Printing notes

Page 1 of 4 (65 items) 1 2 3 4 Next >
This post has 64 Replies | 4 Followers

Posts 30
Clay Womble | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Nov 19 2009 6:10 AM

Can I print my notes with cutting and pasting them? Also is there a way to export them?

Posts 8602
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 19 2009 7:23 AM

Sorry Clayton,

Printing enhancements are coming (What’s Missing from Logos 4 ) hopefully that will include notes.  (And handouts, and clippings, and resources, and...)

Truth Is Still Truth Even if You Don't Believe It

Check the Wiki

Warning: Sarcasm is my love language. I may inadvertently express my love to you.

Posts 3197
Whyndell Grizzard | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 23 2009 5:09 AM

THIS MUST BE A PRIORITY ISSUE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why give us a function and program for study and sermon prep with no tool to print our work? Duh!!!!!!

Sorry don't mean to be rude but I was just finishing some work for Wed. evenings when I realized no print function for notes- now its copy and paste and thats going to be tedious with the way notes is set up.

Posts 27529
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 23 2009 3:13 PM

Patience can be a Christian virtue: James 1:2 Hebrews 6:11Big Smile

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 5569
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 23 2009 3:24 PM

MJ. Smith:

Patience can be a Christian virtue: James 1:2 Hebrews 6:11Big Smile

so is humility (Eph 4:2; Phil 2:3)

(Hmm, this is supposed to show up in a really small font.)

Help links: WIKI;  Logos 6 FAQ. (Phil. 2:14, NIV)

Posts 3810
spitzerpl | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 23 2009 3:42 PM

Whyndell Grizzard:

THIS MUST BE A PRIORITY ISSUE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why give us a function and program for study and sermon prep with no tool to print our work? Duh!!!!!!

I can see where your coming from Whyndell. For many people printing is a basic function of every program they own. I don't need to be able to print, I just need to be able to get what I'm viewing on the screen onto a piece of paper somehow :-)

Posts 18
Donald Minshew | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 11 2009 4:25 AM

I, too, find it irritating that one of the most simple of computer processes was ignored in the development of the product.  Grace and patience are virtues; accountability is, as well.  Libronix has not given the product to us; they have sold it.  They have not only sold it; they have promoted it as superior to the former product. 

Anyway, I have been able to get a note file onto paper by putting the file into reading view and using a print screen utility to export to an image.  I am then able to put it into a word processor and expand the image (a necessity).   It cannot be otherwise manipulated, but at least I can have the note on a paper...though I have to limit the size of the note file to be able to fit on a page.

Posts 1134
Juanita | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 11 2009 6:04 AM

DonaldMinshew:

I, too, find it irritating that one of the most simple of computer processes was ignored in the development of the product.  Grace and patience are virtues; accountability is, as well.  Libronix has not given the product to us; they have sold it.  They have not only sold it; they have promoted it as superior to the former product. 

I, too, find it unacceptable that a program I own a license to cannot print and also I cannot copy and paste some important results.  I do value the new features but at the same time, they do not make up for the lack of an entirely basic function as printing.   So, I have not told my friends about L4 and will wait to demo it to them when features that are integral are up to speed. Interesting, when I am not on the forum for a day or so, I regain balance and realize IMHO that telling users who are disgruntled to have patience can be viewed as something opposite to humility.

Posts 448
Bill Cook | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 11 2009 7:45 AM

For the time being, perhaps you could use something like OneNote. LaRosa Johnson gives a nice 'tut' for such--

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5QGGD7rOEYs

Posts 17
Mark E Schaaf | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 29 2009 6:46 PM

Dear Clayton:

I found your post while looking for a solution to the same problem  (love this Forum for that kind of thing).  I didn't find one, so I created my own workaround.  Since it seems to be successful, I thought I'd share it (ugly as it is).

Solution:  I have Logos 3 (under the guise of one of the eBible packages from Thomas Nelson).  I have it open, create a Note file there.  I click in the individual note entry and can copy from Logos4 to Logos3 paste no problem.  (I guess that makes sense if it is using the Windows clipboard?).  Once in a Logos3 Note file, all the printing we're used to / looking for is there...  

This is stating the obvious, but I don't think I saw it posted.  Hope it helps.  If you don't have Logos4 - my guess is you could use copy/paste into a Word doc, too.

Happy New Year - here's to hoping we'll get some of these features back that we dearly miss to go with all the new, good stuff in Logos4.

Mark

Posts 403
777 | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 31 2009 5:51 AM

This is AWESOME.

I'm saving toner and paper like you wouldn't believe!!  How innovative! I feel like hugging trees!!  Everything looks GREEN.

I tried to print a topic from the Logos 4 help file and that will not work either.

Let's all hope that when printing does work in Logos 4 (and I am sure that it will at some juncture) that you will not be required to purchase a Logos 4 laser printer from Logos as an add-on resource.

-----------------------------------

I just checked the pre-pub page and there is no printer listed there, so it looks like maybe we'll get to use the printers that we already own.  Someday.

3D Smileys

Posts 18
Donald Minshew | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 26 2010 10:03 AM

Is anyone else reading the plans like I do?  If this feature happens, it will be in the second quarter of this year?

Posts 569
J. Morris | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 26 2010 10:29 AM

DonaldMinshew:
it will be in the second quarter of this year?

Sad

Posts 1
Richard Bacon | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 4 2010 12:47 PM

I read "better printing support." I have been using Logos for many years (my original customer number was 47), and I wholeheartedly and enthusiastically have made every upgrade they have offered from 1.0 to 1.5 to 1.6 to 2.0 to 3.0 and now to 4.0 and I have been pleased at every step.

But printing my own notes and being able to print clippings after I've assembled them is really pretty basic. It seems to me that it should receive top priority.

Not complaining -- I'm just saying... Hmm

Posts 18
Donald Minshew | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 16 2010 7:10 AM

Every time I open the blog from Logos 4, I get more irritated.  There's a free app for the iPhone (which I don't use - I'm a Blackberry fan myself)...but I can't print my notes (even though I've paid to have Logos 4).  There are all these handouts...that I don't think I'll really use...and I can print and print and print something that Logos has developed...but I can't print my notes.  Logos, are you listening!

Posts 120
Mark Watson | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 16 2010 7:17 AM

RichardBacon:

But printing my own notes and being able to print clippings after I've assembled them is really pretty basic. It seems to me that it should receive top priority.

Not complaining -- I'm just saying...

Ditto on that Richard.  These are basic functions that need to be moved up in priority for those who use Logos to study with.  Not just read books.

Posts 65
J. Bryant Evans | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 16 2010 9:20 AM

I wonder if it is asking too much to have Bob actually come here and explain his reasoning for backburnering (new word!) this issue. It has been on the coming soon list since at least October. Workarounds are fine but that really begs the question.

It's just incredible to me that we are even having this discussion.

Posts 5569
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 16 2010 9:55 AM

JosephBEvans:

I wonder if it is asking too much to have Bob actually come here and explain his reasoning for backburnering (new word!) this issue. It has been on the coming soon list since at least October. Workarounds are fine but that really begs the question.

It's just incredible to me that we are even having this discussion.

I'll let Bob speak about what the technical issues might be in resolving this, along with any reasons this isn't higher on the priority list.

But the major reason that we don't have more printing options now is that when Logos reviewed the user stat's for Libronix (L3), they found that very few people ever printed from L3 (this was discussed very early on, maybe in the pre-release beta days). I printed maybe twice, but was not satisfied with the output, so I, for one, never made a practice out of printing directly from Logos. (I've been using Logos since version 1.6.)

I did copy/paste and print, where I had some control over output, margins, formatting, etc. And do miss being able to copy/paste a verse list (e.g.) from time to time. I do need this ability in order to do in-depth word-studies where I can both save an annotate my own work. And I need it to print out a list of verses to offer folks for further reflection (I did one recently for verses related to anxiety/fear). But verse lists are coming back. And while I'd probably never print directly from Logos, I do hope we'll be able to copy/paste the content into the word processor of our choice.

Unlike some, I've never used the note function for taking notes I'd use to lead a Bible study, or preach a message. I do that in WordPerfect. I only use notes to keep track of tidbits of information I've learned, so that I can remember them the next time I look at this text.

Posts 120
Mark Watson | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 16 2010 2:39 PM

Richard DeRuiter:
But the major reason that we don't have more printing options now is that when Logos reviewed the user stat's for Libronix (L3), they found that very few people ever printed from L3 (this was discussed very early on, maybe in the pre-release beta days). I printed maybe twice, but was not satisfied with the output, so I, for one, never made a practice out of printing directly from Logos. (I've been using Logos since version 1.6.)

Richard - thanks for the information.

Personally, I "print" from Logos 3 all the time.  Sometimes I will print several dictionary articles to refer to when teaching a class.  Or if someone asks me for information on ____________ (insert any Bible Encyclopedia topic here), I would print out the information and hand it to them.  Quicker and easier than cut and paste into a Word Processor of any brand.

Oh, by the way, I used L3 on a desktop without internet connection for 4 years, it still is normally not connected to the internet.  So Logos did not get my stats.

Posts 5569
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 16 2010 3:24 PM

Mark Watson:
Personally, I "print" from Logos 3 all the time.  Sometimes I will print several dictionary articles to refer to when teaching a class.  Or if someone asks me for information on ____________ (insert any Bible Encyclopedia topic here), I would print out the information and hand it to them.  Quicker and easier than cut and paste into a Word Processor of any brand.

That's different than how I think about it. For several articles, I can cut/paste them, edit out any unnecessary information (if applicable) and usually print more than one article per page to hand out. Having everything on one page is more convenient for me and those in my Bible study classes, etc. With WordPerfect's "Make it Fit" function, those two or three line over-spills to the next page are a thing of the past. And even if it's not quicker to print out individually, by the time it comes to making copies and distributing them all, it pays off. For just one article, for just one person, that's not true. But for multiple articles for multiple people, it seems to be.

But de gustibus no disputatum est. Or as they say now YMMV.

Mark Watson:
Oh, by the way, I used L3 on a desktop without internet connection for 4 years, it still is normally not connected to the internet.  So Logos did not get my stats.

Even some of those with an internet connection chose not to share their usage stat's with Logos. The reason Logos is reconsidering adding printing is because many of those who chose not to report, are asking for it to be returned. (There are a few other functions being reconsidered for the same reason.)

Page 1 of 4 (65 items) 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS