4.6a Beta 2 (4.61.0.3185) shipping soon

Page 2 of 2 (37 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 36 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 1646
SteveF | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 21 2012 10:19 AM

Warning: these ARE "messy" Word docx's with actual full size presentations. They contain different font sizes and other anomalies. Yet they are "real life."

[But even with that proviso] I do not know whether the compiler is or is not handling them correctly. However if you can show me that it is MY formatting of these Word docx I will try to learn and to improve in that area. For example in the "dresden" part of the document I have include the line "Bible REading" as a Level2 Heading, BUT it has NEVER shown up in my Table of Contents.

There are two "sermons" in this docx.

5270.Dreden plus esther.zip

There are two more in this docx.

3482.labour day and induction.zip

But when I load them both by means of the "add file" I get the following problem

SteveF:
Some hyperlinks are not "live" while others are listed in the index with the "wrong" choice of sermon. I am not sure what is going

Regards, SteveF

Posts 2063
Randy W. Sims | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 21 2012 10:31 AM

If you move the tables to immediately after the heading, it works. The heading directly above the table becomes the link in the index. 

Posts 2063
Randy W. Sims | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 21 2012 10:40 AM

Well, maybe not even immediately after. Both of the below work. But it doesn't work if the table is before the heading. 

40th Anniversary of “Sunday Evening in the Park”

Sponsored by the Dresden and District Christian Ministerial Association
Sunday Evening, July 29, 2012, 7:00 p.m.

<Insert Table Here>

------------- OR -------------

40th Anniversary of “Sunday Evening in the Park”

<Insert Table Here> 

Sponsored by the Dresden and District Christian Ministerial Association
Sunday Evening, July 29, 2012, 7:00 p.m.

Posts 1646
SteveF | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 21 2012 10:43 AM

Randy W. Sims (Shayne):
If you move the tables to immediately after the heading, it works. The heading directly above the table becomes the link in the index. 

THANK YOU!

Regards, SteveF

Posts 406
Fred Greco | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 21 2012 10:43 AM

Is there a step by step guide of how to format and create a sermon file? I tried looking in the Wiki but could not find one. I did not use the Sermon File Addin in Logos 3, but think I might use it in Logos 4.

Thanks in advance!

Fred Greco
Senior Pastor, Christ Church PCA, Katy, TX
Windows 10 64-bit; Logos 7.1 SR-2 (Reformed Platinum)

Posts 1646
SteveF | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 21 2012 10:55 AM

Randy W. Sims (Shayne):
Well, maybe not even immediately after. Both of the below work. But it doesn't work if the table is before the heading. 

This solved EVERY other issue!

Multiple single documents now also work correctly.

Is this instruction as to where the table goes "intuitive" or has it been provided someplace? [EDIT: Found it in the Release Notes - Thanks folks!]

Regards, SteveF

Posts 2063
Randy W. Sims | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 21 2012 10:55 AM

Fred Greco:
Is there a step by step guide of how to format and create a sermon file? I tried looking in the Wiki but could not find one. I did not use the Sermon File Addin in Logos 3, but think I might use it in Logos 4.

SteveF:
Is this instruction as to where the table goes "intuitive" or has it been provided someplace?

lol. Not yet, or if there is I'm gonna feel really dumb.

We're still experimenting with the format to figure out what works as we go. You can look back in this thread for some sample files (single file & multi-file) that might give a place to start. The main idea seems to be to create a heading, doesn't matter what level heading (eg Heading 1, Heading 3, etc), followed by a table that uses the format specified in the Release Notes linked to in the first article in this thread. Beyond that you can use heading above the level of the sermon your indexing to catagorize your sermons and you can have sub-headings within the sermon you're indexing.

Sorry, that's still a bit of hunting and gathering and a bit vague. Hopefully, someone will write this up or I might try to do a better job of it sometime this weekend.

Posts 1646
SteveF | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 21 2012 11:07 AM

Fred Greco:
Is there a step by step guide of how to format and create a sermon file?

In Logos 4 these are now created from within the TOOLS/Library/Personal Books

It has to be a docx file.

Some suggest trying to stick closely to the Logos "default" fonts [ie. One poster suggested New Times Romasn and 14 pts] 

If you want to create a Table of Contents (TOC) it is necessary to use the Word "Heading" styles AND to make sure that each heading is "alone" on each line (ie the whole line must be in that Heading Style).

For consistency in the TOC it has also been suggested that Heading 1 ALWAYS be reserved for TITLE of your documents.

The above would also be the case for creating a Personal Book.

The syntax that will create the all-important index for a "sermon file" is the this table from the latest beta.

Sermon File Type

Sermon

Passages

Gen 1:1John 3:16

Topics

Creation; Love

Tags

Examples; Testing

Speaker

John G. Smith

Venue

There

Date

September 28, 2000

That Indexing material will ppear at the bottom of the completed resource file.

·         Implemented syntax for Sermons and Illustrations. When this syntax is added, the compiler will automatically generate indices at the end of the book by date, topic, passage, and tags.

·         Fields are added via a table format, where the top-left cell contains ‘Sermon File Type’.

These were the provided helps :

·         The metadata should be added after the title of the relevant sermon or illustration.  [THIS IS WHAT i HAD OVERLOOKED]

·         Except for the ‘Sermon File Type’ which is required for the first row, the other metadata lines can be added as desired in any order.

·         The field types are:

·         Sermon File Type: ‘Sermon’ or ‘Illustration’ (Note: the compiler will only recognize one type, the type in the first table, per book.)

·         Passages: Standard Bible reference formats. Accepts multiple values separated by a semicolon.

·         Topics: Accepts multiple values separated by a semicolon. (Topics for sermons should show up in the ‘Topics’ section of the Passage Guide. Topics for Illustrations should show up in the ‘Illustrations’ section of the Passage Guide.)

·         Tags: Accepts multiple values separated by a semicolon.

·         Speaker: Accepts multiple values separated by a semicolon.

·         Venue: Accepts multiple values separated by a semicolon.

·         Date: Accepts multiple values separated by a semicolon. (The compiler will attempt to parse the date.)

Perhaps other can contribute further information?

Regards, SteveF

Posts 2063
Randy W. Sims | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 21 2012 11:11 AM

BTW, what is the "Journal" PBB type listed in the wiki? Personal journal or magazine journal? I don't find any info.

Seems like these sermon files would be good for keeping a bible study journal. I like the idea of a journal with tags, passages, date indexed, etc. What does Notes offer that is better?

Posts 205
Jeffrey S. Robison | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 21 2012 11:15 AM

alabama24:

Jeffrey S. Robison:
Can we now download Personal Books to the mobile devices?

No.

Do you think we will be able to in the future. It could be implemented through iTunes instead of Logos' servers... just thinking out loud with my fingers.

Posts 27959
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 21 2012 11:29 AM

Jeffrey S. Robison:
Do you think we will be able to in the future

Bob has said yes, but it is technically challenging. I would not look for Personal Books on mobile before they sync between computers.

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 1646
SteveF | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 21 2012 11:31 AM

Randy W. Sims (Shayne):

Seems like these sermon files would be good for keeping a bible study journal. I like the idea of a journal with tags, passages, date indexed, etc. What does Notes offer that is better?

I too like your "bible study journal" suggestion. As to yuour question about "Notes" I am tempted to say that it offers "nothing" as I have not found them that helpful. Others here strongly differ. [But "Bob" has said Notes are merely for "jotting" down a quick comment here or there.] BUT because there are many other "entire" threads devoted to that debate I would rather we not "bury" this new Sermon File Index in a "notes" debate.

As to your other question: I do not remember what "journal" specifically refers to, sorry.

Regards, SteveF

Posts 1646
SteveF | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 21 2012 11:37 AM

Fred Greco:
Is there a step by step guide of how to format and create a sermon file?

Fred if you load the "help" file [found under the "?"] and type in "Personal Books' [without the quotes] it will provide a list of helpful suggestions.

I realize that it is not "really" what you are asking for.

Regards, SteveF

Posts 169
Eleanor Emmott | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 23 2012 8:15 PM

Randy W. Sims (Shayne):

BTW, what is the "Journal" PBB type listed in the wiki? Personal journal or magazine journal? I don't find any info.

I believe that the book type listed in the wiki refers to a scholarly or magazine type journal.  Depending on what books you have in your library, you may be able to see some examples if you search for "type:journal" in the library pane.

Of course, that doesn't mean that you cannot use that tag to refer to a personal journal!

In fact at the moment I use the Journal tags for personal books that include collections of articles, essays, sermons, poetry, etc.

But now, with the new sermon options, perhaps Logos could add an official type for Sermon Collections!

Posts 169
Eleanor Emmott | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 23 2012 8:23 PM

SteveF:

Sermon File Type

Sermon

Passages

Gen 1:1John 3:16

Topics

Creation; Love

Tags

Examples; Testing

Speaker

John G. Smith

Venue

There

Date

September 28, 2000

This is an excellent and helpful summary, Steve.  Thanks!

To our developer friends... is it possible to add an additional field with information about church year or lectionary date?  With the current setup I would use tags to capture that information, but it would be helpful to have a separate field that would allow me to see a set of all my sermons for (ex.) Christ the King or Advent or Lent.

Posts 1880
Philana Crouch | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 23 2012 10:59 PM

Eleanor Emmott:

Randy W. Sims (Shayne):

I believe that the book type listed in the wiki refers to a scholarly or magazine type journal.  Depending on what books you have in your library, you may be able to see some examples if you search for "type:journal" in the library pane.

If you have scholars I think you would have Semeia that would be an example of a Journal.

Posts 10247
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 23 2012 11:43 PM

I concur that type:journal refers to theological magazines (often scholarly) that are issued periodically. Often they carry the development of theological thought, since authors tend to produce new arguments in an article before they bury them in whole books. Of course there may be much content that arose from academia's "publish or perish" paradigm and will be either refuted or completely forgotten afterwards. Journals also are a means of discussion: authors reacting to other author's articles and often they carry reviews of books. In some areas they did for a hundred years what blogs do now.

Journals unfortunately tend to be outrageously expensive, but there are some exceptions in Logos. 

Philana Crouch:
If you have scholars I think you would have Semeia that would be an example of a Journal.

Semeia would be included from Scholar's Gold up, but it is also available very economically priced as a standalone collection (91 volumes for what you'd pay for two single ones) - I saw this referenced in the "African American"-thread this weekend and decided to go for it.

Another reasonably priced journal (from a totally different angle) is the Evangelical Review of Theology contained in the WEA collection.

A third one I have in my library are seven volumes of Themelios, the journal from The Gospel Coalition edited by D.A. Carson. These seven once came as a PrePub and I bought them - you can have some 150 individual issues for $2 each in Logos, but this journal is also available as PDF online.  

Running Logos 8 latest beta version on Win 10

Page 2 of 2 (37 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS