Page 3 of 5 (97 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next >
This post has 96 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 8644
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 21 2009 6:44 AM | Locked

Damian McGrath:
for I have seen my name spelt correctly!
Yeah but you spelled spelt wrong.  Stick out tongue

Hmm Sarcasm is my love language. Obviously I love you. 

Posts 2212
Damian McGrath | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 21 2009 6:58 AM | Locked

Thomas Black:
Yeah but you spelled spelt wrong. 

I learned that when I was young but all my dictionaries have since been burned, so I can't consult them.

Oh well no point crying over spilled milk.

Posts 347
Mitch Davis | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 21 2009 6:58 AM | Locked

Damian McGrath:
Well the crowds now almost all here!

Created 'Logos Beta' account.....downloaded and installed....indexed overnight......woke up and played (ahem, I mean studied)...testing out new features while studying Malachi.

So far, I have mixed reactions to various tasks...but everything was done on a whim.....no real "testing". Overall, I enjoy the new features....it is very visually pleasing... if not a tad too feminine for me (my wife loves it...makes her think of the Logos 'Bible Study' magazine....I think she is the type who is smack in the middle of being the target of Logos' marketing).

Posts 8644
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 21 2009 7:06 AM | Locked

Damian McGrath:
Oh well no point crying over spilled milk.
Don't you mean 'spilt'?

Hmm Sarcasm is my love language. Obviously I love you. 

Posts 707
Russ Quinn | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 21 2009 7:53 AM | Locked

I am loving me some Datasheet!
Seriously useful! Now we are talking! I am verklempt!

Did anybody lose their collections besides me?
My layouts, favorites, bookmarks, clippings, notes, reading plans, and highlighting all synced to the beta version but no collections.

Also, DamiAn, did you do something to get the Cited By tool to list the individual books in sublists as shown in your screenshot?

Can't seem to get mine to do that . .

Full disclaimer and possible cause of discrepancy: I installed the beta on a separate account, canceled the download process, and copied the entire folder structure from Logos4/Data/{random.name} in the old install to the beta install.

It didn't download anything or reindex but seems to be working fine other than the missing collections and the Cited By tool apparently working differently.

May not be the best way to upgrade but I was able to check out the datasheet (did I mention that I love that) after about a twenty minute process.
My poor little old country DSL connection would have taken the entire weekend to download a fresh resource install. 

Posts 2212
Damian McGrath | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 21 2009 7:59 AM | Locked

RussQuinn:
Also, DamiAn, did you do something to get the Cited By tool to list the individual books in sublists as shown in your screenshot?

Russ, go to the panel menu - all of this is new:

Posts 707
Russ Quinn | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 21 2009 8:03 AM | Locked

Oh I see. It is on mine too.

Works great! That is very helpful. Thanks for the help.

Did your collections come over from your old install?

Posts 2363
Forum MVP
John Fidel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 21 2009 8:06 AM | Locked

My collections came over perfectly. I installed over my 4.0 account.

Posts 707
Russ Quinn | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 21 2009 8:21 AM | Locked

JohnFidel:

My collections came over perfectly. I installed over my 4.0 account.

Got my collections back.

I copied the ResourceCollectionManager database file in Logos4/Documents/{randomnumber}/ResourceCollectionManager from my old install to the new install.

I apparently have everything now.

I'm not sure if I've compromised my ability to be helpful as a Beta tester with this process.

I'm thinking I might do a fresh install tomorrow when I am on a much faster internet connection at work to eliminate any possible problems caused by all my hacking.

Posts 2779
Kevin A. Purcell | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 21 2009 8:38 AM | Locked

Phil Gons:

Frank Sauer:

Phil, I ran a couple search function, but do not see anything labeled datasheet. Where would one find this function?

It's a display option under Bible search and morph search.

Don't see it. I did a Bible search for predestined and for Jesus. Neither have it. I installed using the above link and when I go to Help About it says sr7. Should it say 4.0a? If so then why didn't I get the beta with the link above?

UPDATE: I deleted the intaller from my downloads folder and re-downloaded and re-ran it and now it says beta and I see the datasheet.

Can someone explain the benefit? What would I use this for? I have some guesses but I'd like to hear your uses.

Posts 707
Russ Quinn | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 21 2009 8:45 AM | Locked

Kevin A. Purcell:

Don't see it. I did a Bible search for predestined and for Jesus. Neither have it. I installed using the above link and when I go to Help About it says sr7. Should it say 4.0a? If so then why didn't I get the beta with the link above?

Kevin,

Not sure why your download didn't work but I used the same link and my new install says this . . .

I replicated your search for predestined and have the datasheet as an option.

Russ

Posts 707
Russ Quinn | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 21 2009 9:00 AM | Locked

Kevin A. Purcell:

Can someone explain the benefit? What would I use this for? I have some guesses but I'd like to hear your uses.

Kevin,

Glad you resolved the problem.

For me, the datasheet is probably one of the most significant improvements. It really reduces my need for other software.

The main benefit is that it allows you to easily group results by dragging and dropping the various categories from the header.

This is a very user friendly and powerful way to aggregate search results into a lot of useful arrangements.

Taking your search for predestined in the ESV, for instance, returns 5 results in 5 verses. Using the datasheet view, one can quickly rearrange the results to find that they are all aorist tense, three are indicative mood and two are participles, four are active voice and one is passive.

For those who do a lot of work in original languages, this is very powerful.

Probably 30% of my need for Accordance was eliminated by this functionality.

Russ

Posts 418
davidphillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 21 2009 11:45 AM | Locked

Downloading now! Looking forward to testing again :)

Posts 1706
LogosEmployee
Bob Pritchett | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 21 2009 12:05 PM | Locked

RussQuinn:

Just curious... what's the other 70%

Posts 4508
Robert Pavich | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 21 2009 1:04 PM | Locked

RussQuinn:

The main benefit is that it allows you to easily group results by dragging and dropping the various categories from the header.

This is a very user friendly and powerful way to aggregate search results into a lot of useful arrangements.

Taking your search for predestined in the ESV, for instance, returns 5 results in 5 verses. Using the datasheet view, one can quickly rearrange the results to find that they are all aorist tense, three are indicative mood and two are participles, four are active voice and one is passive.

For those who do a lot of work in original languages, this is very powerful.

I'm still downloading resources...but I'm trembling at the moment...this is good..

Robert Pavich

For help go to the Wiki: http://wiki.logos.com/Table_of_Contents__

Posts 707
Russ Quinn | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 21 2009 1:42 PM | Locked

Bob Pritchett:

RussQuinn:

Just curious... what's the other 70%

Assuming the planned addition of verse lists, word lists, vocabulary lists, and sentence diagramming in a stable Mac version, I would break it down like this:

• 50% = user friendly interface to build complex morphological searches on both biblical and non-biblical texts. It really helps me to be able to visualize the construction.
  • 10% = custom highlighting styles so I can do my synoptic highlighting
  • 5% = speed for opening program and quickly getting to a particular Bible text (I'm currently running Logos 4 in Parallels so this isn't fair comparison and I am learning ways to configure Logos 4 that help with getting what I need quickly)
  • 5% = ability to import searchable non-biblical Greek texts (TLG)

I've got a feeling that we will be at 95% by the middle of next year. Am I right?

Posts 322
Michael Parry-Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 21 2009 1:50 PM | Locked

I really like the new colour text on the topics, interesting words

the new speech help is awsome,

thank you for the new improvements, I enjoy testing the new features that come out in the beta program

Since using version 4, I have learnt more about God's Word than I ever did when I was using version 3

please keep rolling out the improvements and new features awesome program

mickBig Smile

Mick
Posts 3705
BillS | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 21 2009 2:02 PM | Locked

Bryan Albert:
Run the special beta installer here: http://downloads.logos.com/LBS4/InstallerBeta/Logos4Setup.exe 

I'm not sure where to post bugs, so I'll post here...

Install went fine, over the top of the latest SR for 4.0.

Beta appears to be working correctly, but it appears on my setup to have lost the ability to remember whether [Edit] SOME windows were minimized or not at last.

My default layout now includes a main window & 6 floating windows. The floating windows are all saved minimized. However, 4.0a prefers [edit] ONE not to be minimized at startup, in contrast to the last SR release, that remembered how I had set them. This is true whether it's the snapshot that loads at startup or whether I reload my saved layout. [Edit] The one that won't load minimized is The Bible Reader's Companion.

Thanks for all you folks do for us!

Bill

Grace & Peace,
Bill

MSI GF63 8RD, I-7 8850H, 32GB RAM, 1TB SSD, 2TB HDD, NVIDIA GTX 1050Max
Samsung S9+, 64GB
Fire 10HD 64GB 7th Gen

Posts 406
Fred Greco | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 21 2009 5:21 PM | Locked

Ok, let me ask a pretty basic question.  Assume, for the sake of argument, that while I am aware of the disclaimer at the beginning of this thread, I fully intend to install Logos4aB1 on my main production machine.  (I create entire system image backups weekly, so even on a meltdown, I am in good shape).

What is the best way to "upgrade" to the beta?  Do I have to uninstall Logos 4.0?  Can I install over the top?  My main concern is:

• downloading resources over again
  • Indexing everything over again from scratch.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Fred Greco
Senior Pastor, Christ Church PCA, Katy, TX
Windows 10 64-bit; Logos 7.1 SR-2 (Reformed Platinum)

Posts 2212
Damian McGrath | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 21 2009 5:29 PM | Locked

Fred Greco:

What is the best way to "upgrade" to the beta?  Do I have to uninstall Logos 4.0?  Can I install over the top?  My main concern is:

• downloading resources over again
  • Indexing everything over again from scratch.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Just install over the top.

I've now done it on two machines. 

You run the installer - it replaces what needs replacing.

Nothing is indexed.

Page 3 of 5 (97 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > | RSS