Pre-pub status definitions

Page 1 of 1 (16 items)
This post has 15 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 13
Stephen Feild | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Nov 20 2009 12:32 PM

I have not been able to find a list of the various statuses for pre-publication items, nor a clear definition of each.  I have seen "under development" and "under contract" and "gathering interest."  What are the various statuses and what does each one mean?

Steve

Posts 5573
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 20 2009 1:03 PM

StephenJFeild:

I have not been able to find a list of the various statuses for pre-publication items, nor a clear definition of each.  I have seen "under development" and "under contract" and "gathering interest."  What are the various statuses and what does each one mean?

Steve

"Gathering Interest" means there is not yet enough support to justify producing the resource.

"Under Development" and "Under contract" mean that the resources is being developed. I'm not sure if the distinction is between Logos doing it in house, vs. contracting it to a 3rd party, or if the difference is just in wording (but means the same thing).

Help links: WIKI;  Logos 6 FAQ. (Phil. 2:14, NIV)

Posts 5337
Kevin Becker | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 20 2009 1:06 PM

The 1st level is "Gathering interest" Logos will not start working on a book (in most cases) until they have enough orders to assure that they will not lose money. If you place a prepub but it doesn't get enough "interest" to warrant its production, that order will be cancelled.

"Under development" means that Logos' production team is working on transforming the title into a digital book. If you monitor the Logos blog you can sometimes get clues as to when products are getting ready to ship. EDIT: Or, of course, watch the pre-pub page to see what dates are listed there. A word of warning the "release dates" are very flexible. Christian History Magazine got pushed back multiple times.

"Under contract" is a prepub that you have ordered (If I remember correctly). Your credit card will be charged when the title is ready to ship.

Hope this helps.

Posts 13
Stephen Feild | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 20 2009 1:40 PM

So, if I understand correctly, while "under contract" probably only means that I have agree to buy it when available, "under development" means that it is beyond the gathering interest stage and is already being produced.  Is that right?  And so, if I have several pre-pubs "under development" I better be ready to pay at some point in the near future?

Steve

Posts 5573
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 20 2009 2:05 PM

StephenJFeild:

So, if I understand correctly, while "under contract" probably only means that I have agree to buy it when available, "under development" means that it is beyond the gathering interest stage and is already being produced.  Is that right?  And so, if I have several pre-pubs "under development" I better be ready to pay at some point in the near future?

Steve

No "Under contract" means the book is being developed right now and could be released at any time.

You should think of paying some time soon. This could be anywhere from a few days, to a few months.

Normally, you'll get an email a few days in advance of the actual 'ship' date asking you to confirm your credit card info. If that's all the time you need, you're good to go. Otherwise, set the money aside as quickly as possible and consider it spent until the actual bill comes in the mail (from your credit card company, of course). If you're using a bank debit-type card, make sure you have a cushion for the cost of the resource, plus sales tax and shipping (if applicable).

Help links: WIKI;  Logos 6 FAQ. (Phil. 2:14, NIV)

Posts 221
James Thompson | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 6 2010 11:27 AM

Logos has been intentionally vague on these terms, at least that's how I preceive it. Last year I had an item ordered and it stayed in the "under development" for the entire year! I would call CS and ask for a little more specificity and get only a "not sure when it will be ready but call back anytime."  I eventually cancelled the order.

I appreciate that contract terms and production delays make it difficult to speak exactly to a delivery date but all contracts have deliverables. I'd like to see terminology that would at least give us some inkling of an expected delivery/ship date. The current terms are just too broad and meaningless.  Right now I have an item on order that has the classification "under development". I really want the item but I'm not sure how long it'll be under development.

Can we get some improvement in this area? Thanks!

Posts 579
Jim VanSchoonhoven | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 6 2010 12:17 PM

I believe one set of commentaries, The Greek Testament, by Henry Alford has been under development for around one and half years, I called on it this summer, and was told it might be ready in November and you can see how that has worked out.

I actually gave my paper set of this commentary away,  because I was told by someone at Logos that once an item hit under development the normal waiting time was 3-6 months.  Wow, do I miss this resource!!!

So you may expect to have to pay for it soon once it hits under development, but it may not happen, I have used the money I would have spent on this set over and over again, and in fact I have the money on hand right now, but I am thinking of spending it for some other resources that are on sale right now. and then hope I can replenish the cash supply again before it is actually out of pre-pub.

In Christ,

Jim

Posts 569
J. Morris | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 6 2010 12:46 PM

James Thompson:

The current terms are just too broad and meaningless.  Right now I have an item on order that has the classification "under development". I really want the item but I'm not sure how long it'll be under development.

Can we get some improvement in this area? Thanks!

I'm in agreement.  The pre-pub program is an EXCELLENT thing, but I wish they would give a bit more informaiton about the issues discussed here.

Posts 1145
William | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 8 2010 4:40 PM

James Thompson:
I appreciate that contract terms and production delays make it difficult to speak exactly to a delivery date but all contracts have deliverables. I'd like to see terminology that would at least give us some inkling of an expected delivery/ship date. The current terms are just too broad and meaningless.  Right

I agree.  There should be more communication between logos and its clients in regards to products that are pre-pubs or community pricing to pre-pubs.  I would love to hear anything whatsoever on the Hebrew Pronunciation add-in.  I put this product on pre-pub on September 2, 2007.  I guess they have had some difficulties getting the product to work under 3.0 and now that 4.0 is out it might be easier to work with.  It would be nice to hear something. 

William

Posts 29345
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 8 2010 4:44 PM

I believe Bob Pritchett addressed this (Hebrew Pronunciation add-in) in another thread quite recently.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 18886
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 8 2010 5:04 PM

I believe "Under contract" and "Under development" are synonyms. It's just that it shows up as "Under development" if you look on the pre-pubs description page and as "Under contract" if you look at the same resource in your "My pre-pubs" basket. If you scroll through the pre-pubs product list, you will see that none of them are marked "Under contract" but lots are marked "Under development." I have 70 items in my pre-pub basket (don't worry; I'm not planning to buy them ALL, I just put them there on impulse and then remove them later when I come to my senses). Lots of them are marked "Under contract" (all of these ones show as "Under development" on their description page) but none are marked at "Under development." I think that's enough data to prove my theory.

As to the vagueness of what "Under contract" (aka "Under development") actually means, I agree it's confusing and frustrating at times.

Posts 18886
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 8 2010 5:06 PM

MJ. Smith:

I believe Bob Pritchard addressed this in another thread quite recently.

It's unclear what you meant by "this" since you didn't quote context. In case you were responding to the immediately previous poster who was asking about the Hebrew Pronunciation Add-in, Bob Pritchett addressed it in this post.  I don't recall him addressing the general subject of pre-pub status definitions, but I might have missed it.

Posts 1145
William | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 8 2010 9:37 PM

Rosie Perera:

MJ. Smith:

I believe Bob Pritchard addressed this in another thread quite recently.

It's unclear what you meant by "this" since you didn't quote context. In case you were responding to the immediately previous poster who was asking about the Hebrew Pronunciation Add-in, Bob Pritchett addressed it in this post.  I don't recall him addressing the general subject of pre-pub status definitions, but I might have missed it.

I assume that was the intent Rosie.  Thanks very much for that reference.  I had been skipping that particular thread. 

I figured that something about the language was truly funky when it comes to pronunciating it and it has taken so long in the process.  I appreciate the fact that Mr. Pritchett did tell us what was going on.  I just feel like maybe a quarterly or semi-annual update on open projects would be nice. Now that we have the forum maybe something like that could happen.  I guess I am thinking about this learn greek and hebrew with logos software project.  Was it first really released here in the forums or another way?

William

Posts 18886
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 8 2010 9:55 PM

William Bingham:

I guess I am thinking about this learn greek and hebrew with logos software project.  Was it first really released here in the forums or another way?

I think it was first announced on the Logos blog: http://blog.logos.com/archives/2009/12/learn_biblical_greek_and_hebrew_with_logos_bible_software.html

Posts 1145
William | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 8 2010 10:27 PM

Rosie Perera:

It's not a big deal but the date on the blog page was December 18, and the post here in the forums was December 13.  Anyway, maybe with the forums more information can be deciminated.  Any user of logos should read at least the titles of the forums.  I think this is an outstanding way to pass information.  Like you desired in another posting leave the body blank and just say....(New Product:  The 14,435 volume set of Biblical Antiquities from Isreal)  Cost $50,000 Retail 1 million  Big Smile

William

Posts 18886
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 8 2010 10:51 PM

William Bingham:

Any user of logos should read at least the titles of the forums. I think this is an outstanding way to pass information. 

I think the forums and the blogs serve two different purposes, though there is some overlap. The forums are primarily a way for users to report bugs, make suggestions, ask questions, and help each other with the answers as a first line of defense, since we're active round the clock in multiple time zones, and Logos is only open during business hours (though of course Logos employees are perusing the forums too). The blog is primarily the way for Logos to disseminate information, though of course users sometimes post their questions in the comments section on blog posts. I saw one over there the other day about indexing which had 60 comments on it. I began thinking maybe those of us forum regulars who spend a lot of time answering people's questions ought to be scanning the blog comments, too. But I think Logos has that under control, more so than they've been able to keep up here.

I think the Forum would not be the best place for Logos to disseminate info because it would quickly become buried in all the posts here. There are a ton of questions that would swamp any of the info coming from Logos. I think the beta release notes are the main thing Logos puts out here on the forums. And you're right that the announcement placed here by a Logos employee about the Learning Greek and Hebrew videos did make it out before the blog announcement. I suspect that's mostly because there are different teams of people responsible for the different communication channels. Not that we're privileged here or anything. Wink  To be sure not to miss anything you're really need to peruse both places. You can easily review what you might have missed on the blog by going to http://blog.logos.com/archives.html and perusing the titles. It's not so easy here on the forum -- 8848 threads at last count; I can't even keep up with them all and I'm on here virtually all day! Good luck! Wink 

That's not to say I'd suggest they shouldn't ever disseminate info here too, as a redundancy, to make sure everyone who is only reading the forums and not the blog will get it.

William Bingham:

Like you desired in another posting leave the body blank and just say....(New Product:  The 14,435 volume set of Biblical Antiquities from Isreal)  Cost $50,000 Retail 1 million  Big Smile

Yeah, now that would be a title to have!

Page 1 of 1 (16 items) | RSS