Logos A4 UI - Doesn't Match PC Version

Page 2 of 3 (57 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 56 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 10837
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 29 2009 5:59 AM

Joe Miller:
with the power of multiple desktops (here I have Safari and Mail on Desktop 1, Logos 4 on Desktop 2 and Logos 1.2.2 on Desktop 3 and 4 is open.

Wow! With enough desktops, I can bring back memories of my first Mac with its 9" screen Big Smile When I got my first 12" I felt like I had moved up into the mansion district. Now, I can't make it without dual 23" monitors. How easily we become spoiled. Cool

Posts 347
Mitch Davis | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 29 2009 6:50 AM

Joe Miller:

If mac users could organize types of books, collections or selected windows and place them by default on various desktops, that would be like having multiple monitors while using only one.

ALERT AGAIN <Windows user #2>

Joe,

Can I actually see multiple desktops at the same time (full sized) while using one monitor? If a Mac can pull that off I would buy and use one, too! Big Smile

Posts 10837
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 29 2009 10:42 AM

Mitch Davis:
Can I actually see multiple desktops at the same time (full sized) while using one monitor? If a Mac can pull that off I would buy and use one, too! Big Smile

Mitch

Joe will probably give you a more complete answer. Until then, I will give you a condensed version. You can set up multiple desktops and see them all at once as in Joe's screen shot, but you only work in one at a time. All the others are still there working in the background, and you can switch instantly between them. That feature is called Spaces.

Posts 347
Mitch Davis | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 29 2009 1:37 PM

JackCaviness:
That feature is called Spaces.

Hi Jack,

Although not a Mac user I am somewhat familiar with the Mac interface (play with it from time to time) and familiar with Spaces (what is the equivalent name in Ubuntu? I was wanting to have fun with Joe.

Posts 2793
J.R. Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 29 2009 11:06 PM

Robert Pavich:

Joe,

don't you know it's wrong to cause a weaker brother to covet?Tongue Tied

Than I shall pray you find strength my brother. :-)

My Books in Logos & FREE Training

Posts 2793
J.R. Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 29 2009 11:09 PM

Mitch Davis:

JackCaviness:
That feature is called Spaces.

Hi Jack,

Although not a Mac user I am somewhat familiar with the Mac interface (play with it from time to time) and familiar with Spaces (what is the equivalent name in Ubuntu? I was wanting to have fun with Joe.

Jack's answer was right.  Multiple "desktops" does not replace a multi-monitor setup, but it sure is cheaper :-)

And I appreciate the fun at the expense of an innocent Mac user like me :-)

Posts 102
Jeromy Waunch | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 29 2009 11:53 PM

While I really enjoy Logos 3... I agree with Mike and have been wishing for this for a while.  Having an option for the text to be displayed like a book rather than scrolling would be amazing! I'm really glad you took this approach with the iPhone app.

Posts 10837
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 30 2009 3:01 AM

JeromyWaunch:
 Having an option for the text to be displayed like a book rather than scrolling would be amazing!

Several people have made similar comments on many different threads in these forums, but I honestly don't see that much difference. If I want to turn a page, I pick up a real book. I would rather Logos put the development time and cost into something much more useful.

Posts 55
Scott Criswell | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 19 2010 9:15 PM

Bob Pritchett:

We're very interested in your thoughts on this subject.

Our goal on Windows is to follow usability guidelines where it makes sense (we follow many Windows guidelines, from standard keystrokes and mouse behavior to capitalization), while still doing what's right for our app. (Which is just what Microsoft (and Apple) does -- after publishing "do it this way" guidelines, they feel free to modify Office or any other app to be right for that app.

On the Mac we need more direction. We understand that Mac users can be, um, enthusiastic... about "the Mac way". So our present plan is to use our basic application framework -- and our windowing system -- while adopting Mac standard controls and patterns wherever possible. But I share your concern that putting a bright blue scrollbar in 6 tiles could be overwhelming and get in the way of the content.

Apple seems to "break the rules" whenever it suits their needs, and we're willing to as well. We'd love to hear your thoughts and when and where we should.

Mr. Pritchett,

I've finally had some time to design a UI comp of what I would like to see in the mac version of Logos 4. Without changing the functionality set from the windows version I've set out to maintain a family resemblance to the existing windows client while making the application feel more at home on the mac platform. This is just a first draft and it does not detail all the areas of the UI but I believe its a nice start. If you like this at all I'd be willing to add additional screens to this post.

The main goal was to make the application more mac friendly. in order to accomplish this I've started by reversing the general layout of the content tabs and the main UI bar in order to maintain the mac osx UI metaphor for closing windows (close button on the left, not the right). I've also addressed some issues relating to UI contrast and general affordability. I'm a UI designer by trade and VERY interested in helping Logos in anyway I can. I hope this proves helpful.

"Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart
be acceptable in your sight, O Lord, my rock and my redeemer."

- Psalm 19:14

Posts 102
Andrew Mercer | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 19 2010 10:25 PM

Scott,

I like your thoughts and appreciate the time and effort that you put into this, it certainly does come across "mac like"

Posts 55
Scott Criswell | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 19 2010 10:33 PM

Andrew Mercer:

Scott,

I like your thoughts and appreciate the time and effort that you put into this, it certainly does come across "mac like"

Thanks Andrew. Blessings.

Posts 1861
LogosEmployee
Tom Philpot (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 19 2010 10:33 PM

Scott,

You know we're hiring, right? http://www.logos.com/jobs. Imagine getting paid to work on the Logos Mac interface. :)

Mobile Development Team Lead

Posts 55
Scott Criswell | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 19 2010 10:55 PM

To be honest it would be a dream job... I haven't applied just yet. I was hoping that these comps would give me some insight into weather or not my skill set was a match for Logos.

I would love to apply my skill set in a company focused on ministry. I can't think of a better opportunity.

Posts 2793
J.R. Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 19 2010 11:03 PM

Scott, here is the working link with job requirements

http://www.logos.com/jobs#mac

Posts 1956
Donovan R. Palmer | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 19 2010 11:15 PM

Scott Criswell:
The main goal was to make the application more mac friendly. in order to accomplish this I've started by reversing the general layout of the content tabs and the main UI bar in order to maintain the mac osx UI metaphor for closing windows (close button on the left, not the right). I've also addressed some issues relating to UI contrast and general affordability. I'm a UI designer by trade and VERY interested in helping Logos in anyway I can. I hope this proves helpful.

My initial reaction is that I really liked this!

Posts 55
Scott Criswell | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 19 2010 11:20 PM

Donovan R. Palmer:

My initial reaction is that I really liked this!

Thank you Donovan. I'm glad you like it.

Posts 55
Scott Criswell | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 19 2010 11:45 PM

Joe Miller:

Scott, here is the working link with job requirements

http://www.logos.com/jobs#mac

My main concern is that my skill set is right in between this position, the graphic design position, & the web development position. My career focus and passion is in UI and user experience design. By this I mean I spend most of my time designing UI and UX software workflows. This is usually (at least in my experience) a development position even though it does not deal directly with writing code on a day-to-day basis.

I do have an extensive background in CSS & HTML front end development sprinkled with a hint of JQuery for flavor. :)

I don't write Objective-C, or C#, but I've worked in both .net and cocoa environments and understand the strength and weaknesses of both from a developers perspective when relating to UI. In any case I normally work with the development team and project management.

Just not sure which job to apply for... More specifically, I'm not sure what position(s)/department(s) Logos would expect to use my skill set. Once I figure that out I'm going to apply. I'm leaning towards the graphic design position, since that's the closest match.

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 20 2010 12:36 AM

A major UI difference between Apple and Microsoft is Apple's Menu Bar - always present - application name next to Apple Logo with Help on far right.  Logos 4 Files, Guides, Tools, and Layouts could become menu items.  Possibility: support many layouts open at same time - Spaces has default of 4 desktops.  Many Logos 4 layouts would be good reason for increasing Spaces desktops (e.g. 3 x 3 grid for 9 desktops).

Apple's Preview application includes Inspector pop-up tool:

Apple's Numbers 09 has several interesting UI features, including oval translucent button in upper right corner to expand/collapse "ribbon bar" equivalent:

Styles has point and click color and font changes - could become Logos 4 option.

View menu has several customization options, including toolbar - can drag and drop toolbar elements into desired arrangement (e.g. layout, shortcuts, command, file, guides, tools, home, library, search).  Personally would appreciate toolbar size choice for Home, Library, and Search icons.

View pop-up menu (subset of Apple menu bar)  has option to show or hide comments (yellow sticky notes - can be moved and size changed):

By the way, on dual monitor setup, Apple Menu spans top of one monitor (option to choose which monitor).

Observation about Logos 4 default layout on Windows - 1st line of readable resource information is 5 to 6 lines down from top of window (feels cluttered).  Using Logos 4 for Windows, reading Bible in year - Passage Guide showed Pulpit Commentary - clicking Commentary opened new tab and overlaid bible text (wish tab had opened next to Passage Guide instead of next to bible text):

Firefox and Safari include close buttons on tabs - Safari's shows up when mouse moves over tab.

Logos 4 non-intuitive how to close resource tab (turns out to be book cover drop down option, which can be away from tab title), yet has + for adding resource in empty tab space.

Several observations: Microsoft version changes in Operating Systems and Office usually include substantial User Interface changes with associated learning/training opportunities (and initial productivity loss).  In contrast, Apple logo in upper right corner has been in same place since original 128k Mac (albeit with different colors over time).  On a Mac, try to use easiest way to accomplish task.  On Microsoft, wonder what additional step(s) needed - harkens back to Apple suing Microsoft about cloning Apple's Look & Feel many years ago.  On Microsoft, do like being able to resize a window by dragging any side along with options to minimize ribbon bar and hide task bar.  Apple's original convention of using lower right corner to resize still in use (Microsoft still including dimples in lower right corner).  Apple has moved window resize and close buttons from right side of Title bar to left.

By the way, looking at UI mock-up, noticed in lower right area: John 1 location repeated 3 times (within text itself and in 2 toolbars above text).

Wish Bible Text view had some options:

1) Show/Hide Chapter numbers.

2) Show/Hide Verse numbers

3) Show/Hide cross references

4) Show/Hide footnotes.

Logos 4 UI wishes:

* Large or small resource cover icon size

* Ability to collapse 2 lines into 1 (especially if only 1 tab open)

Keep Smiling :)

Posts 45
WAM Project | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 20 2010 12:51 AM

I'd like to see the Mac version use the Cambria Font like the Windows version. That’s is my Only UI complaint.... But this is an alpha and they haven't finished the pref pane yet so....

Posts 45
WAM Project | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 20 2010 1:37 AM

I will add, making it mac like would be nice. LOL. But I understand the goal of making it common across platforms. So long as when we are done with the pre-release product it is fast and Nimble, I can live...

I am loving the features of the windows version and look forward to them making it into the mac app.

I am able to complete study SOOOO fast now.... I can finally minimize the app to a half screen workflow. Though I have multiple monitors, I tend to have safari up and Pages/Word up for posting and compiling... so having the windows side by side by side and not loosing readability is great... Hurry up and get those prefs so I can change my font ASAP. LOL.

Soon as they add the windows interlinear functionality I can use the mac version 70% of the time instead of the 30% I use it now.

Page 2 of 3 (57 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next > | RSS