"report typo" gone?

Page 1 of 2 (30 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 29 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 128
Doug Dunbar | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Aug 7 2012 3:54 PM

I noticed today that the "report typo" doesn't appear anymore when right clicking on a selection of text or a word.

In Little Kittle under μεθοδεια they list Eph 4:11 as an occurrence but should read Eph 4:14 - the hyperlink to 4:11 works fine, which shows why the reference is wrong :)

I tried right clicking words and selections in other resources and don't see the "report typo" option at all. Is it gone?

Posts 852
Jack Hairston | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 7 2012 5:25 PM

Doug Dunbar:

I noticed today that the "report typo" doesn't appear anymore when right clicking on a selection of text or a word.

Hi, Doug:

When you right click on highlighted text, look in the right pane of the dialog and make sure that "Selection" is active, not "Reference." Report Typo only appears when "Selection" is active. (It took me several tries to figure this out, so don't feel bad.)

Posts 24251
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 7 2012 9:46 PM

Also "report typo" only appears when online. I don't know if that is relevant in your case

Posts 3186
LogosEmployee
Thomas Ball | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 8 2012 12:51 PM

Doug Dunbar:
In Little Kittle

Can you your post the complete title of the book if one of the above suggestions has not helped? I'm having trouble finding anything with "Little Kittle" in it. 

Posts 11508
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 8 2012 12:53 PM

Tommy Ball:

Doug Dunbar:
In Little Kittle

Can you your post the complete title of the book if one of the above suggestions has not helped? I'm having trouble finding anything with "Little Kittle" in it. 

It's "The Theological Dictionary of the New Testament, Abridged in One Volume" by Gerhard Kittel

Running Logos 9 latest (beta) version on Win 10

Posts 3186
LogosEmployee
Thomas Ball | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 8 2012 2:32 PM

I can't seem to find that word in the abridged version. When I do a search for that word in the Abrdiged TDNT I don't get any hits, but I see the section in TDNT. In the TDNT the link is correct for me. 

Doug, can you click the 'i' in the top right-hand corner of the book panel, and paste in a reply the information you see under the "Support info"  section?  

Posts 11508
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 8 2012 2:45 PM

Tommy Ball:
I can't seem to find that word in the abridged version. When I do a search for that word in the Abrdiged TDNT I don't get any hits, but I see the section in TDNT. In the TDNT the link is correct for me. 

Same with me. As in TDNT ("Big Kittel"), the entry for methodeia in Abridged TDNT ("Little Kittel") is under hodos - I made a screen shot for you:

Support Info for Little Kittel: LLS:46.10.1 - 2009-10-27T02:22:45Z - TDNTA.logos4

FWIW, unlike Doug I could use Report Typo and have just done so.

Posts 3186
LogosEmployee
Thomas Ball | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 8 2012 2:54 PM

Thank you, N.B. I was using the Greek characters, and you found it in Latin characters. Smile

Doug, are you still unable to see the "Report typo" option in the context menu (right-click menu) for the 4:11 reference? If not, can you post a screen shot of the reference selected on the right side of the context menu? 

Posts 8899
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 8 2012 3:15 PM

Tommy Ball:

I couldn't find it in either first, but your finding it in the full version eventually gave the clue: it's under ὁδός. Try logosres:tdnta;hw=$CE$BC$CE$B5$CE$B8$CE$BF$CE$B4$CE$B5$CE$B9$CC$81$CE$B1;off=20900 (I think that's the funniest looking Logos link I've seen so far. Smile) Though you don't necessarily need to. It is indeed incorrect and I reported it as a typo.

However, in the process I also found that A Greek-English Lexicon of the Septuagint : Revised Edition is missing all links to the Theological Lexicon of the New Testament. Feel free to report that instead. The typo function isn't very good for that kind of thing.

EDIT: I guess I was too slow...

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 10813
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 9 2012 3:09 AM

fgh:
Try logosres:tdnta;hw=$CE$BC$CE$B5$CE$B8$CE$BF$CE$B4$CE$B5$CE$B9$CC$81$CE$B1;off=20900 (I think that's the funniest looking Logos link I've seen so far. Smile)

Looks like a very expensive resource Geeked

Posts 3186
LogosEmployee
Thomas Ball | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 9 2012 9:49 AM

fgh:
However, in the process I also found that A Greek-English Lexicon of the Septuagint : Revised Edition is missing all links to the Theological Lexicon of the New Testament. Feel free to report that instead.

I'm not sure where in A Greek-English Leixcon of the Septuagint: Revised Edition you are expecting to see links to the TDNT. Can you post an annotated screenshot of the panel where you would expect the link to be?

Posts 8899
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 9 2012 10:11 AM

Tommy Ball:
I'm not sure where in A Greek-English Leixcon of the Septuagint: Revised Edition you are expecting to see links to the TDNT.

I'm not. I'm expecting to see links to the Theological Lexicon of the New Testament. (TDNT = Theological Dictionary of the New Testament).

I don't have Logos open for the moment, and not enough free RAM to open it, but I think it was referred to as SPICQ 1978a.

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 11508
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 9 2012 10:47 AM

fgh:

Tommy Ball:
I'm not sure where in A Greek-English Leixcon of the Septuagint: Revised Edition you are expecting to see links to the TDNT.

I'm not. I'm expecting to see links to the Theological Lexicon of the New Testament. (TDNT = Theological Dictionary of the New Testament).

I don't have Logos open for the moment, and not enough free RAM to open it, but I think it was referred to as SPICQ 1978a.

I don't have Logos open, either, but if I recall correct, there are dozens of articles were the Septuagint lexicon referred to TDNT with a --> TDNT; in the sense of: "for this lemma, the explanations in TDNT hold true for LXX as well and therefore we save space here, just look it up", but click on this only gave that TDNT is abbreviated for Theological dictionary of the NT and a further --> to a brief entry on Kittel. This reflects the functionality (or lack thereof) of a printed book, but imho this is very bad execution for Logos. I'd assume that links to TLNT (and maybe other lexicons and things in Logos) were built in the same unsatifactory manner.

Posts 8899
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 9 2012 11:03 AM

NB.Mick:
if I recall correct, there are dozens of articles were the Septuagint lexicon referred to TDNT

Of course, if there are TDNT references that aren't properly linked, those should be fixed as well. My "I'm not" only meant to say that my earlier post wasn't referring to the TDNT but to the TLNT, since those were the references I'd happened to see.

NB.Mick:
I'd assume that links to TLNT (and maybe other lexicons and things in Logos) were built in the same unsatifactory manner.

As I recall, there were no links whatsoever. Not even to a popup with the name of the book.

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 11508
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 9 2012 2:58 PM

fgh:

NB.Mick:
if I recall correct, there are dozens of articles were the Septuagint lexicon referred to TDNT

Of course, if there are TDNT references that aren't properly linked, those should be fixed as well. My "I'm not" only meant to say that my earlier post wasn't referring to the TDNT but to the TLNT, since those were the references I'd happened to see.

NB.Mick:
I'd assume that links to TLNT (and maybe other lexicons and things in Logos) were built in the same unsatifactory manner.

As I recall, there were no links whatsoever. Not even to a popup with the name of the book.

You are right. Again I made a screenshot.

To the left, we see the LXX lexicon entry for μεσίτης - it refers us readers to Spicq (i.e. TLNT), TWNT (=TDNT) and NIDNTT, but none of these links work. Spicq is dead and TWNT and NIDNTT are just abbreviation explanations. 

The same happens in other entries for e.g. Louw-Nida and Lidell & Scott. To the right in my above screenshot, we see TLNT for the same entry: it really links to the respective entries in all the lexicons. 

My personal workaround is prioritizing the (incomplete) Spicq above Louw-Nida (my currently favourite lexicon), so double-click on a greek lemma will often open TLNT that gives me the other options.

EDIT: PS: I fully realize that it would be more than a small effort to include all these reference links and have them point to they respective entries. Thus for me, I'd rather have no links than a link that I click in anticipation, only to be explained once again that TWNT stands for TDNT - dooh. An absolute minimum first step would be to link the titles in the bibliography to the Logos resources and to link at least these (like Spicq) fully from the entries to the bibliography.

Posts 8899
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 10 2012 5:02 AM

Thanks, Mick.

Well, if the Septuagint Lexicon isn't already on their shortlist of resources to update, it clearly needs to be moved there. 

NB.Mick:
I fully realize that it would be more than a small effort to include all these reference links and have them point to they respective entries

Is that so? Surely those who know these things can fairly easily code a more advanced "find and replace" that inserts most links in one go. Hey, even I can do that for a PB, if there's enough links to one and the same source for it to be worth the effort. I don't think lots of links to a few sources create that much problem, especially when they go to things like the TDNT and the TLNT, which I presume they've already got scripts for. I would imagine that it's much worse with the kind of book that only quotes each source once or twice, requiring virtually every link to be done manually.

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 3186
LogosEmployee
Thomas Ball | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 10 2012 10:55 AM

I'm looking into this

NB.Mick: Can you post as screen (or a link to that location in that book)  illustrating the behavior your cite here:

NB.Mick:
The same happens in other entries for e.g. Louw-Nida and Lidell & Scott. 

Thank you.

Posts 11508
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 10 2012 2:25 PM

Tommy Ball:

NB.Mick: Can you post as screen (or a link to that location in that book)  illustrating the behavior your cite here:

NB.Mick:
The same happens in other entries for e.g. Louw-Nida and Lidell & Scott. 

Sorry, for whatever reason now I can't find a reference to LN in the book at all, besides bibliography and introduction. Don't find again where I thought I saw that *shrug*

With regards to L&S it seems I tricked myself with the references to L&S versus L&S Supplement and L&S Revised Supplement. Actually, L&S itself seems to be not cited (only the two supplements), but is linked from the bibliography, much like M&M which is cited (i.e. from the click on the reference, Logos will open the resource, but only to the title page, not to the respective entry). 

Further missing links in the resource I found with respect to NIDOTTE:

Posts 8899
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 11 2012 1:58 PM

NB.Mick:
With regards to L&S it seems I tricked myself with the references to L&S versus L&S Supplement and L&S Revised Supplement. Actually, L&S itself seems to be not cited (only the two supplements)

I don't have L&S, but doesn't the Logos edition have the supplement integrated into it: http://www.logos.com/features/prepub?

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 4625
RIP
Milford Charles Murray | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 11 2012 2:55 PM

fgh, Peace!                                                      thanks so much for that sharing that link   ...    I had forgotten that incident, and it's good to review it again!

http://www.logos.com/features/prepub

Philippians 4:  4 Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice. 5 Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand..........

Page 1 of 2 (30 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS