online Bible Study magazine

Page 1 of 2 (29 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 28 Replies | 6 Followers

Posts 6
John M Shepard | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Aug 4 2012 2:01 PM

Logos does such a splendid job of online resource materials and computer software that I am wondering why you have not put Bible Study mag online as well.  I want to renew but I am moving to Europe and not sure of where I will be living yet.  I would enjoy having access to the magazine online.

Any thoughts.

Posts 103
mwk | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 4 2012 2:32 PM

I asked this same question to Bob on Twitter in April and at the time he said they were working on it, but no time table yet.

It's obviously some months later and I don't have an update. Only that, at the time, it was something they were working towards. Not sure if it's a layout issue as a magazine may be more complex within Logos then straight text. Perhaps keeping the exact print layout would be difficult.

Wouldn't mind seeing the magazine go into the iPad Newsstand app, although that doesn't help non-iPad users.

Posts 6
John M Shepard | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 4 2012 3:14 PM

thanks much. Just hope it is still on their radar.  All the best. John

Posts 888
Brother Mark | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 4 2012 5:44 PM

If/when Logos transitions to a digital edition, I'll be subscribing.... until then, nope.  Not interested in unindexed, non integrated material, no matter how outstanding the content.

"I read dead people..."

Posts 2764
Erwin Stull, Sr. | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 4 2012 7:01 PM

Brother Mark:

If/when Logos transitions to a digital edition, I'll be subscribing.... until then, nope.  Not interested in unindexed, non integrated material, no matter how outstanding the content.

Smile

Now, if I can just find where that thumbs up is.

Posts 1674
Paul Golder | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 4 2012 9:19 PM

I've often wondered why this hasn't happened yet. Why would an electronic publisher be so reluctant to produce a resource in electronic form, especially since it is created electronically and then put to paper? Then I realized the answer:

Distributing BSM in electronic form will reduce circulation.

For two main reasons (among others):

• They will lose those who only buy BSM because it is not available electronically
  • And they will also lose those who will no longer subscribe because: "Why bother subscribing if it is going to come out electronically anyway?"

Taking into account that Logos has succeeded in creating a great selling product in a dying medium, anything that could hinder the success of that accomplishment would be less than desired.

"As any translator will attest, a literal translation is no translation at all."

Posts 10132
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 5 2012 3:45 AM

Paul Golder:

Distributing BSM in electronic form will reduce circulation.

For two main reasons (among others):

• They will lose those who only buy BSM because it is not available electronically
  • And they will also lose those who will no longer subscribe because: "Why bother subscribing if it is going to come out electronically anyway?"

Taking into account that Logos has succeeded in creating a great selling product in a dying medium, anything that could hinder the success of that accomplishment would be less than desired.

Interesting perspective, that could be true. However, I understand that BSM is sort of a marketing tool for Logos the bible software. If it circulates among not-yet-users of Logos and were electronically available in Logos (e.g as a tab on the HomePage), to get someone to switch from print to electronic edition, i.e. to install Logos and read BSM there, would actually be: mission accomplished!

If the printed circulation is the measuring stick e.g. for revenue from third-party ads, they could easily give the paper version a quarter or half a year lead time and have only back issues in Logos (that's what lots of other magazines do - and their e-versions are freely downloadable PDFs!).

I'd rather think that giving the possibility of subsribing to the electronic version instead of (or, at an additional fee, in addition to) the paper version would increase revenue and also increase overall circulation, with perhaps only a small impact to print circulation.

Should retaining print circulation be an overarching concern, I'd propose a model where electronic subscription is available as add-on to print subscription, or included in its cost, but not as a substitute. Those users that don't want print editions for "simplify my library" or overseas postage reasons would just have their paid issue sent to another address, so e.g. seminaries, bible schools, prison ministries etc could receive them for free. I'd be willing to buy such a subscription.     

Running Logos 8 latest beta version on Win 10

Posts 1001
Mike Pettit | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 5 2012 6:06 AM

I also wish that logos would think about the postage costs to non US customers, it makes a subscription vey expensive and not allowing an electronic alternative is a bit of a slap in he face to us.

Posts 6
John M Shepard | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 5 2012 7:31 AM

Same here.

Posts 5
LogosEmployee
Rebecca Van Noord | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 6 2012 10:44 AM

John M Shepard:

Logos does such a splendid job of online resource materials and computer software that I am wondering why you have not put Bible Study mag online as well.  I want to renew but I am moving to Europe and not sure of where I will be living yet.  I would enjoy having access to the magazine online.

Any thoughts.

We have plans to make a digital version of Bible Study Magazine available in the future, but at this point we want to encourage people to buy the print version. John, we can certainly change your shipping address for your subscription. Customer service would be happy to handle this for you. Please call them at 1-800-875-6467. We'll make sure you receive every copy of your subscription.

--Rebecca Kruyswijk

Managing Editor of Bible Study Magazine

Posts 103
mwk | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 6 2012 11:10 AM

I'll actually be ending my sub to the magazine when it comes up for renewal next year precisely because it's not digital. I've been doing that will all my magazines... going the digital route with renewals or not renewing if digital isn't available.

Bible Study Mag is now only one of three magazines that I get in print. But I find these three tend to sit around on a table as I'm more likely to always have my iPad with me and reading from that.

That's not a reflection of the content of BSM. More just the reality of the way I prefer to consume content these days.

Posts 468
Charlene | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 8 2012 6:29 AM

mwk67:
I'll actually be ending my sub to the magazine when it comes up for renewal next year precisely because it's not digital

Same here.

Charlene

Posts 6
John M Shepard | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 8 2012 6:54 AM

same here.

Posts 6
John M Shepard | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 8 2012 6:55 AM

Rebecca, thank you for your response. Will you mail it, postage free, to the Netherlands?

Posts 214
Dan | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 8 2012 1:37 PM

Brother Mark:

Yes

Posts 3065
David Taylor Jr | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 8 2012 1:41 PM

Rebecca Kruyswijk:

John M Shepard:

Any thoughts.

We have plans to make a digital version of Bible Study Magazine available in the future, but at this point we want to encourage people to buy the print version. John, we can certainly change your shipping address for your subscription. Customer service would be happy to handle this for you. Please call them at 1-800-875-6467. We'll make sure you receive every copy of your subscription.

--Rebecca Kruyswijk

Do we have a time frame Rebecca?  Even if it is a rough estimate?

Teacher, Ministry Leader, Student, Author, Husband

How to upload logs

Visit My Site: Reformed Truths

Posts 556
Brent Hoefling | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 10 2012 6:03 AM

Rebecca Kruyswijk:

--Rebecca Kruyswijk

Have subscribed to BSM since the beginning, one of only a couple magazines I subscribe to (the other is BAR).  In fact, I only have a couple actual magazines at any give time at home, becuase I always read them cover to cover, and then after I get the next couple, the older ones get given away to peers and students.  and YES, I plan on buying the e-edition(s) when they are available. (and will probably continue my physical su as well!)

Posts 12
Craig Fildes | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 4 2013 5:45 PM

Sorry to restart an old post, but to buy this magazine in Australia it cost around $23 USD just for shipping. I would be happy to subscribe to an electronic copy at the same hard copy price if they are worried about money, but maybe we should be focused on spreading God's word via this form of media.

It also does have a lot of advertising, which I think with the addition of smart phones would see more publications viewed

Posts 4
Benjamin D. Williams | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 9 2013 8:37 PM

I'm also in Australia and was surprised to be prompted about shipping - I had simply assumed it would be in a digital format!

Is there any further news on when it will be available digitally? I don't think I'll subscribe otherwise despite the fact it looks like the magazine has superb content.

Very disappointed.

Posts 27814
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 9 2013 9:06 PM

Welcome to the forums Benjamin! Smile

Benjamin D. Williams:
Is there any further news on when it will be available digitally?

Unfortunately, no. We have never been given a definitive answer, but I believe that it is due to how circulation is counted, and how magazines receive ad revenue. 

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Page 1 of 2 (29 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS