Advance Notice: Logos Ending Windows XP Support October 26, 2012

Page 7 of 23 (446 items) « First ... < Previous 5 6 7 8 9 Next > ... Last »
This post has 445 Replies | 12 Followers

Posts 1859
David Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 6 2012 12:32 PM

Paul Golder:
last scan shows that she is still in remission, and she is back at university having the time of her life. Praise God!

Praise God, indeed!!

Making Disciples!  Logos Ecosystem = Logos8 on Microsoft Surface Pro 4 (Win10), Android app on tablet, FSB on iPhone, [deprecated] Windows App, Proclaim, Faithlife.com, FaithlifeTV via Connect subscription.

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 6 2012 12:32 PM

Paul Golder:
 it's just so depressing to sit there deleting one community pricing title after another out of my account. We do what we can...  

I am there with you. My hospital bill for the month of May alone was as much as I spent on my first 10,000 Logos books. I spent March in a nursing home and 5 more hospitalizations of a week or more each.  It can get discouraging deleting CP or Pre-Pubs.

THE GOOD NEWS IS..  down the road, when things get better, Logos will have some sales and discounts we will be able to take advantage of.  I don't expect Logos to freeze all progress. I'm not offended by other's joyful estate.  Their prayers are all I ask for. 

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 6 2012 12:44 PM

Super Tramp:
I'm not offended by other's joyful estate.  Their prayers are all I ask for. 

I will keep both you and Paul's daughter in mind.  Be thankful for God's love (as I am sure you are).

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 1674
Paul Golder | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 6 2012 12:47 PM

Super Tramp:
I don't expect Logos to freeze all progress. I'm not offended by other's joyful estate.

+1 Yes

Super Tramp:
I am there with you. My hospital bill for the month of May alone was as much as I spent on my first 10,000 Logos books.

I made the mistake of asking to see what the insurance company paid for the first year. She handed me a 72 page document and when I saw the number, I said: "What do you need my little co-pay for?" Surprise

You'll be in my prayers.

"As any translator will attest, a literal translation is no translation at all."

Posts 27775
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 6 2012 12:50 PM

Paul Golder:
Thank you, last scan shows that she is still in remission, and she is back at university having the time of her life. Praise God!

Amen! Smile

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 1674
Paul Golder | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 6 2012 1:04 PM

George Somsel:

I will keep both you and Paul's daughter in mind.  Be thankful for God's love (as I am sure you are).

Thanks George. His Grace is amazing, if not for His love, and the love of His people, I don't see how we could have made it.

I don't know how Job did it, sitting there on the ashes, scraping his scabs, and all his friends come by just to tell him "You know, this is all your own fault"

"As any translator will attest, a literal translation is no translation at all."

Posts 25045
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 6 2012 7:33 PM

Ed Blough:
Seems there is still a ton of XP users and I haven't heard many good things about Windows 8. In fact my computer guy is really worried because he feels Windows 8 may be a bust and he doesn't have a good alternative. 

Beneath the Metro hood Windows 8 is a leaner, faster Windows 7 without a Start menu; and many functions are simplified (e.g. Task Manager) or work better (e.g. file copy, backup). Free replacements for the Start menu are available; ranging from a clone of Win 7 to an enhanced menu with different skins and many options. The two I have tried in the Win 8 RTM (trial version) can boot straight to the Desktop, bypassing Metro.

The real problem people will face is upgrading an old computer from XP, so I recommend that you consider upgrading to Windows 7 as you can run a compatibility check beforehand and its retail price has dropped recently. If it is incompatible then it clarifies the way to go!

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 17
Rev A W Palmer | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 6 2012 8:28 PM

I can appreciate the motivation and drive that has put Logos at the top of Christian software,  however high product prices and the need to keep up-to-date with hardware and operating systems, whether on Macs or Windows, is providing a real obstacle in my part of the world (New Zealand) in attempting to introducie Seminary and Bible College Students to Logos, and encouraging them to think in terms of a Logos software library for their future ministry in the Lord's service. 

I remember when Logos 1 and 2 were first introduced to New Zealand, Logos adoped a generous policy of reduced pricing for NZ students and ministers.  That's when I first began to work with Logos even though I was a Mac fanatic, and used an emulation program to have access to Logos, before also getting a Windows machine, just to keep up-to-date and get the most out of my Logos library. I have been able to grow my library through the years.

Sadly that is not the situation any more, and despite my promoting Logos, and demonstrating its advantages to my students over the last few years, I have all but given up now since it seems almost callous and cruel to dangle the unaffordable before their eyes.

Terminating supporting Windows XP and forecasting the end of Mac Leopard and probably Snow Leopard might not mean much to Logos management in the US but it won't help many students here.

Arthur Palmer.

Posts 10234
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 6 2012 8:48 PM

Agree, Rev Palmer. Something changed with 'Logos4'. I'll leave it at that.

Posts 1
Steve Mellor | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 7 2012 9:37 AM

I understand the need to take advantage of the newer operating systems. It would be nice if there was some level of support and compatability with Logos on XP. What of the people that can't afford to upgrade beyond XP at this time?

Posts 27775
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 7 2012 9:47 AM

Steve Mellor:
What of the people that can't afford to upgrade beyond XP at this time?

Steve - First, welcome to the forums!

Let me clarify... Logos 4 is not Cinderella which will turn into a pumpkin come November. You will still be able to use the software then as you can do today. What you won't be able to do is to run future versions of the software. 

Posts 1893
Donnie Hale | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 7 2012 10:08 AM

Seems like it's gone from "gathering feedback" to "official announcement". It's on the Logos blog now.

Donnie

Posts 1674
Paul Golder | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 7 2012 10:34 AM

alabama24:
What you won't be able to do is to run future versions of the software

And not use some future resources:

"This will not disable any XP systems, but future book releases may use new features or data types only available in newer versions of Logos, and therefore, may not be usable on Windows XP systems."

Posts 641
Jim | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 7 2012 10:46 AM

I'm retired on a very limited income. My 5 year old HP Pavilion lap top does not support enough memory to make purchasing any new Windows OS's viable. So the thousands of dollars of investment in Logos just comes to an end unless I spend between $500 to $1000 to replace my computer. I would if I could. I know Microsoft was going to end support for XP eventually, but the reality is that I'm not in a place to upgrade.

Have a great day,
jmac

Posts 27775
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 7 2012 11:00 AM

Paul Golder:

alabama24:
What you won't be able to do is to run future versions of the software

And not use some future resources:

"This will not disable any XP systems, but future book releases may use new features or data types only available in newer versions of Logos, and therefore, may not be usable on Windows XP systems."

The same was true of new resources on L3. Until recently, new resources were still useable in L3… I have no inside info, but assume the same will be true with L5. But again, users will not have lost anything… they will just have to update moving forward.

Posts 6
Scott Pixler | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 7 2012 11:04 AM

Bob,

I use Logos 4 on two laptops, one a Dell XP and the other a MacBookpro on 10.7. Should I refuse future updates to Logos4 on my XP machine?

Posts 1674
Paul Golder | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 7 2012 11:08 AM

alabama24:
The same was true of new resources on L3. Until recently, new resources were still useable in L3… I have no inside info, but assume the same will be true with L5. But again, users will not have lost anything… they will just have to update moving forward

True

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 7 2012 11:16 AM

Scott Pixler:

Bob,

I use Logos 4 on two laptops, one a Dell XP and the other a MacBookpro on 10.7. Should I refuse future updates to Logos4 on my XP machine?

From what has been said, that will not be necessary as Logos will recognize that you are running Xp and will not update.

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 1
ken alexander | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 7 2012 11:32 AM

i have windows Vista. I don't know if its Vista SP2. will your updates run on Windows Vista?

Posts 8
Jim Gammon | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 7 2012 11:33 AM

Your need to upgrade is understandable. YET this is notification at the last minute.

A year ago, you could have announced plans to make changes on or about the time MS produced a new OS. Periodic updates to that announcement ("yup, still looks like we will change with them," etc.) would have been reasonable.

My dedicated XP machine has over 3100 of your books. Buying totally new equipment and OS is not in my plans this year.  I wanted the new OS to get the bugs out before investing.

Now, I've committed to  most of your community pricing, and do not see a need to purchase a $3500 machine just because you SUDDENLY come up with the bright idea to change.

When you add this to the fact, that my fastest XP machine would not run with your software (Even with a high priced Computer man here working with your Customer Service Techs), so I had to acquire the dedicated machine last fall to run it, that really makes me wonder what you derive from your Bible study, except dollars.

Page 7 of 23 (446 items) « First ... < Previous 5 6 7 8 9 Next > ... Last » | RSS