Recommended Platform For Logo 4

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
This post has 9 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 15
Kevin Ball | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Sep 22 2012 9:24 AM

I am currently running Logo 4 on my work laptop and I am expecting to have to move the software off the laptop. I was wondering what everyone's thoughts were on what I should get to run Logos 4?  I am looking at something portable like an ultrabook or Macbook Pro/Air. But I was wondering if I could run everything on an iPad and not get a laptop?

Thoughts, comments, suggestions, pros / cons?

Posts 2261
David Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 22 2012 9:35 AM

The iPad app is great, but it doesn't have near the features of the PC/ Mac software.

Making Disciples!  Logos Ecosystem = Logos8 on Microsoft Surface Pro 4 (Win10), Android app on tablet, FSB on iPhone, [deprecated] Windows App, Proclaim, Faithlife.com, FaithlifeTV via Connect subscription.

Posts 28896
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 22 2012 10:58 AM

Kevin - I love my iPad and use the mobile app daily… but it is not the same as the desktop app. You would be better off with a MacBook Air if you could only have one. 

Something to consider: There are strong rumors of an iPad Mini to be unveiled before the holiday season. 

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 2261
David Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 22 2012 2:57 PM

While an ultrabook would have some speed issues compared to a more powerful laptop or desktop (depending upon the configuration of your ultrabook) take a visit over to the logos 4 Mac user forums before deciding on a MacBook Air. There are still some significant issues that several users are having with Logos 4 Mac.

Making Disciples!  Logos Ecosystem = Logos8 on Microsoft Surface Pro 4 (Win10), Android app on tablet, FSB on iPhone, [deprecated] Windows App, Proclaim, Faithlife.com, FaithlifeTV via Connect subscription.

Posts 3727
BillS | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 22 2012 3:16 PM

By the middle of next year, I expect tablets running full blown W8 to be ready for primetime. No more "shrink-wrap" apps (ios, droid). Full featured. With Word, etc.  The 1st batch of them should be ready end of this year. By middle of next year, prices should begin to start looking reasonable for that portability.

For now, if you need the full features of Logos, you're limited to a Mac or PC operating system--whether you choose to go ultrabook or laptop or desktop.

Grace & Peace,
Bill

MSI GF63 8RD, I-7 8850H, 32GB RAM, 1TB SSD, 2TB HDD, NVIDIA GTX 1050Max
iPhone 12 Pro Max 512Gb
Fire 10HD 64GB 7th Gen

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 22 2012 6:26 PM

Suspect my next laptop for Logos use will have a third generation i5 or i7, Dell Outlet now has notebooks with 15" and 17" screens running Windows 7:

Replacing 5400 RPM Hard Drive with newer Solid State Disk (SSD) would noticeably improve Logos performance.

A Windows 7 tablet with SSD has fast disk access, but 1.5 GHz Atom CPU is underpowered for Logos 4 use (same as a netbook).

Reading rumors about a 13" MacBook Pro with Retina Display and updated iMacs.  Noticed several 2012 Mac models are available on Apple's refurbished site => http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/mac (packaging and warranty are the same as new, refurbished sticker is on the box).

For desktop Logos use, am looking forward for a 27" iMac refresh with 3rd Generation i5 and i7; previous hardware update was in May 2011.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 74
Ralph Hale | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 22 2012 6:28 PM

Look at the Lenovo x220 tablet. It's a 12.5 ultraportable, that converts to a tablet. I have one. I really like it. A vast improvement over netbooks. It loads Logos in 4 seconds. !

Posts 5316
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 23 2012 12:20 PM

David Thomas:

While an ultrabook would have some speed issues compared to a more powerful laptop or desktop (depending upon the configuration of your ultrabook) take a visit over to the logos 4 Mac user forums before deciding on a MacBook Air. There are still some significant issues that several users are having with Logos 4 Mac.

Latest Beta seems to have helped in performance for me. Yes it is not nearly as stable as it could be but generally I have no issues using it each day either than often needing to force quit after i have quit the program. I believe Bob has told us now that programming for all new features are being done first for the mac and then being brought over to the pc side. I do not think you will ever regret going with the MBA if you go that way, and it is very fast, i know trying out a friends MBA for a week I was impressed with how fast Logos worked on it (This was back in late January).

-Dan

Posts 15
Kevin Ball | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 24 2012 8:10 AM

Thanks for everyone's input - I was hoping for something small I could use during my time with God - in my easy chair, or traveling - but it sounds like I need something more powerful that I would use at a desk. Still leaning towards a Macbook - even with the issues - but Mac plays nice with my other Apple stuff.

Thanks again everyone.

Posts 3727
BillS | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 24 2012 11:43 AM

Kevin Ball:
hoping for something small I could use during my time with God - in my easy chair, or traveling

Kevin,

If that's all you want, why not add the Bible app to your android or iphone? Either will do that with most of your Logos resources. I'm already using the android version for verse look-up & some searches on my phone as opposed to digging out a Bible. All the Vyrso books would work on either platform, as would any of the regular L4 books that are licensed for mobile (the only restriction on having access to your entire library).

Grace & Peace,
Bill

MSI GF63 8RD, I-7 8850H, 32GB RAM, 1TB SSD, 2TB HDD, NVIDIA GTX 1050Max
iPhone 12 Pro Max 512Gb
Fire 10HD 64GB 7th Gen

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS