Thoughts on Theological Journal Library

Page 1 of 2 (35 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 34 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 109
David Miller | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Nov 20 2009 1:23 AM

I'm seriously considering getting the Theological Journal Library.  How well is that kept updated?  Anyone have it?  Thoughts?

Posts 320
John Bowling | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 20 2009 4:25 AM

I have it, I definitely think it's worth it. It is one of the resources (or collection of resources) that I use the most, but then I'm not a preacher or studying to be one or anything so my use of logos may be a bit different than other logos users here.

I don't know how well it is updated. I have never really paid attention to that to be honest.

The only problem with it right now is that you can't *specifically* search article titles. Personally, I think this is a major problem since doing a particular search for the title of a journal article seems like it would be one of the most basic advantages to having the journals on logos... but I'm hoping they will work on this in the future.

perspectivelyspeaking.wordpress.com

Posts 383
Daniel Bender | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 20 2009 4:48 AM

I have it and use quite frequently. It was extremely helpful for paper writing when I was in seminary and the searching capabilities have improved. You have to purchase the new (updated)  journals every couple of years. They usually sell for around $50. Logos has done a great job of adding new journal resources.

Posts 1955
Donovan R. Palmer | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 20 2009 5:02 AM

+1 on the journal library. I use it frequently.

Posts 418
davidphillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 20 2009 5:10 AM

It's a great resource! It's usually updated yearly with new issues of journals, and sometimes brand new journals (please note that these updates cost money, as already mentioned, usually about $50). It's actually put out by galaxie software (www.galaxie.com). The specific link to the product is here http://www.galaxie.com/category.php?scid=3&category_id=15&parent_id=0

Posts 1955
Donovan R. Palmer | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 20 2009 5:40 AM

Actually now that I think about it, I wonder when Volume 12 is going to be released?  Anyone know?

EDIT: Just swapped emails with Galaxie. Volume 12 is due out in the next week or so. (very soon)

Posts 383
Daniel Bender | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 20 2009 8:35 AM

Thanks for the good nrews!

Posts 188
Kevin Taylor | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 20 2009 9:27 AM

David R Miller:

I'm seriously considering getting the Theological Journal Library.  How well is that kept updated?  Anyone have it?  Thoughts?

David, I can say wholeheartedly that the Theological Journal Library is one of the single most valuable resource collections I have in my library.  I now own volumes 1 - 11 and as soon as 12 hits I'll purchase it.  I will also be getting the eary volumes of Bib Sac as they have been added recently as well.

There is a unbelievable benefit to be able to draw from hundreds of journals from the best theological minds of recent history.  Also, on a practical level there is tons on content that just is not found in any other print resource than the original journals themselves.

I bought these with my Logos 3 Silver purchase 2 years ago and have been tickled from day one.  They make detailed study or doing a research paper a breeze and have tremendous re-read value.  I say get them!

Logos 5, Windows & Android perfect together....

Posts 188
Kevin Taylor | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 20 2009 9:29 AM

Donovan R. Palmer:

Actually now that I think about it, I wonder when Volume 12 is going to be released?  Anyone know?

EDIT: Just swapped emails with Galaxie. Volume 12 is due out in the next week or so. (very soon)

Good deal, thanks!  I know they usually released the new volume right before Christmas and I have been checking almost daily for #12 LOL.  I look forward to getting #12 as soon as it hits!

Posts 188
Kevin Taylor | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 20 2009 9:50 AM

David... sorry, on your question on updates.  Galaxie Software puts them out every year usually at Christmas time.  The curent year's Volume will contain Journals up to the previous year.  In other words, this year Volume 12 is due out.  It will contain Journal updates for 2008 for the existing Journals you have and sometimes new Journals as well.

Posts 59
Westie | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 20 2009 10:16 AM

Excellent resource, I often search them by topic, by bible reference, and by author.  Have not yet installed V4, I assume that you have the same search capabilities in V4.

Mark

Posts 2279
Andy | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 20 2009 10:31 AM

I just want to echo some of the comments here. I have found the Theological Journal Library a great blessing and great help in sermon prep, writing and personal bible study... It is probably the most cost effective way of boosting your library and it is probably among the most content rich resource out there.

I too am looking forward to volume 12!

Posts 3810
spitzerpl | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 20 2009 1:28 PM

Mark:
I assume that you have the same search capabilities in V4.

Topic (aka header) searching is not available in L4 at this time.

Posts 1103
Tom Reynolds | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 20 2009 2:06 PM

Donovan R. Palmer:

Next week - that is good news! +2 on the collection as a whole. Very reasonable in price ($1 a year per journal) and includes many valuable journals.

Tom

Posts 121
Scott Yip | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 18 2009 7:24 AM

I wonder there is this product in logos? "Theological Journal Library DVD vol. 1-11"

I saw this in another platform. If no in Logos, that means I have to buy '1-10' + 11 + 12 to get the whole set.......

Well, when 12 is out on the market, I suppose there should be '1-11' + 12, right?

Posts 5615
Todd Phillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 18 2009 7:39 AM

Scott, Yip:

I wonder there is this product in logos? "Theological Journal Library DVD vol. 1-11"

I saw this in another platform. If no in Logos, that means I have to buy '1-10' + 11 + 12 to get the whole set.......

Well, when 12 is out on the market, I suppose there should be '1-11' + 12, right?

See this page:

http://www.logos.com/products/details/3582

You have to buy 1-10 and 11.  They existing ones are not repackaged every time a new volume is released

Wiki Links: Enabling Logging / Detailed Search Help - MacBook Pro (2014), ThinkPad E570

Posts 5337
Kevin Becker | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 18 2009 7:57 AM

Todd Phillips:
You have to buy 1-10 and 11.  They existing ones are not repackaged every time a new volume is released

Also, If you already have some of the volumes you can get a "custom upgrade" directly from Galaxie to fill in the issues you don't have.

Posts 1130
Keith Larson | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 18 2009 8:03 AM

John Bowling:
The only problem with it right now is that you can't *specifically* search article titles. Personally, I think this is a major problem since doing a particular search for the title of a journal article seems like it would be one of the most basic advantages to having the journals on logos... but I'm hoping they will work on this in the future.

Good News from Glaxia:

IMPORTANT INFO: Please read! 

In the past few months, I've personally gone through over 400 of the volumes from previous Theological Journal CDs... fixing the typos that you reported ... rebuilding in the new Logos xml format... removing my 1/2 inch margins so that they fill the screen on the iphone... 

One nice thing about the new format is that titles and headings are now searchable. So, in addition to being able to search for "author:wallace" you can search for "heading:keyword".... that should help you narrow your searches to articles or sections dealing specifically with your topic.

I have tried it out and it works beautifully!

Posts 42
Steven Leavitt | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 18 2009 8:49 AM

Just noticed #12 is available! It is available at Galaxie. Should be a matter of time until Logos sells it.

Posts 6
Chad Laughrey | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 18 2009 9:05 AM

I agree.  The Theological Journal Library is a must have.  It is bascially like having a current commentary set that deals with topical issues. Another cool tip is to edit your Passage Guide to customize it to search through your theological journals.   Simply create a collection of Theological journals and add it to your edited Passage Guide.  That way, every time you search a verse or a topic, you get hits on all your theological journal articles that pertain to that particular search.  It is amazing for sermon and paper preparation!

Page 1 of 2 (35 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS