Still using BibleWorks after installing Logos 4?

Page 3 of 4 (70 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next >
This post has 69 Replies | 6 Followers

Posts 468
BKMitchell | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 29 2011 6:51 PM

When, the WIVU database is finally updated to Logos4 I will be happy to install version four(Till, then I will continue to be happy with Logos/Libronix3). But, even when Logos4 adds support for the WIVU database I will still need BibleWorks because it's ability to run queries on the cantillation/accent marks of the Hebrew Bible as well as it's robust graphical search engine and command line.

In terms of a customizable theological library Logos can't be touched, and for some needs(or wants) I will always be compelled to use both programs. I do think, however, that Logos4 is a beautiful looking program, but to my knowledge It still can't do what I want it to do.

חַפְּשׂוּ בַּתּוֹרָה הֵיטֵב וְאַל תִּסְתַּמְּכוּ עַל דְּבָרַי

Posts 912
David Knoll | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 29 2011 10:05 PM

BKMitchell:
I will still need BibleWorks because it's ability to run queries on the cantillation/accent marks of the Hebrew Bible

I wonder what I could achieve by such a search. Can I look for every word which is vowelled  qamatz qamatz and has the Ga'ayah on the second consonant for instance?

Posts 468
BKMitchell | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 30 2011 12:17 AM

In theory Logos' "Hebrew Regular Expression"  queries should allow for searching on both the nikkudot and the Ta'amin at the same time.  I purchased Logos' WM 4.2 just try and see if it was possible, but I have not yet been able to preform them in either the WM 4.2 or the SESB Library. Of course searching on the Nikkudot works with any trouble, but accents don't seem to.

It, the programers at Logos are reading this please add Hebrew accent searching.

P.S

I have provide for a partial answer to your question on your, 'Profile comments section'

Posts 912
David Knoll | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 30 2011 12:32 AM

BKMitchell:
In theory Logos' "Hebrew Regular Expression"  queries should allow for searching on both the nikkudot and the Ta'amin at the same time. 

As far as I can tell Logos 4 does not support regular expressions. Which goes in tandem with other Hebrew search deficiencies.  

BKMitchell:

I have provide for a partial answer to your question on your, 'Profile comments section'

See my reply in the same manner.

Posts 468
BKMitchell | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 30 2011 12:43 AM

Petitioning Logos:

I wonder how many current Logos users would be willing to petition Logos to add more Hebrew search capabilities to  Logos4?

Posts 41
Todd Beall | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 30 2011 10:44 PM

I agree. For me Bibleworks is on my computer every day, and it is a speed demon. Logos is very clunky by comparison (especially for original language work). I generally use it for the journals and commentaries, research what I need, then print it out (and use it like a book!). Then I close Logos (which is a resource hog) I hate reading commentaries on a computer screen anyway. Both programs are valuable for their specific functions.

Posts 403
777 | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 1 2011 2:30 AM

BKMitchell:

Petitioning Logos:

I wonder how many current Logos users would be willing to petition Logos to add more Hebrew search capabilities to  Logos4?

I would.  I use BibleWorks now and it would be nice to be having it work in Logos 4.  Compared to the speed and capabilities of BibleWorks, Logos 4 might as well be Adobe Reader.

Posts 468
BKMitchell | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 13 2011 4:36 AM

777:

I would.  I use BibleWorks now and it would be nice to be having it work in Logos 4.  Compared to the speed and capabilities of BibleWorks, Logos 4 might as well be Adobe Reader.

Nice, to meet you 777.

Well, I guess there are three or four users here that would like to see an improvement in Hebrew searching.

I am thinking of upgrading to to logos 4, It really does have a nice looking GUI but I do not want to lose any of the functions I currently enjoy with the SESB.

Posts 8608
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 13 2011 4:53 AM

BKMitchell:
I am thinking of upgrading to to logos 4, It really does have a nice looking GUI but I do not want to lose any of the functions I currently enjoy with the SESB.
I haven't re-read the thread so forgive me if I'm redundant here.....

Do you know that you can install L4 side by side with L3 with no penalty (aside from hard disk space)?  Go ahead and give it a shot.  Then when you need to use some of the L3 SESB searching you can.  :-)

Truth Is Still Truth Even if You Don't Believe It

Check the Wiki

Warning: Sarcasm is my love language. I may inadvertently express my love to you.

Posts 84
Ron Barry | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 13 2011 7:46 AM

Wow - Bibleworks (and QuickVerse, for that matter) have been acquired by WordSearch. Wonder what that does to a lot of people's thinking.

Posts 1448
Ben | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 13 2011 8:05 AM

Source?

I know Wordsearch has "partnered" with Bibleworks to provide some other resources, like NICOT. But I don't see anywhere that Wordsearch has bought the company outright.

"The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of Conservatives is to prevent mistakes from being corrected."- G.K. Chesterton

Posts 84
Ron Barry | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 13 2011 8:13 AM

Sorry - they bought Quickverse (for $1 million) but  "WORDsearch has partnered with BibleWorks to make many of our titles available to use in the BibleWorks program" Sorry - looks like I did not exegete correctly...Tongue Tied

Posts 1770
Rick | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 13 2011 8:29 AM

Ben:
Source?

The news about WS acquiring Quickverse came with a Rejoice Christian Software email. It also provided this link: http://biz.yahoo.com/e/110510/find.ob8-k.html

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 13 2011 9:21 AM

Ron Barry:
Wow - Bibleworks (and QuickVerse, for that matter) have been acquired by WordSearch.

"Acquired by WordSearch"  Did I miss something? Have they actually been bought out by WordSearch?

WordSearch announced last January it was producing modules for BibleWorks but checking their offerings today (4 months later) I see only 6 resources outside of NICOT/NICNT & the IVP Dictionaries.

QuickVerse STEP books have been compatible from the WordSearrch 4 era through WS7 but I think you have to pay an upgrade fee to convert them to WS8 and beyond.

Ron Barry:
Wonder what that does to a lot of people's thinking.

Big Smile Studies have shown, deeper study of the Bible tends to help people's thinking. Big Smile That is why I choose Logos Bible software.

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 13 2011 9:43 AM

I did not think QuickVerse had any real advantages over the WordSearch user interface so it has to be some other reason. I wonder if resources is the reason they made the purchase. I wonder what resource licenses FindEx has in QuickVerse that WordSearch does not already have in it's line.....

QuickVerse has not been properly marketed ever since it left Bob Parson's control. It has been bought and sold many times by companies who really did not love the product. WordSearch has the ability to really help QuickVerse or kill it for good. (Remember, Gateway computers bought Amiga and did just that. So it isn't too far fetched of a possibility.)

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 5615
Todd Phillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 13 2011 9:49 AM

Matthew C Jones:
kill it for good.

That could be it.  Reduce consumer confusion by reducing the choices on the market:  More people entering the lower end of the Bible software market are more likely to choose WordSearch if QV isn't there.

Wiki Links: Enabling Logging / Detailed Search Help - MacBook Pro (2014), ThinkPad E570

Posts 2434
mab | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 13 2011 10:04 AM

I'm still using other bible software on both Mac and PC, but the amount of use has so greatly diminished because there's very little that cannot be answered outside of Logos. With almost no exception, if the funds were there to get the outside modules/print resources in Logos, I'd probably be 98% Logos.  Logos Rocks!!!

The mind of man is the mill of God, not to grind chaff, but wheat. Thomas Manton | Study hard, for the well is deep, and our brains are shallow. Richard Baxter

Posts 2963
Forum MVP
Jacob Hantla | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 13 2011 10:14 AM

I used to use BW, it was when Logos4 was released that just for workflow I moved there. My notetaking has attempted to migrate into Logos but alas is stuck a lot in OneNote and Evernote. When/if Logos notes become more robust (and sync to mobile), I'll be happy to have everything in one place. 

Jacob Hantla
Pastor/Elder, Grace Bible Church
gbcaz.org

Posts 468
BKMitchell | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 14 2011 5:26 AM

Thomas Black:

I haven't re-read the thread so forgive me if I'm redundant here.....

Do you know that you can install L4 side by side with L3 with no penalty (aside from hard disk space)?  Go ahead and give it a shot.  Then when you need to use some of the L3 SESB searching you can.  :-)

You're not redundant, at all.

And, Thank you! I had assumed that L3 would be overwritten by the installation of L4. But, now I know that, that is not the case.

POST SCRIPT: Looks like SESB 4 will be released in November according to this thread  http://community.logos.com/forums/t/28211.aspx

Posts 277
Ben | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 1 2011 7:16 PM

Yes, I love logos 4 and Bibleworks,Bibleworks 9 will coming. love............Big Smile

2 Peter 3:18  But grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. To him be the glory both now and to the day of eternity. Amen.

Page 3 of 4 (70 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS