Please Consider Making Word Lists More Useful

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
This post has 3 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 23
Kent Maitland | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Aug 30 2012 10:24 PM

The implementation of word lists is something I've been anticipating for a very long time. I have to admit, while I am grateful to see the feature at last in Logos 4, it is presently for me a huge disapointment. Please consider the following suggestions for making this feature actually useful for (those like) me:

It looks to me as if there is no way to switch to grid view within Logos for printing. This isn't a serious issue, since we can export to a Word document and print that way. However, I think it could still be helpful to be able to choose whether we want to print the cards or the grid within Logos export. Consider adding this feature.

In light of said workaround for sending the grid to a Word document, this export is not very helpful for a number of reasons. So far as I can tell, the only way the grid will arrange is by verse order, which, for my purposes, is the least helpful. It would be much appreciated if the grid could be exported/printed according to the lemma, word count, etc. depending on what I choose. Again, not a complete loss because I could just arrange the grid from within Logos and look at it that way. But, there are obvious advantages to be able to put the order I desire to paper, not the least of which being eye-strain. Finally, I would suggest that for arrangement by verse order, consider inserting verse numbers to make it easier to determine where one verse ends and another begins.

For context, I am a Seminary student that is presently trying to hone my Greek and Hebrew skills. The ability to export Word Lists according to, say, alphabetical (lemma) order would allow me to have a quicker reference sheet for the definitions of words in any given passage I'm needing to translate. It's a lot easier to look at a word list that is made for only a select few verses or chapters than to have to constantly thumb through a giant lexicon. Also, exporting Word Lists by, say, Word Count would allow me to determine what words necessarily require my attention in a verse, chapter, or book and which do not.

Thanks ahead of time for your consideration.

Posts 1216
Matt Hamrick | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 30 2012 10:33 PM

Kent I am also a student taking Greek and Hebrew.. I took Greek last year and taking Hebrew this year. I relied heavily on Logos Bible Software for Greek and I am trying not to use it for Hebrew. I think I will understand more without using Logos. There is a video I saw, but I cannot remember where that showed how to pull the Greek and Hebrew words out to make a word list. If I find it again I will give it to you. It is a neat little trick using Logos to make a word list.

Posts 1216
Matt Hamrick | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 31 2012 4:15 PM

Hello Kent,

I found that video I was talking about in my previous post that you may find helpful. Go to your reading lists and look for the topic "Logos Windows training videos" by MJ Smith. There are some good video's to watch to learn how to use Logos 4. However, you ware looking for a specific one so scroll down the list until you get to user created vids and go to Michael Hite's video called "Replacing Vocabulary Lists from Logos 3." That would be a good video for you to watch to help you with what you are asking for. Like I said, this is a work around for vocab lists. Enjoy.

Posts 10660
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 31 2012 5:03 PM

Kent, 

Kent Maitland:
while I am grateful to see the feature at last in Logos 4, it is presently for me a huge disapointment.

I understand that we users all struggle a bit with new features that get rolled out with little documentation. However, I think your harsh judgement may be a bit premature.

Kent Maitland:
export is not very helpful for a number of reasons. So far as I can tell, the only way the grid will arrange is by verse order, which, for my purposes, is the least helpful. It would be much appreciated if the grid could be exported/printed according to the lemma, word count, etc. depending on what I choose

If you export the Word List to Excel (note that a spreadsheet may make more sense for data in a grid), the sheet will have the sort order you choose in Logos i.e. by Lemma, word count, section whatever. You may then use sort and filter functionality to rearrange, should you feel the need for it, and print as you wish.  

Kent Maitland:
I would suggest that for arrangement by verse order, consider inserting verse numbers to make it easier to determine where one verse ends and another begins.

Maybe you confuse Word Lists with Passage lists here? If you make the word list from a twenty verse paragraph, it will count the occurrences of the lemmas. So, in producing the list it will put a lemma from verse two after the lemmas from verse one. But a word in verse three that already occured will just increase the hit count of the existing lemma, thus there's no point in determining where verses end.

Running Logos 8 latest beta version on Win 10

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS