How is sharing supposed to work?

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
This post has 10 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 5
Fred | Forum Activity | Posted: Sun, Jul 1 2012 8:20 PM

How is sharing supposed to work at Biblia.com?

If I click the "share" link it displays a URL for the resource I have open. But unless the resource is one of the free ones available at Biblia or a person owns the resource himself, it seems that he can't use my link: he gets a 403 error.

So I am curious: how is the sharing is supposed to work for stuff in my library that isn't one of the free resources? And if I'm not allowed to share, then what is the intended purpose of the "Share" link for such resources? Or am I misunderstanding something?

Here's why I ask. I use Logos for my own study and for composing blog posts. I would like to provide a useful link to a resource for my readers, so that they can read it in the original for themselves.

Thank you,

Fred

Posts 1880
Philana Crouch | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 2 2012 12:04 AM

You can copy the text you wanted to share into the text box that opens on the sharing site.

Posts 5
Fred | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 2 2012 4:23 AM

Hi Philana,

Philana Crouch:

You can copy the text you wanted to share into the text box that opens on the sharing site.

Yes, I do that. But since Biblia's Share button provides a link to the original text on Biblia, I was hoping to be able to offer that link to my readers so that they can use it. That way they can see my quotation in context. But that doesn't seem to be possible unless my readers have a Biblia login *and* the resource I quote is either one they own or is freely provided by Biblia. My confusion is about the purpose of the link, since this seems to be a pretty strict limit on the "sharing." So I wonder if I'm understanding correctly how things work.

Thanks for your help.

Fred

Posts 33
M.J.D. | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 6 2012 1:21 PM

I'm also having trouble with sharing: Can someone at Logos confirm this is the right link?

I was trying to share the entry on tolerance from the Pocket Dictionary of Apologetics and Philosophy of Religion via Facebook. But the link provided results in a 404 error.

http://biblia.com/books/pdapr/IVPPocket.Tolerance_(Apologetics_$26_Philosophy_Of_Religion)

Posts 10924
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 6 2012 2:26 PM

Mark Denning:

I'm also having trouble with sharing: Can someone at Logos confirm this is the right link?

I was trying to share the entry on tolerance from the Pocket Dictionary of Apologetics and Philosophy of Religion via Facebook. But the link provided results in a 404 error.

Mark,

I think it's a resource error. It tried sharing this same entry on Faithlife - from L4 as well as from biblia.com, which produced two different links - and didn't succeed, while another dictionary-type resource worked. 

Running Logos 8 latest beta version on Win 10

Posts 156
Thomas Beirne | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 14 2012 10:35 AM

Sorry for the delay on addressing this!  I have a fix for this in place that should be getting deployed within the next day or two.  The previously generated links should start working once that happens.

Posts 3246
David Taylor Jr | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 22 2012 10:04 AM

Thomas Beirne:

Sorry for the delay on addressing this!  I have a fix for this in place that should be getting deployed within the next day or two.  The previously generated links should start working once that happens.

I also noticed when trying to share to faithlife, it wouldn't let me share a specific note in the FSB rather it went to the beginning of the chapter.  EX. I want to share the note on 1 Tim. 4:12 but it defaulted back to 1 Tim. 4:1 when trying to share.

Teacher, Ministry Leader, Student, Author, Husband

How to upload logs

Visit My Site: Reformed Truths

Posts 5
Fred | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 24 2012 11:38 AM

Hi Thomas,

Just following up here.

I've shared a link with someone. That link is this: http://biblia.com/books/catcathchrch/CCC.CCC_1

When she visits that link, after logging in she gets this:

Forbidden

Sorry, you don't have permission to view that book. (error 403)

Options

You may purchase a license for that book at Logos.com.

Is that what you are fixing? Because that's the problem I've had, and I need to know if it's supposed to work or if people really do have to buy the book before they can use the links.

Thank you,

Fred

Posts 6668
Forum MVP
Lynden Williams | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 24 2012 11:43 AM

Welcome to the forums Fred. Yes the other person will need to own the book inorder for them to read it when you share it. If you want them to see a small portion of it, then you may need to copy and paste the section, and something like faithlife.com or some other social media.

Lynden Williams Communications https://www.lyndenwilliams.net 

Posts 5
Fred | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 24 2012 11:53 AM

Thank you Lynden.

I must say, however, that while not surprising it's disappointing. Really, requiring people to buy before they can see is not any better than saying "Hi, look this up in your own copy of this book." I don't really see how that qualifies as "sharing" in any useful, Internet-ish sense.

I realize this is probably an issue driven more by publishers than anything, so I'm not exactly blaming Logos for the situation (although I think it's silly to call this "sharing", which is something Logos does control since it's their website). I will have to do something else, since I can't do actual sharing using Biblia.com.

Thank you for your input. I appreciate it. :-)

Fred

Posts 10924
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 25 2012 1:42 AM

Fred, 

Logos usually give a paragraph or so as an automatic citation, if you share e.g. on faithlife (don't know how this is implemented for other media).

I believe this is the maximum what Logos can do with respect to national and international copyright laws. They can't have you "share" in a sense of "give anybody who visits your FB profile complete access to all of their books". Otherwise I'd wish someone to share from the NICOT/NT commentaries (on sale for approx $1,000 right now).  

What's more, there are resources that are free on biblia (such as dozens of bibles in many languages). If you share from those, people will be able to see them in their entirety. These may change over time and may differentiate for registered users. 

Mick

Running Logos 8 latest beta version on Win 10

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS