Logos Is Too Expensive

Page 7 of 20 (388 items) « First ... < Previous 5 6 7 8 9 Next > ... Last »
This post has 387 Replies | 12 Followers

Posts 701
ChelseaFC | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 2 2012 4:37 PM

Nah. It's actually an intriguing (and great) tread. It's like a British or American political debate. Good points are made on both sides and it keeps going and going and........

Chelsea FC- Today is a good day!

Posts 468
BKMitchell | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 2 2012 5:16 PM

Super Tramp:
I just don't get why users can't afford $4 a book 

Neither, do I

Super Tramp:
and why WS, QV, and BW can't match it. 

I don't know anything about WS or QV, but as for BW their marketing strategy is very different from everyone else so this is like comparing apples with oranges. They sell only one basic product with the 'works' which includes actual manuscript images, new transcriptions and a lot more and a few add modules for those whom need it. It really all depends on what one wants, if it is a growing theological library (with exegetical resources) then no one can beat Logos! If, on the other hand one isn't interested in building a library, and doesn't care about having commentaries (which BW as a matter of principle doesn't offer), and they only want great exegetical tools then I think BW is far cheaper then anyone else out there.

(But keep in mind BW is not trying to match Logos in the sale of commentaries and christian fictional works. BW is strictly an original language resource suite)

I speak as one who owns (or rather have acquired license for) Logos4 OL (with a lot of add ons), the Libronix SESB 3, and BW9 (and finds high value in all three software platforms!).  And, I can tell you that:

Logos4 is not too expensive for those who want the widest range of modern resources and exegetical tools.  No, one else comes even half way close to offering what Logos does.

חַפְּשׂוּ בַּתּוֹרָה הֵיטֵב וְאַל תִּסְתַּמְּכוּ עַל דְּבָרַי

Posts 14
Joel Reed | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 3 2012 1:35 PM

Kelvin Chiu:

Yes some packages are not really useful. Why don't just download the Logos4 base package and then order whatever you think is useful?

Kelvin

This topic is getting rather interesting, but I think this is my favourite suggestion. The more I think about, the more I realize that I don't actually want a lot of the resources Logos offers with their packages. (Such as 'The Message' translation ... that's about as lame and heretical as it gets) 

There are also a lot of resources that Logos doesn't offer with their software, or even on their website, so perhaps the best way to accomplish my particular goals would be purchasing the books I actually want to own rather than simply getting a bunch of books I don't really need.

Posts 14
Joel Reed | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 3 2012 1:38 PM

Milford Charles Murray:

Peace to you, Joel!                                

God Bless you and your Loved ones richly!                      

Thank you for coming back to this thread to bid all a friendly and truly gentle and humble (in a Christian sense!) Fare Well!

*smile*

Much appreciated!                                          

Thanks for the kind words!

Posts 2038
Unix | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 3 2012 2:04 PM

Joel, that is a wise approach. I'm avoiding "Bible" versions that I don't want myself too, such as the NLT, 2011 NIV, Message, NKJV. My choises for base-packages were OLL (it has the least amount of such versions) and Catholic Foundations (there were authors that I don't want such as Raymond E. Brown and Joseph Pohle and a lot of John H. Newman -titles in the higher packages and Catholic Library Builder (238 vols.)). I'm supplementing with what I really want.

Aply!
trulyergonomic.com 6,200own
12G A9-9420 V8.6 Acc 11
d:'13Q3 12G

Posts 2305
mab | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 4 2012 3:30 PM

I am way late to this conversation, but the idea that Logos is too expensive is just an excuse. It lives and dies around shopping. The real goal is doing careful Bible study for the defense and proclamation of the Gospel. 

When I decided to plunge ahead to get Logos 4 Scholar, I really couldn't afford it and asked my pastor and the board to pray for me if this was really something I should do. They agreed with my decision. And someone heard that decision and sent me a check for the full amount.

The mind of man is the mill of God, not to grind chaff, but wheat. Thomas Manton | Study hard, for the well is deep, and our brains are shallow. Richard Baxter

Posts 2964
tom | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 5 2012 5:17 AM

Joel Reed:
The more I think about, the more I realize that I don't actually want a lot of the resources Logos offers with their packages ... the best way to accomplish my particular goals would be purchasing the books I actually want to own rather than simply getting a bunch of books I don't really need.

This is what I have done, and this is what I recommend people to do.

Posts 2
Oren | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 8 2012 2:54 AM

I came so late to this topic, but I think that the words of Michael are the best to describe it.

It's not too expensive as most of the people wrote here...

Posts 1896
Donnie Hale | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 8 2012 5:59 AM

tom collinge:

Joel Reed:
The more I think about, the more I realize that I don't actually want a lot of the resources Logos offers with their packages ... the best way to accomplish my particular goals would be purchasing the books I actually want to own rather than simply getting a bunch of books I don't really need.

This is what I have done, and this is what I recommend people to do.

If I recall correctly, you have to purchase some base-level package to have access to all the features in the software itself. In addition to the completely free but feature-limited version of the software itself, perhaps Logos could offer a full-featured version of the software for a nominal price. This would allow people access to those extra features while having explicit control of every single resource they decide to purchase.

Donnie

Posts 10126
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 8 2012 6:03 AM

Donnie Hale:
If I recall correctly, you have to purchase some base-level package to have access to all the features in the software itself. In addition to the completely free but feature-limited version of the software itself, perhaps Logos could offer a full-featured version of the software for a nominal price. This would allow people access to those extra features while having explicit control of every single resource they decide to purchase.

You might direct such people to http://www.logos.com/minimalcrossgrade 

Running Logos 8 latest beta version on Win 10

Posts 6489
Forum MVP
Lynden Williams | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 8 2012 6:18 AM

Michael Ballai:
When I decided to plunge ahead to get Logos 4 Scholar, I really couldn't afford it and asked my pastor and the board to pray for me if this was really something I should do. They agreed with my decision. And someone heard that decision and sent me a check for the full amount.

Praise the Lord!

Everything ever written in Religion and Theology formatted for Logos Bible Software.Logos Youtube Channel

Posts 255
Sogol | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 9 2012 1:14 AM

Joel Reed:
The more I think about, the more I realize that I don't actually want a lot of the resources Logos offers with their packages. (Such as 'The Message' translation ... that's about as lame and heretical as it gets) 

Arius, Pelagius and Eugene Peterson?

Posts 10313
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 9 2012 7:35 AM

If you look in your Logos resource 'Heretics of the Early Church' (rev version), that third one is listed as in the late 6th century CE explaining why he's not discussed by the early church fathers.

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 9 2012 9:48 AM

Sogol:

Joel Reed:
The more I think about, the more I realize that I don't actually want a lot of the resources Logos offers with their packages. (Such as 'The Message' translation ... that's about as lame and heretical as it gets) 

Add to that the KJV translators.

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 74
Ralph Hale | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 9 2012 10:19 AM

George Somsel:
Add to that the KJV translators.
Oh, No, You didn't !!!!!! Huh?

Posts 255
Sogol | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 9 2012 10:37 AM

DMB:

If you look in your Logos resource 'Heretics of the Early Church' (rev version), that third one is listed as in the late 6th century CE explaining why he's not discussed by the early church fathers.

Yes, I believe he was condemned at one of the ecumenical councils, but the Fathers "forgot" to record it because they were secretly fans of his other books on prayer and ministry.......

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 9 2012 11:18 AM

Sogol:

Joel Reed:

I understand that you may not like Peterson's translation, but unless you have a considerable amount of Greek and Hebrew in your resumè, I suggest that you have no qualification to speak on the subject.  Not liking a translation is not a reason to condemn it as "heretical."  Perhaps you are the heretic (The meaning of αἱρετικός is "one causing divisions, disputatious). 

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 255
Sogol | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 9 2012 11:37 AM

.... and for the record, I love Eugene Peterson.

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 9 2012 11:42 AM

Sogol:

.... and for the record, I love Eugene Peterson.

My stepfather used to say, "Talk's cheap, but it takes money to buy whiskey."  You certainly have a fine way  show your "love."

george
gfsomsel

Posts 4625
RIP
Milford Charles Murray | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 9 2012 11:59 AM

George Somsel:

Sogol:

Joel Reed:

I understand that you may not like Peterson's translation, but unless you have a considerable amount of Greek and Hebrew in your resumè, I suggest that you have no qualification to speak on the subject.  Not liking a translation is not a reason to condemn it as "heretical."  Perhaps you are the heretic (The meaning of αἱρετικός is "one causing divisions, disputatious). 

Peace to you, George!                Do you think perhaps you've made a mistake here in your condemnation???     As I read this thread, I do not think that "Sogol" deserves your disapprobations.   I thought he was speaking with some humour!!?? 

Perhaps you read too quickly - and engaged your mind before letting out the clutch?               *smile*

Philippians 4:  4 Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice. 5 Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand..........

Page 7 of 20 (388 items) « First ... < Previous 5 6 7 8 9 Next > ... Last » | RSS