OT: Looking for an Online Graduate Program

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
This post has 8 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 2302
Ronald Quick | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Aug 16 2012 7:08 AM

I am considering getting a Master of Arts Biblical and Theological Studies and the option of traveling really isn't a possibility at this point in my life, so I would need to do most if not all of my classes online.

I am considering Knox Theological Seminary, but I was wondering what other schools offer long distance degrees that I can compare to Knox.  The reason I am asking this question is because I know there are a lot of online schools but not all offer a quality education.  I would like to use my degree to teach part time at a college/university after I retire.

I know this is off topic, but over the past several years I have come to respect the insight and opinions of many users on the forum which is why I am posting this question here.

Thanks,

Ron

Posts 1875
Paul-C | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 16 2012 7:46 AM

Ron, the Association of Theological Schools (ATS) changed their course criteria in June 2012 to allow all member seminaries to offer full online degrees (including MAs and, I believe, MDivs) provided they meet the new standards.  I think you'll find in the coming months, more and more online degrees offered by well-accredited seminaries.  

I'm currently pursuing an MA in Biblical and Theological Studies through Western Seminary, Portland, OR and am doing this mainly through distance learning, supplemented by short on-campus classes each year.  I've heard on the grape vine that they are looking to offer a fully online MA BTS from around next January due to these recent changes by ATS.  If you like the look of a particular school, it might be worth getting in touch to see what (if any) their plans are in this area.  Best of luck in your endeavour!

Posts 59
David J. Sugg | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 16 2012 9:18 AM

Ron, 

I am currently about half way through an MAR in Biblical Studies at Liberty Baptist Theological Seminary through Liberty Online. The program is all On-line, and was the lowest cost per hour of any of the programs I looked at. The thing that was the biggest attraction is that they run 8 week classes, so that in a regular semester you can still complete 2 classes, but you only after to worry about one class at a time. Since I work full time, it avoids the problem of having two papers, or two exams, in the same week.

Here is the link: http://www.luonline.com/ .

For class descriptions: http://www.luonline.com/index.cfm?PID=15704

Let me know if you need any further information.

Posts 366
James Chandler | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 16 2012 9:26 AM

David J. Sugg:
Since I work full time, it avoids the problem of having two papers, or two exams, in the same week.

Unless you accidently let classes overlap. Wink

Running on ASUS Windows 10 I7 24 gig of ram, 1 Terabyte drive.

Philippians 2:3 Do nothing from selfish ambition or conceit, but in humility count others more significant than yourselves.

Posts 2302
Ronald Quick | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 16 2012 4:49 PM

Thanks for the input - I'll look into these.

Posts 1942
Joseph Turner | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 16 2012 5:16 PM

I would second Liberty University Online.  I did the Master of Arts in Religion: Biblical Studies, and I loved it.  As mentioned above, I took advantage of the 8 week courses, but I took 4 classes per semester.  The deal maker for me is that LU is accredited by SACS, which is recognized by the Department of Education.  I needed SACS accreditation to get a master's pay raise in public education.

Disclaimer:  I hate using messaging, texting, and email for real communication.  If anything that I type to you seems like anything other than humble and respectful, then I have not done a good job typing my thoughts.

Posts 2302
Ronald Quick | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 16 2012 5:48 PM

Liberty University has the same accreditation as the college I received my undergraduate degree (Johnson Bible College).  I had no trouble with St. Louis University accepting any classes when I went for my Master's degree.

Posts 172
CL | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 20 2012 6:14 PM

I'm seriously looking into Knox as well. I'm also checking out Golden Gate BS's MA. Knox definitely is more persuasive due to the increase in Logos content and book credit. Hard to argue there. I'm also needing to look into fully online degrees because of living overseas.

Posts 1928
Donovan R. Palmer | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 21 2012 4:54 AM

You could check out King's Evangelical Divinity School.  They are a partner college of the University of Chester and are gathering quite a following: http://www.kingsdivinity.org

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS