What is your "Must Have Resource"?

Page 1 of 2 (23 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 22 Replies | 4 Followers

Posts 31
Bryan Hawkins | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Aug 23 2012 2:33 AM

I would love to hear from anyone who is willing to share. Apart from commentaries what are your one or two "must have resources" that have helped make your personal study/development or ministry (sermon or bible study preparation) more fruitful? Or what resource have you just enjoyed the most using on Logos?

Thanks,

Bryan

Posts 6484
Forum MVP
Lynden Williams | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 23 2012 5:43 AM

Bryan, I would say a good Bible dictionary.

Everything ever written in Religion and Theology formatted for Logos Bible Software.Logos Youtube Channel

Posts 3056
David Taylor Jr | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 23 2012 5:48 AM

I love the reverse interlinears.  Hands down, favorite thing in Logos!

Teacher, Ministry Leader, Student, Author, Husband

How to upload logs

Visit My Site: Reformed Truths

Posts 6484
Forum MVP
Lynden Williams | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 23 2012 5:57 AM

A good Bible dictionary.

Everything ever written in Religion and Theology formatted for Logos Bible Software.Logos Youtube Channel

Posts 3056
David Taylor Jr | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 23 2012 6:15 AM

I also enjoy the Apologetics Study Bible

Teacher, Ministry Leader, Student, Author, Husband

How to upload logs

Visit My Site: Reformed Truths

Posts 2825
Michael Childs | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 23 2012 7:19 AM

I assume you mean other than Bibles - original language or otherwise.

I would say the BDAG lexicon is my most valuable resource after the NA27 Greek text.

"In all cases, the Church is to be judged by the Scripture, not the Scripture by the Church," John Wesley

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 23 2012 8:22 AM

Bryan Hawkins:

I would love to hear from anyone who is willing to share. Apart from commentaries what are your one or two "must have resources" that have helped make your personal study/development or ministry (sermon or bible study preparation) more fruitful? Or what resource have you just enjoyed the most using on Logos?

Thanks,

Bryan

Aside from bibles (BHS and NA), I would have two—BDAG and HALOT or BDB.

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 796
Jack Hairston | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 23 2012 8:54 AM

Bryan Hawkins:

Wilted Flowerhat are your one or two "must have resources" that have helped make your personal study/development or ministry (sermon or bible study preparation) more fruitful?

The feature that drove me to Logos in the first place was Notes. Until now, every time I wore out a Bible, it took years to get the new one marked up.

Posts 103
Mark | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 23 2012 11:28 AM

What has helped the most is the Visual Filters one can create in Logos.

Of course there are a number of resources I would mention, but outside of commentaries the Anchor Dictionary and BDAG come immediately to mind.  Though I suppose if there was just one resource it would be the tagged Louw-Nida numbers/hyperlinked context-sensitive word meanings.  A gem especially for those who cannot read Greek. 

Posts 194
KPK | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 23 2012 11:31 AM

commentaries are my must have. I can never get enough of them. I love to compare resources! 

Posts 2038
Unix | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 23 2012 1:06 PM
  • 1992 Good News Translation marked as 1st top Bible. While I use the "read aloud" feature for commentaries (Hermeneia; 2 Cor 1-7 ICC by Thrall; Prv Believer's Church Bible Commentary; The Genre, Composition and Hermeneutics of the Epistle of James by Luke Leuk Cheung) I follow along from it. The fact that the Good News Translation can be comprehended more quickly than any other version (and it's one of the very few versions based on modern linguistics, actually the only one that is at the same time dynamic equivalent/easy-to-read) makes a HUGE difference in focus so that I can maximally comprehend the "read aloud".
  • Here is a thread relevant to that, comparing OT versions, I invite You all to participate in it: http://www.christianforums.com/t7653202/
  • A Contemporary Anabaptist Theology by Finger. Cheap and up-to-date for a large area of theology.
  • Primitive Christianity by Gerd Lüdemann

Aply!
trulyergonomic.com 6,200own
12G A9-9420 V8.6 Acc 11
d:'13Q3 12G

Posts 31
Bryan Hawkins | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 23 2012 4:26 PM

Thanks,

These are good suggestions. I was wondering what to add next to my  library.  I have  already added a bunch of commentaries, which can get expensive quick, so wanted to look into other books/resources that  would help me.

Posts 93
Robert C. Beckman Jr. | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 23 2012 4:41 PM

Gotta have BDAG

Posts 5251
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 23 2012 8:48 PM

My must haves are 5: My favourite transition, the best all around commentary (for me) a wonderful devotional commentary on the New Testament, and 2 Bible Dictionary's. 

The New Jerusalem Bible: Reader's Edition

New Interpreter's Bible (12 vols.)

The New Daily Study Bible: New Testament (DSB) (17 vols.)

International Standard Bible Encyclopedia (ISBE) (1979–1995) (4 vols.)

Anchor Yale Bible Dictionary (6 vols.)

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 23 2012 9:12 PM

Mark O'Hearn:
What has helped the most is the Visual Filters one can create in Logos.

My favorite Logos 4 feature is visual filter highlighting; wiki has => Examples of visual filters

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 428
Carmen Gauvin-O'Donnell | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 24 2012 3:50 AM

One of my favourites is clicking on a word and my Nelson's New Illustrated Bible Dictionary (a terrific dictionary by the way!) pops us. I just used it again this morning to find out what a "palanquin" was...  Yes Cool

Posts 468
BKMitchell | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 24 2012 8:15 PM

You, probably need them all, but then again don't we all?

(1) Biblia Hebraica Stuttgartensia (BHS Hebrew): With Westminster 4.2 Morphology German Bible Society, Westminster Theological Seminary   |  2004

(2) Enhanced Brown-Driver-Briggs Hebrew and English Lexicon (BDB) by Francis Brown, Samuel Rolles Driver, Charles Augustus Briggs Logos Bible Software   |  2001

(3) Massorah Gedolah: Manuscrit B. 19a de Léningrad by Gérard E. Weil   Pontifical Biblical Institute   |  2001YesCool

(4) The Masorah of Biblia Hebraica Stuttgartensia by Daniel Mynatt, Timothy Crawford, Page H. Kelley Eerdmans   |  1998

(5) German Bible Society Bundle: Student Edition by 22 authors Deutsche Bibelgesellschaft   |  1983–2009

חַפְּשׂוּ בַּתּוֹרָה הֵיטֵב וְאַל תִּסְתַּמְּכוּ עַל דְּבָרַי

Posts 468
BKMitchell | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 24 2012 8:26 PM

The three most useful resources in  Logos for Bible Study and Sermon other than the Biblia Hebraica Stuttgartensia (BHS Hebrew): With Westminster 4.2 Morphology and The German Bible Society Bundle and a good Hebrew Lexicon:

1. Massorah Gedolah: Manuscrit B. 19a de Léningrad by Gérard E. Weil Pontifical Biblical Institute   |  2001

2. The Masorah of Biblia Hebraica Stuttgartensia by Daniel Mynatt, Timothy Crawford, Page H. Kelley Eerdmans   |  1998

3. Sermons in Accents; or, Studies in the Hebrew Text by John Adams T&T Clark   |  1906 (Devotional Christian classic)

חַפְּשׂוּ בַּתּוֹרָה הֵיטֵב וְאַל תִּסְתַּמְּכוּ עַל דְּבָרַי

Posts 98
JJ Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 25 2012 7:23 PM

Making Bible study more fruitful? If we are talking NT study, the best resource I use (not a commentary) is the Lexham Discourse Greek New Testament. https://www.logos.com/product/3888/lexham-discourse-greek-new-testament-bundle If your Greek is rusty or you don't use Greek, the save some money and get the ESV High Definition New Testament... It is part of the bundle, and it is surprisingly useful. This is simply a bible study tool to help you see "markers" that the author uses to emphasize cparts of the Biblical text, for instance. It's a great way to start your reading of the Biblical text you are studying.

Posts 31
Bryan Hawkins | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 26 2012 6:45 AM

These are some good suggestions,

Thanks

Page 1 of 2 (23 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS