Logos 4 home page and ribbon.

Page 3 of 3 (44 items) < Previous 1 2 3
This post has 43 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 2212
Damian McGrath | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 21 2011 5:15 AM

fgh:
Damian is definitely wrong about "Roman Rite" never being used officially.

Please re-read exactly what I wrote. It is never used officially to refer to the "Latin Church."

Considering that I celebrate Mass according to the Roman Rite every day, I am well aware that it is the preferred term used to refer to the dominant liturgical form in the Latin Church.

Posts 2212
Damian McGrath | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 21 2011 5:32 AM

fgh:
The Church in Rome is supposed to have been founded primarily among the Greek speaking population (slaves and immigrants) -- which is why we still talk about the "Kyrie", and probably why Peter and Paul could easily preach to them -- and they continued to use Greek for a surprisingly long time.

Most likely the liturgy in Rome was primarily in Latin from the middle of the fourth century - mostly supposition as textual witnesses to the period, liturgically, are scarce.

The Kyrie definitely didn't enter into the Roman Rite until after the middle of the third century - it was quite foreign to the pilgrim Egeria on hearing it chanted in Jerusalem.

The first evidence of its use in Rome is from 529ad - the Council of Vaison makes reference to the introduction of the Kyrie into the liturgies of Italy.

Posts 29122
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 21 2011 3:28 PM

fgh:
I believe there was also a Brigettine Rite. Certainly for the Office;

There are a number of versions of the Office, often associated with a particular religious or lay order. In common usage these are not considered separate rites. However, they are often quite important in tracing liturgical and textual history.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 21
Ice Deep | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 23 2015 4:30 PM

Just wanted to thank Rosie for her list of websites.

Page 3 of 3 (44 items) < Previous 1 2 3 | RSS