Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
This post has 4 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 4768
RIP
Fred Chapman | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Sep 20 2012 8:00 AM

On a few occassions I can recall Beta's that cause immediate crashes and even render Logos inoperable. Without getting into the argument of whether or not a problem should or should not have been caught prior to release, I will say that Logos makes it pretty clear that running Beta's are a risk.

Most of the time that is not the case and the bugs and crashes discovered after the release can be worked around. But because they can be risky, I have made it a practice to always have a working copy of Logos on another computer. I also back up a working copy to an external hard drive. There have been couple of times when I have had to use that back-up.

I would advise everyone to take steps to insure they have a working copy (either on another machine, or backed up) in the event you need it. If you find yourself dead in the water after a Beta release, there is no one to blame but yourself.

Posts 2089
Randy W. Sims | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 20 2012 8:27 AM

I'm new to Logos so I haven't ventured into the Betas yet, but I have beta tested software before. I just wanted to say that I appreciate all the beta testers and what that do to help make Logos better for all of us. I know the risks and frustrations of testing betas--a lot of risk and very little reward.

Thank you!

Posts 5317
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 20 2012 1:20 PM

Fredc:
Most of the time that is not the case and the bugs and crashes discovered after the release can be worked around. But because they can be risky, I have made it a practice to always have a working copy of Logos on another computer. I also back up a working copy to an external hard drive. There have been couple of times when I have had to use that back-up.

That didn;t work for me, restoring my files left me with the machine still telling me I am only able to use the latest beta.

-Dan

Posts 3810
spitzerpl | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 20 2012 1:40 PM
Fredc:

On a few occassions I can recall Beta's that cause immediate crashes and even render Logos inoperable. Without getting into the argument of whether or not a problem should or should not have been caught prior to release, I will say that Logos makes it pretty clear that running Beta's are a risk.

I would advise everyone to take steps to insure they have a working copy (either on another machine, or backed up) in the event you need it. If you find yourself dead in the water after a Beta release, there is no one to blame but yourself.

Thumbs up! Sorry. No access to the emoticons.....
Posts 26532
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 21 2012 8:27 PM

Dan Francis:

Fredc:
...There have been couple of times when I have had to use that back-up.

That didn;t work for me, restoring my files left me with the machine still telling me I am only able to use the latest beta.

If the backup belongs to a previous version you can't simply copy the files across because the system still knows that the latest beta was installed. With a beta it is best to wait for the next update OR completely uninstall and then reinstall the current release (non-beta!) from the web; a backup means that you can use a quick install method.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS