful to Logos for their generosity in all the freebies, but for some reason I think July's free book of the month might be the wrong freebie.  This is why: This title is included in all the base packages, so my take on it is, why give away a book that everybody owns? Every one that owns a base package even the cheapest one, owns the selected sermons by George Whitefield.  Anyway, I'm not complaining but I just thought I'd post this in hope of getting the "free book of the month" switched to another book by George Whitefield.  If not, I'll wait 'til next month and Vyrso books to see how they are this month, because as of today (07/01/12) the freebies on Vyrso don't look to appealing for now. 

Blessings!

DAL

Posts 249
Giovanni Baggio | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 1 2012 4:55 PM

No is not a mistake is the fact that logos is getting cheap with their freebies! Let me guess next month's free book of the month will be Butler's "Alliterated Sermon Outlines." LOL Devil 

Giovanni

Posts 2964
tom | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 1 2012 6:11 PM

DAL:

I'm sure thankful to Logos for their generosity in all the freebies, but for some reason I think July's free book of the month might be the wrong freebie.  This is why: This title is included in all the base packages, so my take on it is, why give away a book that everybody owns? Every one that owns a base package even the cheapest one, owns the selected sermons by George Whitefield.  Anyway, I'm not complaining but I just thought I'd post this in hope of getting the "free book of the month" switched to another book by George Whitefield.  If not, I'll wait 'til next month and Vyrso books to see how they are this month, because as of today (07/01/12) the freebies on Vyrso don't look to appealing for now. 

Blessings!

DAL

I did not own the book (then again it is very unlikely that I will be using it).

Posts 6402
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 1 2012 6:17 PM

tom collinge:

I did not own the book (then again it is very unlikely that I will be using it).

Tom, do you own a base package? Because if you do, then you should already have it.  I got it before realizing I already own it, but all it did was sent me a receipt, but nothing download.  I guess the system detected that I already owned it.  Anyway, I haven't used it much either.  I love sermon outlines instead of manuscripts. 

Blessings!

DAL

Posts 9946
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 1 2012 6:22 PM

DAL:

Blessings!

DAL

My package is very base [pun intended Devil] since it includes a number of interlinears.  Yes, I do have it.  This is one of those items they slipped in on me while I was unaware.  I'll need to hide it since I don't normally read sermons.

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 2964
tom | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 1 2012 6:24 PM

DAL:

Tom, do you own a base package? Because if you do, then you should already have it.  I got it before realizing I already own it, but all it did was sent me a receipt, but nothing download.  I guess the system detected that I already owned it.  Anyway, I haven't used it much either.  I love sermon outlines instead of manuscripts. 

Blessings!

DAL

Nope, and I will never own a base package.  You just assumed that everyone owns a base package.

Posts 10177
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 1 2012 9:25 PM

I have OL and don't have it. But don't need it either.

Posts 6483
Forum MVP
Lynden Williams | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 2 2012 2:33 AM

It is good for those who do not own a base package. I am encouraging some persons to get into Logos, and free books is one way of encouraging them.

Everything ever written in Religion and Theology formatted for Logos Bible Software.Logos Youtube Channel

Posts 10547
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 2 2012 3:38 AM

George Somsel:
My package is very base [pun intended Devil] since it includes a number of interlinears.

And you use them on a regular basis Hmm

Posts 6483
Forum MVP
Lynden Williams | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 2 2012 3:42 AM

Jack Caviness:

George Somsel:
My package is very base [pun intended Devil] since it includes a number of interlinears.

What! George using an interlinear? Call the paramedics and a priest. Big Smile

Everything ever written in Religion and Theology formatted for Logos Bible Software.Logos Youtube Channel

Posts 1572
Forum MVP
Levi Durfey | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 2 2012 3:46 AM

DAL:
Every one that owns a base package even the cheapest one, owns the selected sermons by George Whitefield.

Where did you find this out? According to the comparison chart, it is not in the Home, Bible Study, or Original Languages base packages.

I agree, however, I was bummed to find I already had the free book of the month. Sad 

Posts 1875
Paul-C | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 2 2012 4:54 AM

I'm not sure if my recollection serves me right, but didn't this issue also crop up with April 2012's free book of the month - John Bunyan's Grace Abounding?  I seem to recall there being one other occasion when I already had the free book of the month in my Platinum base package.

That said, unless Logos start giving away brand new books, it's likely there's always going to be someone who's disappointed at being offered a book they already have ( - either someone who's bought it in a base package, or someone who's bought it as an individual resource!)

I'm disappointed that I already have the book this month, but am thankful nevertheless for this initiative from Logos. Yes

Posts 8893
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 2 2012 5:52 AM

DAL:
This title is included in all the base packages

No, it's not. It's missing in 3 normal base packages, as well as all of the Catholic ones.

tom collinge:
Nope, and I will never own a base package.

I thought you owned OLL? 

George Somsel:

Poor George! And you can't even hide them. Stick out tongue

Paul Clarke:
didn't this issue also crop up with April 2012's free book of the month

I don't understand this expectation that the free book should always, or at least generally, be something you don't already own. These books are teasers, meant to attract new users, and to get people with very low base packages to want more. They're not really meant for most of us here. They already know that the only thing needed to tease us into opening our wallets is to put new books on prepub or CP. Smile 

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 3661
BillS | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 2 2012 6:23 AM

DAL:
freebies on Vyrso

I had them all, so far, too...  since I haven't purchased Vyrso books, that means they've all be free, before. Not a bad thing, though, as I've seen a number of posts lamenting that they'd missed out on something. Smile

Grace & Peace,
Bill

Asus GF63 8RD, I-7 8850H, 32GB RAM, 1TB SSD, 2TB HDD, NVIDIA GTX 1050Max
Samsung S9+, 64GB
Fire 10HD 64GB 7th Gen

Posts 2964
tom | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 2 2012 6:33 AM

fgh:

tom collinge:
Nope, and I will never own a base package.

I thought you owned OLL? 

I should have been clearer.  I do not have or will have one of the scholar base packages (the base packages that contain this book).

Posts 4602
Forum MVP
Fred Chapman | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 2 2012 11:58 AM

Lynden Williams:

Jack Caviness:

George Somsel:

Late at night when noone else is awake you see the glow of a laptop screen coming from under the closet door. That is George using his interlinearsSurprise

Posts 9946
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 2 2012 12:48 PM

Fredc:

Lynden Williams:

Jack Caviness:

George Somsel:

Late at night when noone else is awake you see the glow of a laptop screen coming from under the closet door. That is George using his interlinearsSurprise

Obviously, you have the wrong address.  You need to look in the proper place if you want correct information.  I had a laptop for about 2½ yrs then gave it to my daughter.  I don't have a laptop so you're looking at someone else.  People who know Greek don't use interlinears—they write them for those who don't know Greek but pretend that they do.

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 2736
Bohuslav Wojnar | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 2 2012 2:46 PM

George Somsel:

Fredc:

Lynden Williams:

Jack Caviness:

George Somsel:

Obviously, you have the wrong address.  You need to look in the proper place if you want correct information.  I had a laptop for about 2½ yrs then gave it to my daughter.  I don't have a laptop so you're looking at someone else.  People who know Greek don't use interlinears—they write them for those who don't know Greek but pretend that they do.

That's classical George SmileYes

Good job guys that you were able to get that response from George. Stick out tongue

Bohuslav

Posts 6402
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 2 2012 2:59 PM

Integ:

Where did you find this out? According to the comparison chart, it is not in the Home, Bible Study, or Original Languages base packages.

I agree, however, I was bummed to find I already had the free book of the month. Sad 

Here it is (look to your right under "Recommendations":

Posts 4602
Forum MVP
Fred Chapman | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 2 2012 3:23 PM

Bohuslav Wojnar:

Good job guys that you were able to get that response from George. Stick out tongue

That was the goalBig Smile

Page 1 of 2 (25 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS