Page 2 of 2 (32 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 31 Replies | 6 Followers

Posts 1880
Philana Crouch | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 23 2013 2:40 PM

David Taylor Jr:

Anyone have a suggestion on the easiest way to learn Greek?

You might want to check out the following textbooks:

http://www.logos.com/product/20260/read-greek-in-30-days-or-less-new-testament-old-testament-apocrypha-philo-church-fathers

In a couple of Logos packages (Bronze and above) you can find: 

http://www.logos.com/product/7863/kairos-a-beginning-greek-grammar-with-workbook-and-answer-key

Posts 85
Armwood | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 26 2013 6:26 PM

MJ. Smith which syntax @ grammar do did you use

Armwood

Posts 30205
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 27 2013 1:25 AM

Armwood:

MJ. Smith which syntax @ grammar do did you use

Ypu want me to embarrass myself? Lanman ... which you probably don't recognize because it is for Sanskrit. However, it assumed that students all knew Latin and Greek and thus used those languages to explain Sanskrit syntax, morphology and roots. I'm very inconsistent as to which Greek grammar I used to verify what I suspect/conclude is the proper Greek. I've not found a good Greek grammar based on Proto-IndoEuopean which is what I really need.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 27 2013 3:34 AM

MJ. Smith:
I'm very inconsistent as to which Greek grammar I used to verify what I suspect/conclude is the proper Greek.

Wonder if have looked at http://www.logos.com/product/2481/grammar-of-the-greek-new-testament-in-the-light-of-historical-research that tends to be in bibliography of modern Greek grammar resources for a number of important points ?

Note: BDAG and BDF have more than 1,000 links to Robertson's 1,500 page grammar.

Collection => http://www.logos.com/product/8534/georg-curtius-greek-studies-collection includes Principles of Greek Etymology Volume 1 that has a table:

REGULAR REPRESENTATION OF SOUNDS IN SANSKRIT, ZEND, GREEK, ITALIAN, TEUTONIC, CHURCH-SLAVONIC, LITHUANIAN, AND OLD IRISH 

logosres:grketymolvol01;ref=Page.p_146 

Curtius, G. (1886). Principles of Greek Etymology, Volume 1 (A. S. Wilkins & E. B. England, Trans.) (Fifth Edition) (146). London: John Murray.

Noticed 1886 precedes Robertson's grammar by 30 years.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 27 2013 5:37 AM

MJ. Smith:

I've not found a good Greek grammar based on Proto-IndoEuopean which is what I really need.

While it's not based on Proto-IndoEuropean (or Sanskrit), Robertson does frequently relate Greek words and forms to Sanskrit.

Robertson, A. T. A Grammar of the Greek New Testament in the Light of Historical Research, Logos Bible Software, 1919.

EVERYTHING you ever wanted to know about Greek but were afraid to ask (Well, not quite since I still like Smyth).

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 2038
Unix | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 4 2013 4:23 AM

I just ordered Blackwelder: Light from the Greek New Testament
It's cheap.

A much more expensive suggestion is: New Testament Greek Listening Materials: For the Elements of New Testament Greek (CD-Audio) (link to UK-based seller) and the book to go along with it.

I'm wondering if Catholic Practicum will be of any use for me learning Gk? (I'm trying to decide which pre-pub -orders to cancel as I have too many.):

Aply!
trulyergonomic.com 6,200own
12G A9-9420 V8.6 Acc 11
d:'13Q3 12G

Posts 808
Kevin Maples | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 22 2013 7:04 PM

David Taylor Jr:
Yes, but I am also a distance learning student do I don't have access to my professors like other students would.  I don't get the opportunity to ask questions while learning, makes it a little more difficult.

David, 

I have a degree in NT Greek and would be glad to answer questions for you as you learn. Feel free to message me with things you don't understand. I can't be a constant tutor, but I will be glad to help you when you get stuck. Message me or email me anytime. 

As for tools, there are many good ones, but I would recommend Mounce. It may be in your Logos base package already. 

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 22 2013 11:29 PM

Kevin Maples:

David Taylor Jr:
Yes, but I am also a distance learning student do I don't have access to my professors like other students would.  I don't get the opportunity to ask questions while learning, makes it a little more difficult.

David, 

I have a degree in NT Greek and would be glad to answer questions for you as you learn. Feel free to message me with things you don't understand. I can't be a constant tutor, but I will be glad to help you when you get stuck. Message me or email me anytime. 

As for tools, there are many good ones, but I would recommend Mounce. It may be in your Logos base package already. 

I think you can find 2 or 3 or 4 or 5 (or more) on the forum who will be happy to help you in any way possible, but I would also suggest that you start frequenting http://www.ibiblio.org/bgreek/forum/index.php/  Helping one another to learn and improve in Greek is the purpose of the group.

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 3
Kevin McKanna | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 7 2013 12:15 PM

Use "Basics of Biblical Greek Grammar" from Bill Mounce.  I am using it now and he makes things very straight forward and easy to understand.  They are putting most of his resources on Logos soon, currently on Pre-pub.  Go to www.teknia.com to look at what he has to offer.  The DVDs are about 50% off at CBD right now.

Posts 3
Kevin McKanna | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 7 2013 12:18 PM

Also, if you use "Learn to Use Biblical Greek/Hebrew with Logos Bible Software".  The discs are expensive, but it is very detailed.  It really breaks down the grammar for you, but you will have to work on vocabulary on your own.

Posts 1
nate johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 11 2015 8:32 PM

Download Teknia.com there are some free resources available. Bill Mounce is the Prof. 

Posts 10
Vince Romao | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 19 2017 12:27 PM

a number of folks have mentioned  Bill Mounce. Here is a link to his latest website with his courses and resources. I have heard many people say he is the go to guy for learning biblical greek. He also has a nice intro if you don't want to do the seminary level material. If I ever get around to studying biblical greek in a committed way, I will use his material. One thought, which is the reason I have not really started this type of study, is you have to decide you are going to read some biblical greek everyday, or almost everyday,  to keep your skills up. Otherwise you will lose all you learned and gained.

https://billmounce.com/biblestudygreek

Vince

Page 2 of 2 (32 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS