Journals: The poor cousin that few seem to care about any more!

Page 3 of 4 (69 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next >
This post has 68 Replies | 7 Followers

Posts 1928
Donovan R. Palmer | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 15 2012 12:47 PM

LimJK:
We all know that source of TJL Vol 1 to 14 comes from Galaxie, do some googling :-)

To me, the Galaxie Journals is kind of like your favourite airline being bought out. They just aren't the same now. I'm hoping that something good comes of this thread because I am sure there are good explanations.

Posts 109
Brooks Cochran | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 15 2012 2:01 PM

I agree. There are things that I do not understand in this process. I have all the TJL. Galaxie, when they had control, never seemed to have these issues. The only explanation that I can think of is that the formating and processing for Logos 4 must be different from Libronix; hence new issues and problems. Perhaps it was easier and quicker under Libronix. Anyway, I'd hate to see this series dropped.

Posts 138
LogosEmployee
Clifford Kvidahl | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 16 2012 10:28 AM

Donovan R. Palmer:

LimJK:
We all know that source of TJL Vol 1 to 14 comes from Galaxie, do some googling :-)

To me, the Galaxie Journals is kind of like your favourite airline being bought out. They just aren't the same now. I'm hoping that something good comes of this thread because I am sure there are good explanations.

Donovan,

I wanted to let you know that the TJL 14 is set to ship on 7/27.

Cliff

Posts 1928
Donovan R. Palmer | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 16 2012 1:48 PM

Thanks for the update. Smile  I still have many unanswered questions about Logo's position on journals, but I'm looking forward to this coming out! 

Posts 570
Rev Chris | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 16 2012 3:06 PM

Rev Chris:

Let me add my voice to the crowd wanting more attention given to journals.  Something I'd love to see is ATLA listings in the MyPassageGuide, similar to the sermons section.  Even better would be a browser capability in Logos so that if I clicked on one of the ATLA links or a sermon link, instead of switching to my desktop browser it would open the page up directly inside Logos. 

Maybe in L6...

I'm sure I'm alone on wanting ATLA Serial listings in Logos, since nobody else has said they'd support this feature.  But in case someone else out there is interested and is wondering how Logos might begin to accomplish such a task, I believe this should work:

1) Logos would need browser capabilities inside the program.

2) A search can be done on Ebscohost for ATLA serials from any website, provided the user clicking on the link has an Ebscohost login (many seminaries offer this to alums free of charge).  The search url is: http://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&db=a6h&[SEARCH PARAMETERS HERE]&site=ehost-live

I don't know how other people's Ebsochost is set up, but with my seminary there is a search field for "Scripture" that uses the code "SR".  So, if I wanted to search for, say, all ATLA journal articles that reference Ruth chapter 2, I could run the following search:

http://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&db=a6h&bquery=%28SR+%28%22Ruth+2%22%29%29&site=ehost-live

If I wanted to search for all articles that reference Ruth chapters 2-4, I could expand the search to:

http://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&db=a6h&bquery=%28SR+%28%22Ruth+2%22%29%29+OR+%28SR+%28%22Ruth+3%22%29%29+OR+%28SR+%28%22Ruth+4%22%29%29&site=ehost-live

This uses the "OR" search parameter since Ebscohost doesn't seem to allow a range of scriptures to be searched.  It could be narrowed down to a series of single verses to be more precise, but that could become cumbersome.  Of course, if my seminary has a special setup with that "SR" scripture code for some reason, than the thing breaks down.  If anyone has success or failure using these links, let me know.

Pastor, seminary trustee, and app developer.  Check out my latest app for churches: The Church App

Posts 758
David A Egolf | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 16 2012 6:10 PM

Donald G. Fisher:

I have all of the previous journals and cancelled my pre-pub as well.  By far the journals are the highlight of what I enjoy reading.  Since I have recently acquired an iPad, I will not be purchasing any books through Logos which does not have access to a mobile device.  I rarely use my computer now and the thought of having to go back to reading off of a laptop is not pleasant.

I also have the BAR journals which are mentioned in this thread.  Again, it is to bad that these frequently used resources are going by the way-side. 

Don

I also have an aversion to reading from a laptop if the content is available from either my iPad or my Android tablets.  Among other things, it is a lot easier on my neck and shoulders at the end of the day.

How do you tell whether a particular product is available on mobile devices prior to purchase?  And, specifically, is the TJL available for mobile use?

Thanks,

David

Posts 138
LogosEmployee
Clifford Kvidahl | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 16 2012 6:18 PM

Donovan,

Shoot me an email at cliff.kvidahl@logos[dot]com. I would like to hear more about what your concerns are with Logos and journals.

Cliff

Posts 124
Donald G. Fisher | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 17 2012 4:36 AM

I also have an aversion to reading from a laptop if the content is available from either my iPad or my Android tablets.  Among other things, it is a lot easier on my neck and shoulders at the end of the day.

How do you tell whether a particular product is available on mobile devices prior to purchase?  And, specifically, is the TJL available for mobile use?

Thanks,

David

David,

When you look at any resource there will be images on which devices can be used with it.  Just under the image of the resource it says: "Works on" and it will list what it will be usable on.   It my case there is a icon of an iphone.  There are also icons of Windows/Mac.  Hope that helps. 

Blessings,

Don

Posts 277
Ergatees | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 17 2012 7:53 AM

Dominick,

I am grateful to you for this information and your explanation because I am a longtime purchaser of Galaxie products (journals) although I have not been visiting their site for a long time. Logos has so much going that it is obvious that it will not receive the attention that Galaxie gave their product which was a main draw for Galaxie.

Yours in Him,

Ergatees

Posts 485
Randy Lane | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 27 2012 9:35 AM

Delayed again. Only one business day though - Monday 07/30/2012. I can live with that.

Thanks again Logos. I know this is no easy task, and I appreciate you putting quality first. The last thing I want is to have Logos resources get released in substandard form just to make a release date.

Posts 325
Robert Wazlavek | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 27 2012 1:18 PM

I don't know anything about Journals, someone care to share information on them?  What they are exactly?  What their usefulness is?  Etc?

Posts 1928
Donovan R. Palmer | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 27 2012 1:39 PM

Without a doubt, this is an all time record of delays for journals. 

Posts 9946
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 27 2012 1:53 PM

Donovan R. Palmer:

Without a doubt, this is an all time record of delays for journals. 

I suggest they delay all shipping of any product for 6 mo so my bank acct can recover.  Wink

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 485
Randy Lane | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 27 2012 2:15 PM

I suggest they delay all shipping of any product for 6 mo so my bank acct can recover.  Wink

Except the Complete Works of Jonathan Edwards, correct?

Posts 758
David A Egolf | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 27 2012 2:29 PM

Journals are published by organizations and groups to give a forum for individual articles and essays on topics of interest to those groups.  They are typically published like magazines at regular intervals; e.g., four times a year.  The article content may be varied or they may be quite focused based on the desires of the publisher.

I have Logos resources which are journal volumes published by World Evangelical Fellowship.  The journal is named Evangelical Review of Theology.  There are about 30 articles in each volume ranging on varied topics such as preaching styles and missions.

I purchased the set spanning 22 years while I still was running Libronix.  I was disappointed at the time that Libronix was not even able to search the article titles.  I would not have been able to employ the content without spending a lot of personal time perusing the table of contents of each volume.

One of the first things I noted when I installed Logos 4 was the entire text of all the journals was included in the index.  As a result I have been able to locate pertinent articles on Church History (9 articles) and Missions (6 articles) which I have employed in my personal studies.

Posts 9946
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 27 2012 2:40 PM

Randal M Lane:

Except the Complete Works of Jonathan Edwards, correct?

They can put that off until the Millenium (if you believe in a Millenium).

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 1836
David Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 27 2012 3:24 PM

Robert Wazlavek:

I don't know anything about Journals, someone care to share information on them?  What they are exactly?  What their usefulness is?  Etc?

The other David did a good job of introducing them as Essays. If I could expound on his explanation as it relates to usefulness. I think of Journals as a collection of Essays written by Seminary professors on topics that may not have sufficient public appeal for a whole book. Imagine writing a paper or preaching a text and being able to use Logos to search for a citation in order to find an essay written by a professor at a respected Seminary on your topic or text of choice.

Making Disciples!  Logos Ecosystem = Logos8 on Microsoft Surface Pro 4 (Win10), Android app on tablet, FSB on iPhone, [deprecated] Windows App, Proclaim, Faithlife.com, FaithlifeTV via Connect subscription.

Posts 325
Robert Wazlavek | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 27 2012 6:53 PM

David Egolf:

Journals are published by organizations and groups to give a forum for individual articles and essays on topics of interest to those groups.  They are typically published like magazines at regular intervals; e.g., four times a year.  The article content may be varied or they may be quite focused based on the desires of the publisher.

I have Logos resources which are journal volumes published by World Evangelical Fellowship.  The journal is named Evangelical Review of Theology.  There are about 30 articles in each volume ranging on varied topics such as preaching styles and missions.

I purchased the set spanning 22 years while I still was running Libronix.  I was disappointed at the time that Libronix was not even able to search the article titles.  I would not have been able to employ the content without spending a lot of personal time perusing the table of contents of each volume.

One of the first things I noted when I installed Logos 4 was the entire text of all the journals was included in the index.  As a result I have been able to locate pertinent articles on Church History (9 articles) and Missions (6 articles) which I have employed in my personal studies.

David Thomas:

The other David did a good job of introducing them as Essays. If I could expound on his explanation as it relates to usefulness. I think of Journals as a collection of Essays written by Seminary professors on topics that may not have sufficient public appeal for a whole book. Imagine writing a paper or preaching a text and being able to use Logos to search for a citation in order to find an essay written by a professor at a respected Seminary on your topic or text of choice.

Thank you for the information guys.  So would these articles be akin to say bible dictionary articles in form?  I would assume the journal isn't alphabetized and that the articles cover more than simply major words in the bible of course.  But they sound similar otherwise: a bunch of relatively short articles on different subjects, written by different authors, compiled into one resource.

Posts 1836
David Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 27 2012 9:52 PM

Here is a free online sample of one journal. Search search logos site for "themelios" then search the same word in Google. This journal is available as a free PDF online, but for less than $2 you can have it in logos which is searchable and allows you to cut and paste into your own works.

Making Disciples!  Logos Ecosystem = Logos8 on Microsoft Surface Pro 4 (Win10), Android app on tablet, FSB on iPhone, [deprecated] Windows App, Proclaim, Faithlife.com, FaithlifeTV via Connect subscription.

Posts 98
JJ Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 28 2012 12:32 AM

Yes!  Thumbs up for Journals!  Very useful... and I think they often get to the crux of issues.  

Page 3 of 4 (69 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS