Logos is Too Cheap! They Should Charge More

Page 1 of 1 (18 items)
This post has 17 Replies | 4 Followers

Posts 502
Randall Hartman | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Jul 28 2012 6:56 PM

When I think of all the value I receive from Logos I think their prices are too cheap!

1. If I had to put my 3500 Logos books on a shelf I would need to build a new room onto my house.  I saved $25,000!

2. If I had to lug all my books around I would need back surgery.  I saved $75,000. 

3. If I had to do a search in each of my 3,500 books for every use of "tabernacle" it would take me about 25 hours.  Let's see, at $25 per hour that amounts to Logos saving me $525. 

4. If I had to drive to the library every week to use their resources to study it would cost me about $5000 per year just in gas.

I could go on but when I think of all the money Logos has saved me I think their prices are too cheap.  :) 

Posts 808
Kevin Maples | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 28 2012 7:00 PM

I agree that it is a very good value. 

Posts 446
Jonathan Sine | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 28 2012 7:11 PM

Well said! 

Jonathan Sine

Pastor - Squamish Baptist Church

2 Cor. 4.6

Posts 80
Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 28 2012 7:19 PM

Garrett Mercury:
2. If I had to lug all my books around I would need back surgery.  I saved $75,000. 

Back surgery costs less than $75000.  You are vastly overstating your saving:  do you work for Logos marketing?    

Posts 602
Bill Anderson | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 28 2012 7:59 PM

Garrett Mercury:

3. If I had to do a search in each of my 3,500 books for every use of "tabernacle" it would take me about 25 hours.  Let's see, at $25 per hour that amounts to Logos saving me $525. 

I don't know about you, but my time is worth more than $25 an hour. Stick out tongue

Posts 9946
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 28 2012 8:02 PM

Paul Lee:
Back surgery costs less than $75000.  You are vastly overstating your saving:  do you work for Logos marketing?    

OK, extricating tongue from cheek:  Surgeon's fee —$1000.00
                                                       Anesthesiologist—     800.00
                                                              Observation—     400.00
                                                                    Hospital—   2,000.00
                                                     Drugs & Supplies—      300.00
                                                                                       _________
                                                      Total                          4,500.00

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 28 2012 8:03 PM

Paul Lee:

Garrett Mercury:

Observation: $ 75,000 for Spinal Fusion surgery cost is likely a bit low; could be closer to $ 100,000 => http://www.backsurgerycost.com/how-much-does-a-spinal-fusion-cost/ while some other types of back surgery are less expensive.

Garrett Mercury:
I could go on but when I think of all the money Logos has saved me I think their prices are too cheap.  :) 

My favorite Logos 4 feature is visual filter highlighting; wiki has => Examples of visual filters that shows screen shots with Logos Greek Morphology visual filters being used in Greek and English resources, which have appropriate tagging added by Logos.  The personal value for seeing verbal expression range in Greek and English resources is worth a lot more to me.

With Christmas approaching in a few months, wonder what to buy ?

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 5248
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 28 2012 8:05 PM

Oh my, i will agree Logos is good and saves space and time. I do not think it should be more, but i will admit it is a good value.

-Dan

Posts 1416
Wes Saad | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 28 2012 10:18 PM

Not sure that anyone can reasonably argue that Logos resources are priced well. The pricing is often ridiculous. I purchase resources with some measure of reluctance, yet what are the options? The software itself is semi-solid (qualified because the Mac version is still quite sub-par), the iOS apps are good, cross-platform and portability certainly add usability. Nonetheless, resources are way overpriced, especially public domain. Yes, I could choose not to buy them, I realize this, but it's still worth paying for what I get, even if what I'm paying is way more than it should be. Logos is under no obligation to set reasonable prices, but one does wish that there were at least a smidge more value for the users.

Posts 176
Rob | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 29 2012 2:55 AM

My 20 y.o. daughter's hospital back surgery bill was 216K.

Thanks to insurance I only paid a fraction of that - prolly about what I've invested in Logos.

Both were great investments!

Posts 533
Jonathan Burke | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 29 2012 5:43 AM

Chris Roberts:
Not sure that anyone can reasonably argue that Logos resources are priced well.

I am familiar with the print edition pricing of Brill, Mohr Siebeck, Peter Lang, Peeters Publishing, Continuum, and Sheffield Press. If you want to talk extreme pricing, lets start there. Here are some JSNTS publications from Sheffield, and their retail print prices.

* Mark's Gospel--Prior or Posterior?: A Reappraisal of the Phenomenon of Order: US$215

* Historiography and Hermeneutics in Jesus Studies: An Examination of the Work of John Dominic Crossan and Ben F. Meyer: US$180

* Jerusalem and the Early Jesus Movement: The Q Community's Attitude toward the Temple: US$180

* The Unity of the Farewell Discourse: The Literary Integrity of John 13:31-16:33: US$180

* The Finger of God and Pneumatology in Luke-Acts: US$170

* Apocalypticism, Anti-Semitism and the Historical Jesus: Subtexts in Criticism: US$145

We're up to US$1,070 already, with just six books. Let's look at the Logos alternative; Library of NT Studies: JSNTS on the Gospels and Acts (16 vols.). For just US$600 you not only receive all of those six books but another ten academic titles from JSNTS.

I bought that collection on pre-pub for US$302.95. Overpriced? I think not.

Win 7 x64 | Core i7 3770K | 32GB RAM | GTX 750 Ti 2GB | Crucial m4 256GB SSD (system) | Crucial m4 256GB SSD (Logos) | WD Black 1.5 TB (storage) | WD Red 3 TB x 3 (storage) | HP w2408h 24" | First F301GD Live 30"

Posts 9946
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 29 2012 8:53 AM

Jonathan Burke:

We're up to US$1,070 already, with just six books. Let's look at the Logos alternative; Library of NT Studies: JSNTS on the Gospels and Acts (16 vols.). For just US$600 you not only receive all of those six books but another ten academic titles from JSNTS.

I bought that collection on pre-pub for US$302.95. Overpriced? I think not.

Shhh !  They might decide to raise the prices before I can get everything I want (Well, we all know that isn't going to happen (Eccl 12.12). 

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 5248
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 29 2012 11:15 AM

Chris Roberts:
Not sure that anyone can reasonably argue that Logos resources are priced well.

I will admit Logos some things in Logos can be expensive (out of print items often seem very expensive). Logos does a great job of bringing many products to publication in a relatively timely matter, with very extensive reference tagging going many works quickly and efficiently. It is by no means an ideal piece of software but it is one of the best pieces out there for Biblical study. It is usually competitively priced when comparing copyrighted resources, and indeed when items are in prepublication they are a great bargain. Lets look at a favourite one of mine.

New Interpreter's Bible

Hard Cover retail $799 (Amazon Pricing $503.31)

Software Retail $799 (Amazon Pricing $473.30)

Logos New Interpreter's Bible (12 vols.) $479.95

This is not even the fairest comparison, since while you may do quick searches with the Abingdon software (Folio is it's core engine ), it cannot be run without the CDROM being in the drive and it is really little more advanced than a PDF reader. The software barely runs on systems after XP (a patched version was released, but most owners of the software have been trying to have it phased out since the turn of century, since it has been sold from microsoft, in the last year maybe the new owners will put more work in it, but even Abingdon has seen the writing on the wall and refused to put their new Bible dictionary in it preferring to release it in a browser compatible base (with a registration card asking several questions about which Bible software you use most). Logos runs on Mac, Windows, with somewhat limited mobile applications (still get many great fears and most of your library) for iOS/Android and web browser access from anywhere with Biblia.com. Logos allows you to use dozens of different Bible versions, NIB CD has NIV(with deutroconaical books from NAB) and NRSV only. 

As you can see it is competitively priced and may not unfairly be compared with calling the NIB CD like a mass paperback version, compared to Logos as a leather-bound edition with gilded pages. I am glad there are various pieces of software out there, I do think Logos is a bit more expensive but will say it is well worth it in my mind's eye.

-dan

Sorry for virtually copying my response from another topic but it seemed well reasoned..

Posts 167
David Kirk Davis | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 30 2012 7:01 AM

Keep in mind that if you figure that there are 250 employees at hypothetically 30k $ at year that alone 

Means they meet to sell at least 8 million dollars a year in books. 

Posts 2964
tom | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 30 2012 9:24 AM

Rob:

Both were great investments!

Yes

Posts 386
Clinton Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 30 2012 9:32 AM

Here are some ideas to try before you shell out the $105,525.00

1) Try multiple shelves instead of a single shelf. You might fit them into your current dwelling.

2) Don't try carrying them all at once, use multiple boxes.

3) Only if you would otherwise be out earning money instead. For most people this is not true.

4) Find a closer library  ($5000 year -> 700+ miles per week -> 350+ miles from library)

Comparison of prices should be to other bible software not to paper.

Posts 533
Jonathan Burke | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 31 2012 4:31 AM

Clinton Thomas:

Comparisons have to be made to paper if the books in question aren't available in other Bible software packages.

Win 7 x64 | Core i7 3770K | 32GB RAM | GTX 750 Ti 2GB | Crucial m4 256GB SSD (system) | Crucial m4 256GB SSD (Logos) | WD Black 1.5 TB (storage) | WD Red 3 TB x 3 (storage) | HP w2408h 24" | First F301GD Live 30"

Posts 2394
David Ames | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 31 2012 5:14 AM

Jonathan Burke:

Clinton Thomas:

Comparisons have to be made to paper if the books in question aren't available in other Bible software packages.

Question about the paper copies:  Do they expect to sell to you as the only user [and don’t let your friends use it] or to a library where 500 people would use the same book [one at a time]

Sell to library publisher gets $1000
Sell to each of the individual members of that library and only get $50 [price $100 – Only 10% of the list price for a 90% savings - half to publisher half to Logos] EACH for a total gain of $25,000 [500 times 50]

And each individual member said “wow, I saved $900” [For a total savings of $40,500 over all members]

Gold mine: sell to the user instead of the library!!!! [Cheap or expensive? Just keep your eyes open]

Page 1 of 1 (18 items) | RSS