Hyperlinks in PowerPoint do not work after converting to Logos for Mac from Logos for Windows

Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
This post has 13 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 23
James F. Joyner III | Forum Activity | Posted: Sun, Jul 15 2012 4:44 AM

I created hyperlinks in many PowerPoint presentations in my Windows system

I bought a MacBook Pro, bought PowerPoint for Macs, and converted to Logos for Mac

None of my hyperlinks work; they appear as hyperlinks and the hyperlink data is still there: Cannot open the specified file (PowerPoint error message)

Hyperlinks to web sites work as expected

Posts 23
James F. Joyner III | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 15 2012 5:48 AM

Now I have tested Word for Macs and hyperlinks to Logos do not work there either.

Posts 27810
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 15 2012 8:46 AM

James - If I understand your issue correctly, the problem is with MSFT products for Mac. They change Logores links and break the link. There is no known workaround with MSFT office.

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 23
James F. Joyner III | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 15 2012 10:38 AM

So Logos has contacted Microsoft about this and Microsoft  refuses to take any action?

Posts 27810
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 15 2012 11:38 AM

James F. Joyner III:

So Logos has contacted Microsoft about this and Microsoft  refuses to take any action?

No. Why would Microsoft change their software to make it compatible with Logos? Why would they even pick up the phone? This issue annoys me to no end, but I think its a lost cause.

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 15 2012 6:24 PM

James F. Joyner III:
I created hyperlinks in many PowerPoint presentations in my Windows system

Microsoft Office 2011 on Mac understands web URL's but automatically adds file://localhost prefix to logosres URL's.

Wiki Mac and PC User Interface Differences includes => Microsoft Word Hyperlinks

Another office observation: Word 2010 handles Hebrew on Windows but Word 2011 on Mac has right to left issues.  In contrast, Word 2011 on Mac essentially embeds Publisher so can compete with Apple's Pages.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 23
James F. Joyner III | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 21 2012 2:16 PM

It seems like a solution might be found by inserting a shared drive or folder in the hyperlink base (Properties).

Posts 27810
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 21 2012 3:30 PM

James F. Joyner III:

It seems like a solution might be found by inserting a shared drive or folder in the hyperlink base (Properties).

I'm not sure I understand you. Actually, I am sure I don't understand you. Smile All I know is that MSFT changes the hyperlink and makes it incompatible with Logos. If you come up with a solution, please share.

Posts 23
James F. Joyner III | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 21 2012 3:37 PM

I've been reading a lot about this problem and it's possible there is a solution ... but I'm no computer expert so I probably don't really understand the problem in PP for Mac. The inserted command seems to be instructing PowerPoint where to find the file, but the file is not found. Suggested solutions have involved sharing and also pointers needed in the "Hyperlink base" entry in PowerPoint Properties. I still have some requests out for help and will post what I learn. 

Posts 23
James F. Joyner III | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 24 2012 4:50 PM

Here's an update ...

I have been able to get PowerPoint for Mac 2011 on a MacBook Pro (first using Lion and now Mountain Lion) to open the Logos app.

The "Link to" command in PowerPoint for Mac 2011 is     file://localhost/Applications/Logos%20Bible%20Software%204.app

I have not yet been able to get Logos to open the document I want, but I will keep trying, trying, trying ...

Honestly, I think the Logos programmers could have figured this out if they took the time to help ... 

How about now guys, will you help solve the last part of the hyperlink issue so we can go directly to documents (probably using the "anchor" feature)?

Then you can just automate this for Macs so the entire link is just a cut-and-paste exercise, right?

Posts 27810
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 24 2012 4:59 PM

James F. Joyner III:
Honestly, I think the Logos programmers could have figured this out if they took the time to help ... 

As I tried explaining before, this is a Microsoft issue. There is nothing the Logos programmers can do. The Mac version of Office will not accept the appropriate links.

Posts 23
James F. Joyner III | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 24 2012 5:51 PM

Yes, you tried to explain this before. And I'm guessing you'll be trying to explain it to me after I figure out the last half of this puzzle. 

Posts 27810
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 24 2012 6:39 PM

James F. Joyner III:
Yes, you tried to explain this before. And I'm guessing you'll be trying to explain it to me after I figure out the last half of this puzzle.

No. I'll eat my humble pie. Smile

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 25 2012 9:27 AM

James F. Joyner III:
The "Link to" command in PowerPoint for Mac 2011 is     file://localhost/Applications/Logos%20Bible%20Software%204.app

Thanks Smile plus tried adding an anchor with logosres, but the anchor did not work.

One idea to try is an Office 2011 hyperlink to a bookmark html page, which has links to Logos resources.

Keep Smiling Smile

Page 1 of 1 (14 items) | RSS