Catholic Scholar's Edition v. Original Languages

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
This post has 10 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 466
Butters | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Sep 10 2012 5:49 PM

I am trying to decide between the Catholic Scholar edition and the Original Languages collection.  

I am a reader of classical Greek and trying to move into NT/Koine.  I like the Catholic Scholars, especially for the Aquinas resources - esp. the Latin Summa.  I do wish it had more resources (and in Latin) from St. Augustine.

If I do go with the Catholic Scholars edition, will I be giving up much in terms of Greek NT resources/texts/tools?  

Has anyone been in a similar situation?  What did you choose?  Were/are you happy with your decision?  Would you do anything differently?  

Thanks!

“To love means loving the unlovable.  To forgive means pardoning the unpardonable.  Faith means believing the unbelievable.  Hope means hoping when everything seems hopeless.” ~Chesterton

Posts 10124
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 10 2012 6:45 PM

Mr Micawber ... you'll likely end up replacing much of Original Languages collection ... they're the basics. Especially if you're ok with classic greek. You'll love the Catholic Scholar ... then fill in the greek and latin as needed.

Posts 9966
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 11 2012 12:14 AM

Mr. Micawber:
If I do go with the Catholic Scholars edition, will I be giving up much in terms of Greek NT resources/texts/tools?  

From the package comparison in Excel, this is what you would have in OL but not in CS (note: there may be Catholic Edition equivalents, such as with the RSVs). Only some of it relates to Greek. Imho that's not really much => I own CS.

GOD'S WORD Translation
International Standard Version: New Testament
The NET Bible
New Revised Standard Version
Revised Standard Version
Interlinear Literal Translation of the Greek New Testament, by Thomas Newberry
NASB95 English-Greek Reverse Interlinear
NASB95 English-Hebrew Reverse Interlinear
Archaeological Encyclopedia of the Holy Land
New Testament Synonyms, by Richard Chenevix Trench
Exploring the Basics of the Bible
Exploring the New Testament
Exploring the Old Testament
Synonyms of the Old Testament
Bible Lessons International Collection (17 vols.)
Jesus Christ The Greatest Life
New Testament Studies Collection (7 vols.)
Logos Digital Hymnal
Biblical Foundations for Manhood and Womanhood
Great Doctrines of the Bible (3 vols.)
Exploring Church History
Greek-Hebrew Septuagint Reverse Interlinear
Novum Testamentum Graece, by Constantius Tischendorf (4 vols.)
The Parallel Aligned Hebrew-Aramaic and Greek Texts of Jewish Scripture
The Apocrypha and Pseudepigrapha of the Old Testament in English (2 vols.)
The Context of Scripture (3 vols.)
The Nag Hammadi Library in English, 4th rev. ed.
Beginning Biblical Hebrew, by Mark Futato
An Introduction to Aramaic
A Textual Commentary on the Greek New Testament, by Bruce Metzger

Running Logos 8 latest beta version on Win 10

Posts 244
JC54 | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 11 2012 2:25 AM

do you have a excel sheet which compares more then just the base packages? could you sent it? I would love to be able to compare de base packages with some other things

Posts 9966
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 11 2012 2:49 AM

Johannes Hendrik Menkveld:

do you have a excel sheet which compares more then just the base packages? could you sent it? I would love to be able to compare de base packages with some other things

Mitchell started this around Christmas and I put the infos together into one sheet, which you'll find here: http://community.logos.com/forums/p/42304/317417.aspx#317417 - it has the "classical" base packages, Minimal Crossgrade, the catholic base packages including the Library Builder. You may add other big collections in your own columns if you like.

Note that there are still some smaller oversights contained in that version, and it may be that Logos changed one or two books in the packages in the meantime, so don't use this for any decision, but the official Logos package comparison/product pages.

Posts 466
Butters | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 11 2012 6:42 AM

NB.Mick:

Johannes Hendrik Menkveld:

Mitchell started this around Christmas and I put the infos together into one sheet, which you'll find here: http://community.logos.com/forums/p/42304/317417.aspx#317417 - it has the "classical" base packages, Minimal Crossgrade, the catholic base packages including the Library Builder. You may add other big collections in your own columns if you like.

Note that there are still some smaller oversights contained in that version, and it may be that Logos changed one or two books in the packages in the meantime, so don't use this for any decision, but the official Logos package comparison/product pages.

Wow, that's a great resource.  Logos should put that up as a pdf.  Thanks!  

“To love means loving the unlovable.  To forgive means pardoning the unpardonable.  Faith means believing the unbelievable.  Hope means hoping when everything seems hopeless.” ~Chesterton

Posts 466
Butters | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 11 2012 1:26 PM

I'm definitely leaning towards the Catholic Scholars at this point.  

Just bumping this thread to see if there are any others who might have something to add, advice, etc.  Smile

Posts 466
Butters | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 11 2012 1:28 PM

NB.Mick:

Mr. Micawber:

From the package comparison in Excel, this is what you would have in OL but not in CS (note: there may be Catholic Edition equivalents, such as with the RSVs). Only some of it relates to Greek. Imho that's not really much => I own CS.

Thanks ever so much NB.Mick - that list was really helpful.  I see a few resources in that list I'd like but surely can get them separately.  It seems like there's a great deal more in the Catholic Scholar's library that I truly value and won't get in the OL.  

Posts 9966
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 11 2012 1:45 PM

Mr. Micawber:
Thanks ever so much NB.Mick - that list was really helpful.

I'm glad to hear that!

Posts 117
Dennis Parish | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 12 2012 9:35 AM

I bought the Original Languages then later upgraded to the Catholic Scholars as the least expensive way to cover the areas of my interests. Logos sometimes has sales on upgrades.

Posts 466
Butters | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 12 2012 10:58 AM

Dennis Parish:

I bought the Original Languages then later upgraded to the Catholic Scholars as the least expensive way to cover the areas of my interests. Logos sometimes has sales on upgrades.

Well that's an interesting idea.  If you don't mind how much was the upgrade when you did so?  

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS