Tracking bot or cookie

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
This post has 4 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 23
Jim Poulsen | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Sep 7 2012 7:21 PM

My net filter has recently started blocking gp1.wac.edgecastcdn.net/ several times everytime I access the Logos website.

Googling it reveals the following.

edgecastcdn.net is a domain used by EdgeCast CDN which is an other company that is part of a network of sites, cookies, and other technologies used to track you, what you do and what you click on, as you go from site to site, surfing the Web. Over time, sites like edgecastcdn.net can help make an online profile of you usually including the sites you visit, your searches, purchases, and other behavior. Your profile can then be exchanged and sold between various companies like edgecastcdn.net as well as being sold to other advertisers and marketers.

My filter doesn't block this on other websites so I wonder if Logos has recently installed this tool to track our movements on its site. I have to click block on every pop up so there's no harm done, it's just annoying.

Posts 26462
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 7 2012 7:43 PM

I just cleaned and monitored my system due to a truly obnoxious trojan that just wouldn't die. I'll admit some of its ploys left me impressed with the coding. But the one your dealing with didn't pop-up so I doubt that it is Logos ... I suspect it is on your machine. I had to use a malware cleanser as my virus protection did not detect the problem. I also had to run the malware cleanser 3 times to get all of the levels removed.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 10177
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 7 2012 8:02 PM

Not too long ago Logos.com and community.logos.com used 3 cookes between them. These days they really load up the cookies for the various marketing services they're using. I have my browser set to clear them all when I close down. Then I leave my cookies/javascript off unless I'm either buying or writing on the forum. It wouldn't surprise me with their consolidation of Faithlife, Logos4 etc, that they'll broaden the monitoring.

But they really don't need to know about me.

About a year ago they were using another tracking company which didn't handle backpaging correctly so that the tracking always showed up as an error. I think they eventually got that fixed.

Posts 8893
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 8 2012 11:49 AM

MJ. Smith:

I just cleaned and monitored my system due to a truly obnoxious trojan that just wouldn't die. I'll admit some of its ploys left me impressed with the coding. But the one your dealing with didn't pop-up so I doubt that it is Logos ... I suspect it is on your machine. I had to use a malware cleanser as my virus protection did not detect the problem. I also had to run the malware cleanser 3 times to get all of the levels removed.

You make me even more happy to be on Mac. Big Smile

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 1889
Donnie Hale | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 8 2012 6:22 PM

If people don't want tracked, there are a couple of strong options that I'm aware of. One is Ghostery. I don't use it, but I continue to read good things about it. What I do use is opendns.com. This lets me block at the DNS resolution level, which is even more effective than blocking at the web site level.

Donnie

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS