Need help filtering library!

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
This post has 8 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 58
Alan Gerling | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Aug 24 2012 8:43 PM

I recently have gone through my entire library and retagged the whole thing using a more consistent system.  Yesterday, I had to reformat and then reinstall Logos.  For some inexplicable reason, not all of my PBBs and new tags had synced properly (seems completely random too).  That said, when I retagged my whole library, I tagged everything either Read or Unread.  Therefore, all of the books that didn't sync the tags right do not have either of those tags on them.  Rather than wading through all 4,500 books, it would be nice to filter out all of the books that had synced the new tagging system properly.  

Essentially then, I need to filter NOT mytag:unread AND NOT mytag:read, but that doesn't work.  Does anyone know a way of doing this?

Posts 6686
Forum MVP
Lynden Williams | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 24 2012 8:53 PM

Try mytag:read. You may also want to create a collection using the rule.

Lynden Williams Communications https://www.lyndenwilliams.net 

Posts 58
Alan Gerling | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 24 2012 9:02 PM

I know how to filter in all of the read and unread books, I'm trying to figure out how to filter out all of those mytags which would leave all of the books that I have not tagged either read or unread (all of the books that didn't sync correctly).

Posts 28714
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 24 2012 9:37 PM

Alan - I am not quite sure I understand your problem, but I will take a stab at it. 

First, did you know that you can sort by tags? If you click on the "My Tags" tab, it will put all your resources into groups. NOTE: resources can appear in multiple groupings. If you have a tag of "men" and "family", a book could be in BOTH tabs.

If you ONLY have tags of "read" and "unread," this would work well. If you have other tags too, you might try adding a weird tag to all the books in the "read" and "unread" category.

I was able to do a filter search similar to what you wanted to do, but I had to have a third tag: mytag:vyrso ANDNOT mytag:family ANDNOT mytag:men . I am not sure if there is a wildcard that will work. I also tried this: e ANDNOT mytag:family ANDNOT mytag:men. It seemed to get most of the library since most resources will have at least ONE "e" in the metadata.

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 24 2012 9:46 PM

Alan Gerling:

I know how to filter in all of the read and unread books, I'm trying to figure out how to filter out all of those mytags which would leave all of the books that I have not tagged either read or unread (all of the books that didn't sync correctly).

Wonder what this filter shows:

edition:(l,e,u) -mytag:(read,unread)

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 58
Alan Gerling | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 24 2012 9:52 PM

alabama's e ANDNOT solution worked perfectly, though there are a depressing 3,678 books I'm going to have to retag <sigh>

Posts 58
Alan Gerling | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 24 2012 9:58 PM

Keep Smiling: Your suggesting did pull up five more books.   I believe this project can wait till another day....  

Any ideas why this might have happened?  It truly seems random, I can find no pattern to the gaps.

Posts 19071
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 25 2012 1:07 AM

alabama24:
I also tried this: e ANDNOT mytag:family ANDNOT mytag:men. It seemed to get most of the library since most resources will have at least ONE "e" in the metadata.

You can always use * to match everything in your library. And you can combine those two ANDNOT clauses into one by using the list operator (a comma); note that you have to put the list inside parentheses for it all to be associated with the mytag filter.

Thus this should work:

* ANDNOT mytag:(read, unread)

However using * is a bit slow. The filter rating:>=0 also gets your entire library and doesn't have to do a wildcard match, so it's faster. Also, you can also use - (minus) as a shorthand for ANDNOT.

So a better filter to try would be:

rating:>=0 -mytag:(read, unread)

KS4J's solution works too, because edition:(l,e,u) covers all the possible editions (Logos, eBook, and User). But it's subject to future breaking if Logos ever adds more edition types. On the other hand, rating:>=0 should always work. I doubt they will ever introduce negative ratings.

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 25 2012 9:59 AM

Alan Gerling:
Any ideas why this might have happened?

Puzzling; wonder if sync completed after updating library ?  followed by sync after reinstall ?

Rosie Perera:
KS4J's solution works too, because edition:(l,e,u) covers all the possible editions (Logos, eBook, and User). But it's subject to future breaking if Logos ever adds more edition types.

Concur edition list could grow.  Personally use edition:e while sorting library by last updated so can tag recent free additions from vyrso.com

Thankful for 217 free vyrso eBook's since Thanksgiving 2011.

Keep Smiling Smile

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS