Advance Notice: Logos Ending OS X 10.5 “Leopard" Support October 26, 2012

Page 2 of 2 (35 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 34 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 10523
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 8 2012 11:47 AM

fgh:
even older Hypercard stacks to figure out what to do with.

Wow! I fondly remember programming scripting in Hypercard. It was a sad day, then I found Helix, but so did some rather stupid owners. Then 4D, but the update costs are prohibitive. We need to find an alternative for inventory control.

Posts 8893
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 8 2012 11:57 AM

My problem is I have some NT research in there I don't want to loose forever.

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 10523
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 8 2012 12:18 PM

fgh:

My problem is I have some NT research in there I don't want to loose forever.

You must still have a machine with OS 9 or earlier, or I believe you could run "Classic OS" on machine with the PowerPC processor (pre-Intel).

Posts 8
Ian Carmichael | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 8 2012 3:34 PM

Well, you've given me notice. Thanks. That puts you streets ahead of Amazon's Reader App "upgrade" which destroyed Kindle accessibility for my Mac (- and their crippled Cloud reader - which can't provide page numbering.) However, it is important to me that support for OSX 10.5 continues - because I'm hardware constrained to 10.5.8, and I have no wish to buy new hardware for some time. (Unless Mr Bezos gives me a new machine, as I've been asking him!)

Posts 10523
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 8 2012 5:55 PM

Ian Carmichael:
Well, you've given me notice.

Don't read too much into the title. This does not mean that your system will suddenly cease to operate with L4.

Bob Pritchett:
Your existing install should continue to run, but future releases of Logos Bible Software will require newer versions of OS X.

This will not disable your system, but future releases of books may use new features or data types only available in newer versions of Logos, and thus will not be usable on OS X 10.5. …

Logos 5 will probably not be compatible with Mac OS 10.5.8—whenever that version appears.

Posts 2237
mab | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 8 2012 7:03 PM

I went to Snow Leopard once I contemplated going with L4. Snow Leopard improved my old Mac's performance enough that it was worthwhile doing all by itself.

Leaving Snow Leopard for Lion or Mountain Lion is a closed door for a lot of older Macs like mine. But upgrading to Snow Leopard is almost a no-brainer and a dirt cheap performance enhancer over Leopard.

The mind of man is the mill of God, not to grind chaff, but wheat. Thomas Manton | Study hard, for the well is deep, and our brains are shallow. Richard Baxter

Posts 8893
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 9 2012 1:58 PM

Jack Caviness:
You must still have a machine with OS 9 or earlier, or I believe you could run "Classic OS" on machine with the PowerPC processor (pre-Intel).

Oh, I have an old Performa I could load HyperCards on (provided the floppies are still readable). The problem is how to convert the content into something that can be used (or at the very least read) in OS X.

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 10523
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 9 2012 6:53 PM

fgh:
I have an old Performa

Had one of those that I purchased from Sears, but it disappeared long ago

fgh:
The problem is how to convert the content into something that can be used (or at the very least read) in OS X.

Seem to remember when moving from Hypercard to Helix, I needed to reenter everything Crying

Good luck

Posts 5248
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 9 2012 9:39 PM

I have Basilisk II and SheepShaver both on my macbook pro, the one gives me stable OS 8 and the other stable OS 9, if SheepShaver was perfect i would have no need for the other but there are items i like to access that run under one and not the other going both ways. I use each of them only a few times a month but they do work well….and i can easily swap files out  and print to PDF in SS to print out a PDF version of my print in OS X.

-Dan

Posts 8893
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 10 2012 8:49 AM

That might be worth investigating, when I'm done converting all my old MacWrite Pro and Claris Works files.

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 10523
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 10 2012 11:44 AM

fgh:
converting all my old MacWrite Pro and Claris Works files.

Keep this up, and someone will begin to believe that you are as old as George S Big Smile

Posts 8893
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 10 2012 12:00 PM

Jack Caviness:
Keep this up, and someone will begin to believe that you are as old as George S Big Smile

Not as old as he is, but older than he claims to be. Big Smile

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 5248
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 10 2012 6:58 PM

http://www.emaculation.com is going to help you… Hope you can find some old system disks…

-Dan

Posts 451
Mitchell | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 10 2012 8:47 PM

If this decision means we get Grand Central Dispatch and native fullscreen, I'm a happy camper.

Posts 1
Lloyd Mansfield | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 11 2012 6:27 PM

OK. You are ending OS X.5 support. That is understandable. Some of us in the Mac world do not upgrade every time something new comes along. Some of us have a lot of excellent programs that do not need upgrades to run. So PLEASE don't drop OS X.6. There is no need to make your program, super duper newer faster more complex and frustrating.  Some of us are struggling to use what we have and do not intend to keep spending more and more.

Lloyd Mansfield

Page 2 of 2 (35 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS