Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
This post has 4 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 76
Ryan Burns | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Sep 17 2012 6:45 AM

This is an iPad specific question

I stink at geography. So, when I'm reading the OT and come across a location, I often want to see it on a map. However, I have a difficult time "easily" pulling up a useful map in all my resources. Just wondering if anyone has a "best practices" or easy way to quickly search and pull up an appropriate map out of my resources whenever I want to see where a place is on a map.

Helping people find seminary scholarships and church jobs.

Posts 1680
Jerry M | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 17 2012 2:23 PM

Hi Ryan, this is a difficult situation right now.  For one thing Logos Deluxe Maps aren't working correctly on the iPad.  There doesn't seem to be a foolproof way to gain easy access to a particular map right now.  The iPad app is a work in progress.  What I do is use the ESV Study Bible maps.  All I have to do is type map into the search window and the ESV Study Bible Maps is the first result or I can scroll across the resource to the end of the book where the maps are by the scroll bar at the bottom.  Then I have to manually flip to the one I want to open and then double tap it and it opens full screen.  Of course if you don't already own this resource I am not suggesting you buy it just for this.  If anyone knows a good search syntax to use to navigate to a geographical location I would like to know it also.

The place to start would be to have a collection of Atlas on the desktop.  This collection will sync to the iPad app and help narrow down a search.  The Holman Bible Atlas has some good maps, if you have that resource.

"For the kingdom of God does not consist in words but in power"      Wiki Table of Contents

Posts 5615
Todd Phillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 17 2012 3:12 PM

Ryan Burns:
Just wondering if anyone has a "best practices" or easy way to quickly search and pull up an appropriate map out of my resources whenever I want to see where a place is on a map.

I keep links to a few maps that I refer to regularly in my favorites, and I can easily access those on the iPad:

As you can see I have a folder called "Handy Maps" in my favorites, and in there, I have links to several maps in the NET Bible Notes resource.  They look good on the iPad.  I like that it resizes them to the screen and I don't have to scroll.  I also have links to Biblical Places maps in that folder, but they don't even show up on the iPad.

Wiki Links: Enabling Logging / Detailed Search Help - MacBook Pro (2014), ThinkPad E570

Posts 76
Ryan Burns | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 18 2012 6:21 AM

Thanks Jerry & Todd. I like the idea of finding my useful maps and adding them to a favorites folder. That should work for now. Ideally, a search would be best... but... oh well.

Helping people find seminary scholarships and church jobs.

Posts 1680
Jerry M | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 18 2012 9:33 AM

One further suggestion on this topic.  Try creating a collection with just one, two or three resources known for their good maps.  I have a collection called "any book I want", to which I added the ESV Study Bible and the Holman Bible Atlas.  (It seems it takes longer to sync a new collection).  Then whenever I search, I limit it to just this collection and add the following syntax just like I would on the desktop.  Jerusalem, #image  (or whatever geographical location)  This seems to work pretty good.  Hint: sometimes you have to swipe to the following page, when opening a search result to obtain the map.

"For the kingdom of God does not consist in words but in power"      Wiki Table of Contents

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS