Is this a joke?

Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
This post has 13 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 11433
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 21 2012 10:58 AM

You're thinking maybe the prices need to be increased up to Amazon's quotes for the hardback versions? (they're all recent; not early 1900s)

"God will save his fallen angels and their broken wings He'll mend."

Posts 506
Nord Zootman | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 21 2012 11:06 AM

They are double Amazon's price for the paperbacks

Posts 432
George | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 21 2012 1:24 PM

DMB:

You're thinking maybe the prices need to be increased up to Amazon's quotes for the hardback versions? (they're all recent; not early 1900s)

You've got to be kidding!  The whole 53 volume set sells for 1750$.  Even if all the volumes were recently published which is not the case at all (for example http://www.logos.com/product/4104/a-critical-and-exegetical-commentary-on-numbers, published in 1903 and still listed at 95$) the prices for individual volumes is ridiculous.  I understand more recent volumes should be more expensive, but coughing up 380$ for the Matthew commentaries is way beyond the means of most of the people in ministry I know and as far as I know students and professors in seminaries are not that rich either.  The marketing people behind these prices must know something most of us don't.

Posts 2038
Unix | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 21 2012 1:59 PM

I'm thinking of getting the Ep and 2 Cor 1-7 ($110)  -volumes (I have no commentaries on those books/parts-of-books). I'm probably buying them with Logos, and they are not very cheap as printed matter (printed would not be an option as I would be unable to look up things).
Someone is asking for opinions on the Ep -volume in: http://forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=694165 ... and there's links to reviews.
The Mt -commentaries are said to be good, but I've chosen Hermeneia myself. I can sell the Mt 8-28 -volumes in Hermeneia if someone is interested: http://www.christianforums.com/t7672959
I'm not in ministry or seminary. I'll be going to a Catholic school (adult tuition on high-school -level) for a year and after that I'll take 1 semester Gk class, and after that I have no plans yet. I have very low income & a high rent to pay because I live in large city area so I would need to get an OK job after the studies and at some later point study a bit more. But I'm not the type of guy who does really long studies.
I've asked a sales rep for a -5% discount, but didn't get it. His reply on July 18. was:

The products are locked in at the lowest prices, in negotiations with publishers we
have certain prices that are set.
George:
but coughing up 380$ for the Matthew commentaries is way beyond the means of most of the people in ministry I know and as far as I know students and professors in seminaries are not that rich either.

Aply!
trulyergonomic.com 6,200own
12G A9-9420 V8.6 Acc 11
d:'13Q3 12G

Posts 11433
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 21 2012 3:06 PM

George ... the pricing on this set has ALWAYS been exhorbitant. Do a search on the Logos forum. But apparently people do see the value. The new ones are arguable; you'd have to see how much the publisher and reseller have invested.

But Nord gave you the correct answer ... if indeed the volumes are 'critical', the new ones are easily obtainable at a very affordable price (and the older ones at a free price).

Just yesterday I needed a critical volume for the OT and Amazon delivered (Logos didn't carry it).

Posts 432
George | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 21 2012 4:05 PM

DMB:

George ... the pricing on this set has ALWAYS been exhorbitant.

I agree wholeheartedly!

DMB:

But apparently people do see the value.

If these things were priced right, a lot more people would.

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 21 2012 6:25 PM

DMB:

George ... the pricing on this set has ALWAYS been exhorbitant. Do a search on the Logos forum. But apparently people do see the value. The new ones are arguable; you'd have to see how much the publisher and reseller have invested.

But Nord gave you the correct answer ... if indeed the volumes are 'critical', the new ones are easily obtainable at a very affordable price (and the older ones at a free price).

Just yesterday I needed a critical volume for the OT and Amazon delivered (Logos didn't carry it).

Buy the complete set of OT & NT commentaries (I know, it's a lot) and it's $33/vol.  If you contact a sales rep, you might be able to get it cheaper.

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 1955
Donovan R. Palmer | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 22 2012 1:15 AM

This series was on sale about a year ago. Still expensive, but there are some volumes in this series that are highly desirable. George Somsel is correct, I am pretty sure you can do better than the web list price by calling in.

Posts 70
james e snow | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 22 2012 2:42 PM

Donovan R. Palmer:

This series was on sale about a year ago. Still expensive, but there are some volumes in this series that are highly desirable. George Somsel is correct, I am pretty sure you can do better than the web list price by calling in.

Do you recall the sale price by chance?

Posts 1955
Donovan R. Palmer | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 23 2012 3:35 AM

I 'think' it was on sale for about $1,200, but I could be mistaken. 

Posts 11433
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 23 2012 6:54 AM

Well, for a few pennies more you could get the Anchor Yale series which is newer, far larger, and whose author's you'll run into in other recent Logos offerings. I got it using the Christmas credit, which dropped the effective price considerably. I keep the ICC pdfs on my PC for specific authors/books.

Posts 70
james e snow | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 23 2012 8:08 AM

Thanks, Donovan.

Posts 2038
Unix | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 24 2012 9:30 AM

Here's excerpts from the Mt 1-20 -commentaries: http://www.christianforums.com/t7638991-post61045834/#post61045834
http://www.christianforums.com/t7664120-post60779969/#post60779969

Unix:
I can sell the Mt 8-28 -volumes in Hermeneia if someone is interested: http://www.christianforums.com/t7672959
George:
but coughing up 380$ for the Matthew commentaries is way beyond the means

of most of the people in ministry I know and as far as I know students and professors in seminaries are not that rich either.

Aply!
trulyergonomic.com 6,200own
12G A9-9420 V8.6 Acc 11
d:'13Q3 12G

Page 1 of 1 (14 items) | RSS