Theology/Denomination Tags

Page 11 of 22 (432 items) « First ... < Previous 9 10 11 12 13 Next > ... Last »
This post has 431 Replies | 26 Followers

Posts 643
Sleiman | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 16 2013 8:54 PM

Lynden Williams:

Thanks Sleiman. How do I get them in my collections?

Click on the Documents tab where  you will see the list of shared collections with the group. Hover your mouse over the collection, press the blue 'Actions' drop-down button and select 'Copy'. Now (as if by magic) you should have it in your collections list. If you don't see it right away, wait a few minutes or try to update by pressing the rotating arrows on the top right side in your Logos.

By the way anyone can share their collections to the group. You can do this by clicking on 'Manage your Logos documents':

Now sort by type by clicking on the word Type at the top of the list. Of those documents whose type is 'Resource Collection' you can hover over that row and press the blue 'Action' drop-down button that shows up and select 'Publish'. Then select the faithlife group you want to publish to. That's it; now all the other group members can see and copy the collection you've just shared.

"Grace is not part of consciousness; it is the amount of light in our souls, not knowledge nor reason." Pope Francis I

Posts 4758
Forum MVP
Lynden Williams | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 16 2013 8:56 PM

Guess it over wrote what was already there. Thanks.

Everything ever written or spoken in Religion, formatted for Logos Bible Software. Logos Youtube Channel

Posts 464
Andrew Baguley | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 27 2013 9:35 AM

Randy W. Sims (Shayne):

Andrew Baguley:
I'd welcome a macro from anyone that is able to populate the Logos rules tab

I worked out a rough draft this evening. ...

Randy and I have been working for a few days now on the best way to convert the data from a spreadsheet, which is relatively easy to manage, into rules that can be copied and pasted into Logos to create collections, while trying to make it as transparent as possible.

Randy has done a fantastic job of coding this for us, so it now updates all the rules every time a macro is run.  I've amended the data a bit, including a few amendments to what makes a denomination (roughly a subcategory in the spreadsheet), and what makes a Denomination Stream (roughly a category on the spreadsheet).  The spreadsheet is now too big to post to the forums without zipping it first, so there is a zipped copy below.

Please note that there is no need for anyone to run the macros unless they are editing their own data.  Feel free to leave macros disabled as you open the spreadsheet, or to play with the macro if you think it might be fun.  It is guaranteed virus-free, but if you leave the macros disabled, then you don't have to worry about what the macro does.

The data is far from perfect, and I intend working on this over the next few weeks.  Please post suggestions, amendments and corrections here.

To use the rules, simply go to the relevant cell on the Logos Rules tab in the spreadsheet (e.g. B9 for Anabaptists, C46 for American Baptist Churches USA) and copy the cell to the "Start with Resources Matching:" line on the Collections tab in Logos.  The sub-rules are simply there for transparency and can be ignored.  To see what's in a cell for long lists, copy the contents to a word processing programme and examine the contents there.

Alternatively, see my next post below for an even easier way to get the collections into Logos.

2235.Denominations and Theology.zip

Posts 464
Andrew Baguley | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 27 2013 9:46 AM

Sleiman:

Bruce Dunning:

Sleiman:

Andrew et al... since collections can now be shared as documents (seems to be at least) would it not be ideal that a faithlife group be created to share these as collections?

Sounds like a great idea.

Ok then... here it is as a test: https://faithlife.com/logos-library-theology-denomination-tags

I have shared a few of my created collections according to the collection rules in this thread as a test. Join the group to see and share yours. Maybe it's best if there is a master copy that gets updated. 

Thanks, Sleiman.  I hadn't looked at the possibility of sharing the collections directly within Logos before.  This is definitely the easiest way for them to be shared.

I'm not sure how we deal with quality control, etc. though, so to try to keep it consistent, I'm happy to manage collections based on the data in the spreadsheet above.  Clearly, others can still copy their own collections there, but it might get a bit messy if it's not limited to just Denominations and Theologies.  Perhaps there could be other groups for other types of collections.

To make it as easy as possible to use the rules generated previously, I have copied most of them to the group you created at: https://faithlife.com/logos-library-theology-denomination-tags/documents

The ones I have created all start with the word Denomination, Theology, or Denom. Stream.  I hope this is self-explanatory.  Note that you do not need to take personal copies of all of them, but you can choose the ones you want.  After taking a copy, you can edit them as you see fit within Logos, and you can delete them from your own copy of Logos if you decide you no longer need them.

Please let me know what you think.

Posts 643
Sleiman | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 27 2013 5:13 PM

Andrew Baguley:
I'm not sure how we deal with quality control, etc. though, so to try to keep it consistent, I'm happy to manage collections based on the data in the spreadsheet above.  Clearly, others can still copy their own collections there, but it might get a bit messy if it's not limited to just Denominations and Theologies.  Perhaps there could be other groups for other types of collections.
I agree. I have edited the group settings of the faithlife group by limiting document posting to admins/moderators. I demoted myself to member and promoted you and Randy to admins (hope you don't mind), this way you control the updates of the collections to match the rules as they are updated. Thank you for that! Please feel free to delete collections that were posted before as they may be redundant/irrelevant now or as you see fit.

Andrew Baguley:
Please let me know what you think.
This is a great example of the usefulness of faithlife groups and community effort. I love it.Smile

"Grace is not part of consciousness; it is the amount of light in our souls, not knowledge nor reason." Pope Francis I

Posts 1008
Randy W. Sims | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 27 2013 8:39 PM

Sleiman:
I...promoted you and Randy to admins

I appreciate that, but this is wholly Andrew's project. He's done all the work of gathering the data, validating it, and putting it into the spreadsheet posted. I only wrote a little code to hopefully help him in his work. Andrew should be the sole administrator.

Dell XPS 8300: Core i7; 12GB RAM; AMD Radeon 6870 (Dual Monitor); Win 8.1 Pro x64 (Rebuilding)
Samsung ATIV Smart PC Pro 700T: Core i5; 4GB RAM; Win 8.1 Pro x64
ASUS Nexus 7 | Samsung GALAXY S5

Posts 1864
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 1 2013 2:37 PM

This thread was a bear to find.

Joining the group :)

Also with all of the up to date rules, there are still 115 resources in my library that are not yet in a denominational collection. Much of it looks like journals.

I posted some of the titles on the group. Just thought this would maybe get more visibility.

iPad 3, iPhone 5, Octo-core pc with 16gb of ddr3. Bibliolater. Abondservant.com

Posts 1864
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 1 2013 3:12 PM

Did my best to eliminate personal books and so forth, though I am sure SOME of them still are. Also there are a number of resources that come up that are tied to features; particularly timeline of "blah blah blah". So those were excluded manually as well.

Finally: Wilkinson, J. Gardner

Would have just posted these on the group, but it seems one cannot post pictures there.

Edit: Further narrowed down the list.

Posts 4625
Forum MVP
Milford Charles Murray | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 1 2013 4:27 PM

That's a wonderful incredibly labourous labour of love for you to do on our behalf, Dear Brother!         *smile*          Thank you very much!

May the Peace and Joy God gives us in Jesus pervade your life and overflow to all those in contact with you!       *smile*

Philippians 4:  4 Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice. 5 Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand..........

Posts 4625
Forum MVP
Milford Charles Murray | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 1 2013 5:10 PM

Important!                             This thread provides the means for stupendous power using Logos 5 collections...

I'm just wondering how to communicate to others the tremendous power available to them in organising and using their Logos Library.

Maybe it's just like sharing the Gospel, eh?      One at a time, I guess!               Each one reach one, I guess!

But it is so sad for so much power to go to waste for those having large libraries and not effectively using their collections ...

Dave Hooton and others have done a superb job with the Wiki; however to use the denominational tags as part of the "Wiki Training" is not likely the wisest option...

Users need to know the "basics" before they can work at the "advanced"!

http://wiki.logos.com/Collections             is what we have now; and -- frankly -- I'm sorry that I don't really have any great ideas ...

However, it "blows my mind" at the power of the Logos Dynamic Collection System, and I am sincerely grateful!        *smile*

Peace to all!

Philippians 4:  4 Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice. 5 Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand..........

Posts 4034
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 1 2013 5:35 PM

Milford Charles Murray:

This thread provides the means for stupendous power using Logos 5 collections...

I'm just wondering how to communicate to others the tremendous power available to them in organising and using their Logos Library.

Maybe it's just like sharing the Gospel, eh?      One at a time, I guess!               Each one reach one, I guess!

Indeed collections are a tremendous tool to help us maximize our libraries. You post made me wonder how many people who own Logos have taken advantage of this.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 1864
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 1 2013 6:57 PM

Indeed this has been a help :)

Ida Hahn Hahn as it turns out is Roman Catholic:
http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/The_American_Cyclop%C3%A6dia_%281879%29/Hahn-Hahn,_Ida_Marie_Luise_Sophie_Friederike_Gustave

The Morgan, G. Campbell title doesn't come up when I do an Author:"Morgan, G. Campbell" Search. But it seems he was ordained congregational.

Institute of Biblical Research abides by the IVP statement of faith, and was founded by E. Earle Ellis who as it happens is southern baptist. So fairly or not I lumped IBR Journal into the southern baptist category.

The Journal of the grace Evangelical theological Society is an enigma. At first I thought Grace Brethren, but now I'm not sure. Only thing I've turned up is that they are in the free grace camp, but their affiliated churches are baptist, e-free, and others. Maybe just lump them in with evangelicals?

This brings me down to 51 resources not currently in a denominational or theological collection.

Posts 1864
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 2 2013 9:49 AM

Icenogle, Gareth Weldon is presbyterian: http://www.ivpress.com/cgi-ivpress/author.pl/author_id=384

Preston, Gary D. Is one of the pastors of Rock Creek Church Which according to the yellow pages is some type of baptist.

Posts 144
Johannes Hendrik Menkveld | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 2 2013 1:01 PM

I love these collections. However my Library still counts around 1000 books witthout collection (not counting PB, Ebooks and perseus).

Could I do something wrong? I did download all the collections.

Posts 4625
Forum MVP
Milford Charles Murray | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 2 2013 1:39 PM

Peace, Johannes!                    I, also, with over 8,000 resources have a large number without collection. I think I'm going to have to take a good, long, hard look at the situation and examine my situation for possibilities.

Are there any FaithLife Groups dedicated to this kind of study???

Posts 1864
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 2 2013 2:33 PM

Milford, I simply made a collection that included everything in my library, and then excluded everything already in a theological or denominational collection.

There are two groups I found tied to tagging, but even with their updated tags I still have these (48 now) titles un-colected.

Also in a slightly creepy internet/small world moment, in googling several of the listed authors; while I could not find their denominational affiliation, I was able to find their phone number, and home address (unintentionally). Perhaps I should give these gentleman a phone call and ask?

Posts 4625
Forum MVP
Milford Charles Murray | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 2 2013 2:39 PM

Thanks!        *smile*               I'm going to be working hard and trying to use my brain in this area in the near future ...     I'm sure there will be a pay-off for making such an effort, eh???

To use my library more efficiently would be the greatest "pay-off"!               !!!

Posts 14342
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 2 2013 3:01 PM

Johannes Hendrik Menkveld:
However my Library still counts around 1000 books witthout collection (not counting PB, Ebooks and perseus).

Mine is a little higher: Some are variations in names but many are outright omissions. I used a base of edition:Logos AND type:=("Bible Notes","Bible Commentary",Monograph) AND rating:<6 ANDNOT publisher:Perseus. Using the "Denomination" tags I have 1816 unclassified including many early church fathers. Using the "Denom. Stream" tags I have 1469 unclassified including Benedict XVISmile Subtracting out both the  "Denom. Stream" and "Denomination" leaves 958 so clearly the two sets have differences.

Logos4catholics Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 1864
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 2 2013 3:43 PM

I used both as well to end up with the 40 odd books that remain. Also - I too excluded Perseus. I forgot to mention that little tid bit.

Of course, my library is considerably smaller. L5 Platinum plus a few K books.

Perhaps it would be a good idea to consolidate the rules. Maybe if it were the beginning of summer and I had more free time I would take this on my self.

I know the rules in this thread are good - every name added to the list was checked to ensure accuracy. I don't know about the other threads. I also have not yet tagged all my resources. Perhaps one day.

Posts 14342
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 2 2013 3:58 PM

Why isn't Witherington, Ben, III classified as a United Methodist? He's ordained as one and teaches at a seminary approved for ...

Westminster Assembly belongs to Anglican and Presbyterian (Church of Scotland) groups.

John Mason Neale is Anglican where he appears as J.M. but not John Mason"

John Peter Lange is Calvinist/German Protestant.

Hmmm ... John Calvin appears in my unclassified groupCool In my ignorance I've made a Denom. Stream collection with Lange and Calvin.

Philip Bence is Wesleyian, as is Clarence Bence, I believe.

Robert G. Bratcher is Southern Baptist

F. E. Brightman is Anglican

Francis de Sales is Catholic

That gets 80+ additional books classified.

Logos4catholics Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Page 11 of 22 (432 items) « First ... < Previous 9 10 11 12 13 Next > ... Last » | RSS