Bug-ish: Logos.com Resource Previews No Longer?

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
This post has 7 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 11433
DMB | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Jul 12 2012 4:53 PM

With Dana Valerie and the team offering great new single titles each week, who can resist?

This week offered http://www.logos.com/product/22189/a-thousand-tongues-the-wesley-hymns-as-a-guide-to-scriptural-teaching

It looks pretty interesting. I'd read that one of Wesley's challenges was moving hymns from 'inspired' (I put in quotes to indicate the hymn used Bible text) to everyday living and struggling. I don't know if that's true. I do like his hymns, having grown up with them.

That's when I noticed the preview 'looks' like it's standardized to a TOC and small chunk of preview. I thought it might be limits by the 'publishers' but then apparently the long dead authors from the late 1800s have refused previews too? Kind of doubt it.

May be a bug?

"God will save his fallen angels and their broken wings He'll mend."

Posts 5619
Todd Phillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 12 2012 5:44 PM

I see nothing strange.  Logos limits the previews on all of their products, including public domain.  That has always been my experience since they began the feature.  I personally have had problems with the randomness of the preview selections -- sometimes they aren't very useful.

Wiki Links: Enabling Logging / Detailed Search Help - MacBook Pro (2014), ThinkPad E570

Posts 1717
LogosEmployee
Bob Pritchett | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 12 2012 6:31 PM

We use the same algorithm for all the previews. As I recall, we show 5% of the content. In response to user feedback we modified it to show more of the front, so you can read front matter, table of contents, etc. Then the rest of the book is split into chunks.

Posts 11433
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 12 2012 6:43 PM

EDITED: I figured it out. Opera only pulls the first stage of the sample code. If you run it in Explorer, there's two stages that get pulled.

Opera's always pulled the samples fine until today. Oh well, sorry for the 'bug-ish' and appreciate the quick reply.

Posts 571
Martin Grainger Dean | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 13 2012 1:00 PM
Hi Bob. I'm new to Logos and this is a great feature for choosing future purchases. I'm wonder if this "inside preview" could not be extended to books from collections too. Not all books from those collections have a page preview feature. Martin
Posts 571
Martin Grainger Dean | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 14 2012 11:17 AM
Bump.
Posts 11433
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 14 2012 12:58 PM

Hi Martin. And welcome to the forums where your participation will certainly be appreciated!

You might get a bit more visability if you make a new thread in the Logos.com forum (same as here) and maybe a title along the lines of 'Suggestion: Previews Needed for Resources in Collections' or something like that. Then maybe some examples if you like.

In general, the Logos.com developers monitor the Logos.com forum for issues/improvements (and figure this thread is taken care of by the boss). Just guessing.

Posts 571
Martin Grainger Dean | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 14 2012 1:29 PM
OK, thanks. Will do. Although I hope the boss will answer positively. :) Martin
Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS