Can the FAVOURITES menu be backed up? ( to safeguard against errors)

Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
This post has 13 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 34
Michael Perry | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Sep 29 2012 5:26 PM

hi

Is it possible to back up the Favourites menu to guard against accidential deletions or mistakes?

Perhaps rather like "Layouts"  can be saved, and dated, could the same be deon with the Favrouties menu? Two hisotrical back ups would be sufficient, so a "restore from back up" is possible following an error ( and perhaps one more back up saved just to be safe?)

The favourites menu is a fantastic feature. It can be used as an alternative to the Library, to organise resources and notes exactly as you want them. The "branching" system of folders and collapsible sub folders can provide almost endless potential for categories topics themes etc. Books, notes, passages etc can all be "dragged and dropped" into the folder of the user's choice.

My Favourites menus has 1000's of entries, covering many hundreds of hours of work or organisation. Tihs means I can access topics and themes, old notes. etc incredibly quickly, speed is power! For exampe one of my folder tree systems covers every book chapter and pericope of the bible. I constantly add file and catologue notes and the like, it is all there when needed. . I have an A-Z of topcis and themes. A Breakdown of Theology topics to quikcly cross reference and check anything, etc etc.... but now I work almost shaking,,,,, in case all of this work were to go with one accidental "delete" , as can happen.... I have twice done this, but nly lost a few things.....

There is no "back" feature. no "are you sure you want to delete this" safeguard... and most of all there is no back up?

CAN THE FAVOURITES MENUE BE BACKED UP IN SOME WAY< I REALLY NEED THIS before I quake too much!!

Posts 20
GMCI | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 29 2012 7:52 PM

Michael, you may need to manually copy the favourites file or folder and back it up to some place else.

If on windows 7 maybe the same for vista try this link. 

C:\Users\GMCI\AppData\Local\Logos4\Documents\up0ioa00.qhf\FavoritesManager

The underlined word is unique to each computer. You may have to tell windows to view hidden files and folders.

Posts 25864
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 30 2012 3:42 AM

Michael Perry:

There is no "back" feature. no "are you sure you want to delete this" safeguard... and most of all there is no back up?

CAN THE FAVOURITES MENUE BE BACKED UP IN SOME WAY< I REALLY NEED THIS before I quake too much!!

The same is often stated about Notes and the answer is that you must backup the entire Logos4\Documents folder as a safeguard because there are dependencies which are not stored in the \Notes or \FavoritesManager folder and you could easily produce a disaster greater than losing one Favorite. The sad fact, however, is that the "Delete" will be sync'd to Logos and any backup copy will also be deleted; so you should contact Logos about the recovery.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 34
Michael Perry | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 30 2012 5:01 AM

hi, I will back up the folder up regularly from now on! Many thanks

Michael

Posts 8893
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 30 2012 11:43 AM

I've asked that Print/Export be implemented for Favorites: No print/export for Favorites: feature parity issue, on the to-do-list, or not planned? It's not a proper backup that can be restored just like that, but for most accidental deletes, recreating a link after a quick look in an exported file to see what should be there, would be much faster than trying to restore the whole file from an external backup. And certainly safer.

A couple of thumbs up in my thread may help to show that I'm not the only one wanting this.

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 34
Michael Perry | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 30 2012 1:00 PM

hi

I guess having a printed record would be better than nothing, and as you say help with minor accidental deletes. My concern also though is te massive loss of a folder with several hundred sub-folders and sub-sub -olders....not only difficult to remember what was there ( and a print out would help record that) but also hundreds of hours of work to re-create all those folders and to put resources/locations and notes in them.

is there any way of simply having a straightforward favourites back up, ( and then a second back up/back up to be safe!) ,

rather like the Layouts backups

then the previous favourties back up could be installed instead of a current corrupted one

this would make it safer and more comfortable to be a power user of the favourites menu. The favourites menu is an incredibly powerful resource for cataloguing and cross references resources under chosen topcs/themes/bible pericopes etc, all of which facilitates building and accumulating study on topics/themes/bible pericopes and sections over long periods of time

Posts 8893
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 30 2012 1:37 PM

Michael Perry:
I guess having a printed record would be better than nothing

You wouldn't need to print, just export to a backup folder on the computer. I try to do that with notes, passage lists, everything. I don't trust Logos.

Michael Perry:

There are no real Layout backups. If you accidentally delete a named layout, or it gets corrupted by no fault of yours, you're no better off than if you accidentally delete a favorite folder. The simple fact is that Logos doesn't particularly care if our work is 100% safe or not. 

What I don't understand is how you can stand using Favorites as extensively as you do. In my view, the fact that all folders collapse the second you close either Favorites or Logos, makes it pretty useless for any real use. It takes so much time opening folders that it's virtually always faster to open things some other way. It's just yet another one of those features that are 90% done, but lacks the last 10% that would make them actually useful.

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 25864
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 30 2012 4:48 PM

Michael Perry:

is there any way of simply having a straightforward favourites back up, ( and then a second back up/back up to be safe!) ,

then the previous favourties back up could be installed instead of a current corrupted one

this would make it safer and more comfortable to be a power user of the favourites menu.

There is no simple backup/restore solution that will help with deleted documents. A backup is always good but contact Logos about restoring the documents.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 34
Michael Perry | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 30 2012 5:15 PM

hi Dave

apologies,  I should rather have written... Can Logos develop a favourites back up?... please...!

Posts 34
Michael Perry | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 30 2012 5:23 PM

I leave the favourites menu open all the time in a window on the side ( with tabs for a few other things like personal books, searches etc)

my main categories are always there,,, I space them with folders named blank ( or with one dot etc) . yes it can be faster to open main things other ways, but the favourites aloows me to have hundreds or thousands of resource locations and notes indexed/catalogued under the headings I wish, ( ie bible pericope, or topics A-Z etc) , especially if use sub folders and sub  sub folders etc. This works not particualrly for speed, but for sheer volume of entries.... all just where i want them. Of course my actual folder/sub folder system makes sense to me, I can find my way around my categories in a logical consistent mannder. Working it out in a way that makes sense to me, and can continue to develop is key.

If the favourites were to be improved, then for me  it would be back ups as a priority, but then better formatting and indentations etc would help... but with a little care there are "work arounds" for now.....

Posts 8893
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 30 2012 6:09 PM

Michael Perry:
I leave the favourites menu open all the time

Not an option I have.

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 25864
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 30 2012 6:56 PM

Michael Perry:

hi Dave

apologies,  I should rather have written... Can Logos develop a favourites back up?... please...!

The ball is in their court. Many requests for a user backup/restore have been submitted because the "cloud" and the software have not sufficiently protected our documents.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 287
Gregorio Billikopf | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 13 2012 10:51 PM

I would like to be able to know what is the file name that holds my current "layouts" files so I can back these up in case of an error--either mine or Logos, where they are all lost.

Posts 25864
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 14 2012 12:16 AM

Gregorio Billikopf:

I would like to be able to know what is the file name that holds my current "layouts" files so I can back these up in case of an error--either mine or Logos, where they are all lost.

First see my earlier response to this type of recovery.

The location of layouts is  \Logos4\Documents\randomId\LayoutManager  (in your C:\Users\... folder).

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Page 1 of 1 (14 items) | RSS