Printing notes

Page 2 of 4 (65 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next >
This post has 64 Replies | 4 Followers

Posts 65
J. Bryant Evans | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 17 2010 4:25 AM

Richard, thanks for your reply. I have read about usage stats but I for one typically do not allow programs to report back statistics. It's a security and privacy issue for me. I don't know how many users send data back and forth to Logos but I doubt I was one. Usage stats seem to be an excuse to explain slow development. Let me ask, how often do users use the various manuscript fragments that are included? Stats tell us what we want and without a complete universe from which reach conclusions you ought not simply drop a fundamental piece of the program.

I too have been using Logos since version 1.x and I love. It was like an old pair of shoes that fit perfectly. I could use the program quickly and easily and get exactly what I wanted. I would pull things together and  then print out the results of my work. Logos has never had a fully functioning word processor and that was fine with me. I still don't care about that. But I would say that at least some rudimentary note keeping function with printing is indicated. Since is printing is a ubiquitous function in all programs it just remains shocking that we don't have it.

Now Bob runs the company. It is his. It was his risk as an entrepreneur and capitalist to begin Logos and he certainly calls the shots. He doesn't owe me anything. He has provided a marvelous service to the Bible students of the world. What concerns me however is to say something is coming soon and now months later it is still not here. Add to that the discussion that seems to indicate he is not really interested in developing this (he hasn't said that but some who seem to be in the know have suggested as much).

I think this is likely my last post on the issue. Surely Bob has heard and has offered direction to his developers to work on this or not. As I said, he is a business owner in a market economy. Customers can vote economically if they wish. But I think an explanation of his current thinking and reasons for the delay would be nice - even if not owed.

Posts 47
Tim Murray | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 17 2010 5:00 AM

Notes that won't print.  Simply amazing.

Posts 76
Philip Gurgel | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 17 2010 5:20 AM

JosephBEvans:

Richard, thanks for your reply. I have read about usage stats but I for one typically do not allow programs to report back statistics. It's a security and privacy issue for me. I don't know how many users send data back and forth to Logos but I doubt I was one. Usage stats seem to be an excuse to explain slow development. Let me ask, how often do users use the various manuscript fragments that are included? Stats tell us what we want and without a complete universe from which reach conclusions you ought not simply drop a fundamental piece of the program.

I too have been using Logos since version 1.x and I love. It was like an old pair of shoes that fit perfectly. I could use the program quickly and easily and get exactly what I wanted. I would pull things together and  then print out the results of my work. Logos has never had a fully functioning word processor and that was fine with me. I still don't care about that. But I would say that at least some rudimentary note keeping function with printing is indicated. Since is printing is a ubiquitous function in all programs it just remains shocking that we don't have it.

Now Bob runs the company. It is his. It was his risk as an entrepreneur and capitalist to begin Logos and he certainly calls the shots. He doesn't owe me anything. He has provided a marvelous service to the Bible students of the world. What concerns me however is to say something is coming soon and now months later it is still not here. Add to that the discussion that seems to indicate he is not really interested in developing this (he hasn't said that but some who seem to be in the know have suggested as much).

I think this is likely my last post on the issue. Surely Bob has heard and has offered direction to his developers to work on this or not. As I said, he is a business owner in a market economy. Customers can vote economically if they wish. But I think an explanation of his current thinking and reasons for the delay would be nice - even if not owed.

I'm pretty sure that Bob has been very straightforward in telling us that the print function of Logos 4 is coming in the second quarter of 2010.   So in that respect, I don't understand why someone would be upset about it not being out yet.   It certainly doesn't suggest to me that he has no interest in developing this feature. 

Posts 611
Graham Owen | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 17 2010 5:32 AM

Richard DeRuiter:
But the major reason that we don't have more printing options now is that when Logos reviewed the user stat's for Libronix (L3), they found that very few people ever printed from L3

I guess this reveals the problem with relying on Stats. I would classify myself as one who does not print from Logos very often but who still considers it an important feature. I know that we can get around this by copying and pasting into other programs and printing from there but I think it is now clear that printing from Logos 4 needs to be implemented as a priority and if it is going to be Q2 2010 then it should be April and not June...

God Bless

Graham

Pastor - NTCOG Basingstoke

Posts 18
Donald Minshew | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 17 2010 6:31 AM

I suppose because the current issue, the printing of notes, has never been clearly addressed.  We know that there are some printing issues that will be resolved in 2Q2010 but there have been other general printing issues listed in previous updates that came and went without this issue being resolved.  It won't keep me from using Logos4, but it is aggravating...

Posts 76
Philip Gurgel | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 18 2010 6:58 AM

I thought it had been clearly addressed that printing support of notes and other aspects of Logos 4 would be available 2 Q 2010.  Everything I've read has made that fairly clear. 

Posts 65
J. Bryant Evans | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 18 2010 7:34 AM

Ok, said I wasn't posting anything else but I do need to clear something up.

Yes, printing support of notes and such is now set for 2Q. However, in the original web page which listed missing and coming features and updates, some improvement in notes was listed as coming soon. That page has been updated and no longer includes the "coming soon" section. But I think, and do correct me if I am wrong, enhancements to notes was a part of that original section.

Posts 248
Daniel Arnott | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 18 2010 10:27 AM

I thought it had gone! Thought I was going mad there for a second but did recall it saying about printing. Silly stats aside I think it is outrageous that printing isn't included. No one can convince me otherwise! Come on Logos!

Posts 4706
Forum MVP
Fred Chapman | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 18 2010 10:37 AM

Daniel Arnott:

I thought it had gone! Thought I was going mad there for a second but did recall it saying about printing. Silly stats aside I think it is outrageous that printing isn't included. No one can convince me otherwise! Come on Logos!

I think I read somewhere that they have reviewed the L4 stats and discovered that since its release no one is printing notes.Confused

Just a little attempt to lighten things up a bit.Wink

Posts 569
J. Morris | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 18 2010 11:06 AM

Fred Chapman:

I think I read somewhere that they have reviewed the L4 stats and discovered that since its release no one is printing notes.Confused

Just a little attempt to lighten things up a bit.Wink

LOL! Excellent

Posts 2694
DominicM | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 18 2010 12:57 PM

MJ. Smith:

Patience can be a Christian virtue: James 1:2 Hebrews 6:11Big Smile

sorry wont pray for it, have enought tribulation...

Never Deprive Anyone of Hope.. It Might Be ALL They Have

Posts 85
Mike Waugh | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 25 2010 11:35 AM

Just adding to the list...

I wanted to copy a very long article from a Bible dictionary. Selecting the text was a slow and tedious process - it was taking a long time to scroll through the article. So, I thought I'd try to use 'Control-A' but that didn't work. 

What made it worse was that the person I wanted to print the article for was sitting right here with me. He laughed at me because my "million dollar software" (his words) can't do what his "free software" (internet) can do - print. 

I know... it's coming. 

Dell Studio XPS16 / Win 7 64bit / i7 Q720 @ 1.60GHz (2.80GHz Turbo) 6MB Cache / 4GB RAM / 500GM Hard Disk @ 7200 RPM / ATI Mobility RADEON® HD 4670 – 1GB

Posts 5569
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 25 2010 12:39 PM

Michael Waugh:

Just adding to the list...

I wanted to copy a very long article from a Bible dictionary. Selecting the text was a slow and tedious process - it was taking a long time to scroll through the article. So, I thought I'd try to use 'Control-A' but that didn't work. 

What made it worse was that the person I wanted to print the article for was sitting right here with me. He laughed at me because my "million dollar software" (his words) can't do what his "free software" (internet) can do - print. 

I know... it's coming. 

If you press F11, it makes the current pane full screen. That should make copy/pasting long articles much easier and quicker.

Help links: WIKI;  Logos 6 FAQ. (Phil. 2:14, NIV)

Posts 76
Philip Gurgel | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 25 2010 12:45 PM

JosephBEvans:

Ok, said I wasn't posting anything else but I do need to clear something up.

Yes, printing support of notes and such is now set for 2Q. However, in the original web page which listed missing and coming features and updates, some improvement in notes was listed as coming soon. That page has been updated and no longer includes the "coming soon" section. But I think, and do correct me if I am wrong, enhancements to notes was a part of that original section.

Not that I recall.  I've been following along with it since the beginning, and I never remember seeing it being set at anything other than coming in 2Q.

Posts 2
Manuel Josh Vieira | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 26 2010 1:40 PM

I just upgraded and so many of the features of Libronix 3 are gone.  Sure, the ones that made it to Logos 4 are better, but that doesn't explain the loss of existing features.  What baffles me is the shameless posts on the website like "these features you already had are gone but will be back soon... in the mean time, you can still use Libronix 3 - yay!"

I just spent all my time doing sermon prep this week trying out the notes system.  I wanted to print it and take it with me when I go home because I don't have this installed on my home computer.  I go to print.  Wait.  What?  No print?

Why would they release incomplete software?

Posts 5337
Kevin Becker | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 26 2010 1:49 PM

Manuel Josh Vieira:

I just upgraded and so many of the features of Libronix 3 are gone.  Sure, the ones that made it to Logos 4 are better, but that doesn't explain the loss of existing features.  What baffles me is the shameless posts on the website like "these features you already had are gone but will be back soon... in the mean time, you can still use Libronix 3 - yay!"

I just spent all my time doing sermon prep this week trying out the notes system.  I wanted to print it and take it with me when I go home because I don't have this installed on my home computer.  I go to print.  Wait.  What?  No print?

Why would they release incomplete software?

Read this http://community.logos.com/forums/p/6959/55615.aspx#55615

Posts 5569
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 26 2010 2:43 PM

Manuel Josh Vieira:

You can copy/paste into Word, or the word processor of your choice and print from there (one note at a time).So at least there is a work-around for now.

The reason printing isn't in yet: according to Logos' user statistics the vast majority of Logos3 users never printed from L3 (I never did, e.g.).

Help links: WIKI;  Logos 6 FAQ. (Phil. 2:14, NIV)

Posts 18
Donald Minshew | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 26 2010 5:28 PM

I would have no problem with the lack of a print feature, if you could open a Note page and copy the entire page as one, then paste it into a word processor.  The copy a little, paste a little thing is almost worse than nothing....

Posts 14
Austin Preik | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 26 2010 9:16 PM

Yes, patience in waiting to release a finished product with elementary features that were included in the predecessor is virtuous; great point!  Big Smile 

Posts 76
Philip Gurgel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 27 2010 8:28 AM

Yet, if Logos would have waited until they had a completely finished product (including all aspects used by the minority of the program users), people like myself, who don't use printing, wouldn't be using L4 right now.

L4 has been a blessing to many people even in it's incomplete state.  It has a number of features that have made my study much more powerful. Adding a Ipod/Iphone app (although one I'm not quite pleased w/ at this time), for example, makes it an even more powerful and accessible tool.

If you are in the 10% who don't have a use supported, I hope your features get added soon.  But keep in mind their decision to market the product early has been a blessing to a huge number, if not the majority, of people.

Page 2 of 4 (65 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS