Suggestion: Optionally sell products in both formats (electronic copy and physical copy).

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
This post has 4 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 44
Sam Shaw | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Nov 18 2009 9:40 PM

Intro

There can be many reasons why one would like to have a product in both electronic and physical formats. While there are obvious advantages to the Logos format like possibly greater portability (if on a laptop), faster browsing/word searches, and instant reference look-up, etc., there are also advantages to having the physical copy.

For example, if you're off the grid, books still work. Also, some people don't have laptops, so it can be easier to pick a book off the shelf and sit down with some friends for a Bible study than having to walk over to the computer every time you don't understand what a passage means. Additionally, some people deal with temptation when on their computer in both big ways and small, so it's nice to have access to Jesus without simultaneously having easy access to the cookie jar. And last but not least, it's much easier to justify having a book in your hand than explaining to your girl why you're "playing on the computer" for the umpteenth-billion time.

The Request

I'm sure I've said nothing new up to this point. But what I'm trying to say is that because each format has it's advantages, a person might want to have a product in both formats. I know this is an incredible request, but would Logos consider optionally selling products in both formats? I simply would like to have both formats without paying for the same product twice, even if it would cost just a little bit more. Is there a way you can strike a deal with any of the publishing companies whereby purchasing the electronic edition gives you a coupon code you can take to the publisher's website and buy the physical product at that product's production price (the "[costing] just a little bit more" part)?

The Bargain

Again, I'm willing to pay the difference each company experiences (like the mere production cost of the physical product), but I'm hoping that's possible without paying as much as double. Thank you for your time and consideration!

Posts 2778
J.R. Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 18 2009 10:03 PM

Sam Shaw:
I know this is an incredible request, but would Logos consider optionally selling products in both formats? I simply would like to have both formats without paying for the same product twice, even if it would cost just a little bit more.
That would be a decision each publisher has to make.  As best I can tell, Logos would have no real say in it.

You best option for results is to contact each publisher directly.

Good luck.

My Books in Logos & FREE Training

Posts 9134
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 18 2009 10:28 PM

Fortress Press has already done this with some of their books. They include a Logos-compatible disk with some of the books so you can have both versions.

http://www.augsburgfortress.org/store/category.jsp?productgroupid=0&categoryid=781&clsid=177975&page_number=1

I am not sure that all the books they list have Logos compatible discs, but some do.

The Logos site also lists these titles:

http://www.logos.com/search?q=fortress

So far, Fortress seems to be the only publisher that has done this.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 18 2009 10:48 PM

Mark A. Smith:

So far, Fortress seems to be the only publisher that has done this. 

Baker has done a couple that way. I have their "Encountering the New Testament" but it is NOT Libronix format. (That same title is in Pre-Pub now.)

I have most of the Fortress titles and I think it is a nice deal. It is a little more acceptable to spend Thanksgiving in a relative's living room reading Luther from a book rather than booting up a laptop. Although both are more interesting than football. Sleep

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 18 2009 11:32 PM

Matthew C Jones:

I have most of the Fortress titles and I think it is a nice deal. It is a little more acceptable to spend Thanksgiving in a relative's living room reading Luther from a book rather than booting up a laptop. Although both are more interesting than football. Sleep

That rather depends on who's playing.  If it's the traditional Detroit Lions vs Whoever game, forget it since it will be a ho-hum game (though they actually won a game this year against the hapless Redskins).

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS