considering that 2012 is around the corner

Page 1 of 2 (21 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 20 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 438
Mathew Haferkamp | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Nov 21 2009 7:53 PM

after reading about the calvin 500 comment, I thought I would plug The Numerical Bible in pre pub.  let's be prepared!!!! 

Posts 2739
DominicM | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 22 2009 1:09 AM

Sorry but I wont be buying it..

[RANT]

IMO 2012 isn't even a good film, was seriously dissapoined by it, being a sci-fi fan.. As for God destroying the world by flood again... well its not in my bible... no one knows the time, its speculation and fear from those who havent encountered the Light of the World, and who are stumbling around grasping for something to hold to in these uncertain times.. where there doesnt seem a way out from this recession/depression..

Sadly in todays society, the church seems easily distracted, as this seems to happen more and more regularly, there is ONE THING OF IMPORTANCE: JESUS IS COMING BACK SOON!! AMEN!! so yes Lets be prepared, but the right way...  by giving Him a spotless bride.. without blemish..

Christian scriptural numerology is just as bad IMO: yes there are patterns but its another "Hey, lets distract the church from doing what they should be.. ie reaching into the darkness and resuing lost souls ...and get them worried/focused on something irrelevant instead"

[/RANT]

Never Deprive Anyone of Hope.. It Might Be ALL They Have

Posts 3810
spitzerpl | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 22 2009 1:45 AM

All I want to know is why the series comes in 7 volumes.

Posts 4508
Robert Pavich | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 22 2009 1:53 AM

I hope that you're joking about a "numerical bible"... Sad

Robert Pavich

For help go to the Wiki: http://wiki.logos.com/Table_of_Contents__

Posts 3810
spitzerpl | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 22 2009 3:05 AM

Robert Pavich:

I hope that you're joking about a "numerical bible"... Sad

It's on pre-pub

http://www.logos.com/products/prepub/details/4116

Posts 4508
Robert Pavich | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 22 2009 3:20 AM

"....Each comes with a forward by Geraldo Rivera or Harold Camping.." Wink

Robert Pavich

Posts 3810
spitzerpl | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 22 2009 4:26 AM

Robert Pavich:

"....Each comes with a forward by Geraldo Rivera or Harold Camping.." Wink

I'm counting on it.

Posts 8654
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 22 2009 5:28 AM

Given that Jesus was actually born in or about 4-5 BC, we are therefore actually living in 2013-2014 no?

I always trot that little line out, innacurate as it may or may not be for the date focused.  You know the ones...

Hmm Sarcasm is my love language. Obviously I love you. 

Posts 438
Mathew Haferkamp | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 22 2009 7:12 AM

of course I was joking about The Numerical Bible (a great resource) being related to 2012.  2012 doesn't concern a Christian.  I just wanted to plug this resource a little bit, to get it into production.  give it a look in prepub, thanks

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 22 2009 8:41 AM

DominicM:

Christian scriptural numerology is just as bad IMO: yes there are patterns but its another "Hey, lets distract the church from doing what they should be.. ie reaching into the darkness and resuing lost souls ...and get them worried/focused on something irrelevant instead"

[/RANT]

Thanks for the rant. But I would not characterize F. W. Grant's Numerical Bible as "numerology" any more than I'd call Bullinger's Witness of the Stars "astrology."  I do agree a pre-occupation with minutiae can effectively stop our laboring for God during harvest time. But some may actually be encouraged to once again be reminded we have a magnificent God whose attributes include order and beauty as well as mercy, grace and justice.

As for the rest of the rant, right on!

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 4508
Robert Pavich | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 22 2009 10:24 AM

I'm just disappointed that the movie 2012 isn't any good Sad

Robert Pavich

Posts 98
Tim Lord | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 23 2009 5:51 PM

I'd say, "don't judge a book by its cover" on this one.  The Logos write-up on this seems to indicate more of a scholarly approach -- a very in-depth and thorough analysis of the usage of numbers in the Bible.  It's over 3,800 pages and published in 1902: http://www.logos.com/products/prepub/details/4116 

Posts 376
Dan Sheppard | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 23 2009 7:47 PM

I seem to recall about 9 years ago, that kind of "doom and gloom" foretelling, which did not end up happening.

Of course, Y2K was predominantly due to computers, but even that did not happen.  I suspect that 2012 will pass by, with a lot of disappointed people crying their eyes out on January 1, 2013.

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 23 2009 9:04 PM

Tim Lord:
I'd say, "don't judge a book by its cover" on this one.  The Logos write-up on this seems to indicate more of a scholarly approach -- a very in-depth and thorough analysis of the usage of numbers in the Bible.  It's over 3,800 pages and published in 1902:

If you'd like to see for yourself check out the author on Books.Logos.com here:

http://books.logos.com/#q=%22numerical%20bible%22%20f%20w%20grant/0&content=/books/4078&tab=search

You'll see he isn't one of those "Jesus is coming back next Tuesday at 3 o'clock" types. He has some legitimate scholarly observations.

Google Books has an partial reprint available to look at the actual title Logos is working on:

http://books.google.com/books?id=9-QmBwAyEtEC&pg=PP1&dq=f+w+grant+the+numerical+Bible&hl=En#

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 670
Michael Lyman | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 12 2011 12:09 PM

I'm reading Bullinger's book right now. He is not a crackpot. The elect looked for signs of Christ's first advent, we should do the same.Beloved, I now write to you this second epistle (in both of which I stir up your pure minds by way of reminder), that you may be mindful of the words which were spoken before by the holy prophets, and of the commandment of us, the apostles of the Lord and Savior, knowing this first: that scoffers will come in the last days, walking according to their own lusts, and saying, "Where is the promise of His coming? For since the fathers fell asleep, all things continue as they were from the beginning of creation." For this they willfully forget: that by the word of God the heavens were of old, and the earth standing out of water and in the water, by which the world that then existed perished, being flooded with water.

2 Peter 3:1-6

Beloved, I now write to you this second epistle (in both of which I stir up your pure minds by way of reminder), that you may be mindful of the words which were spoken before by the holy prophets, and of the commandment of us, the apostles of the Lord and Savior, knowing this first: that scoffers will come in the last days, walking according to their own lusts, and saying, "Where is the promise of His coming? For since the fathers fell asleep, all things continue as they were from the beginning of creation." For this they willfully forget: that by the word of God the heavens were of old, and the earth standing out of water and in the water, by which the world that then existed perished, being flooded with water.

Posts 30206
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 12 2011 3:38 PM

Having this thread resurrected after nearly 2 years is a stroll down memory lane - a reason I'd like old discussions to be closed.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 28713
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 12 2011 3:41 PM

Yes

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 2672
David Ames | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 12 2011 4:50 PM

Dan Sheppard:

I seem to recall about 9 years ago, that kind of "doom and gloom" foretelling, which did not end up happening.

Of course, Y2K was predominantly due to computers, but even that did not happen.  I suspect that 2012 will pass by, with a lot of disappointed people crying their eyes out on January 1, 2013.

The Y2K problem was stopped in its tracks by uncountable programmers working uncountable hours to get rid of every two digit year in every program known. 

It was a "man made" problem that was fixed.

Posts 2739
DominicM | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 13 2011 6:57 AM

Phew,  becareful what you rant, it may come back to haunt you.. though in this case I am no ashamed of anything I wrote..

Maranatha...

Yes auto locking of old threads sounds good to me

Never Deprive Anyone of Hope.. It Might Be ALL They Have

Posts 438
Mathew Haferkamp | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 13 2011 9:50 AM

MJ. Smith:

Having this thread resurrected after nearly 2 years is a stroll down memory lane - a reason I'd like old discussions to be closed.

Well  MJ, maybe you should start your own forum and then you can control it.  I have watched you complain about people doing something that you yourself were doing.  Maybe logos should ban people from the forums who are always so critical of others!!

Page 1 of 2 (21 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS