Journaling

Page 1 of 2 (22 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 21 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 17
Keith Godfrey | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Nov 23 2009 3:08 AM

Is there a journaling feature in Logos 4?

Keith

Posts 687
Jon | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 23 2009 3:37 AM

There's not a jouranling feature per se, but journaling means different things to different people and depending on what you want to do you could use notes. Prayer lists, which may or may not be related depending on what you mean, are a feature to be added. http://www.logos.com/4/missingfeatures

Posts 1
Jon Peterson | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 8 2010 2:37 PM

Your question about journalling is a good one. I was about to ask the same. 

What I am looking for is a format to record responses to daily Bible reading. I want to use it as a tool to keep me focussed on reading for application and as a rocord of what God is doing. Typically I have hand written notes in a note book day by day. It's a helpful discipline for me and I would love to be able to do it within the Logos format so that I could do my devotional reading there and have the power to recall material by text or date. 

The capacity MUST be there. I just don't know where. Does anyone have a suggestion as to what tool might serve that purpose?

Posts 2694
DominicM | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 8 2010 2:45 PM

I pleaded from the outset for Journalling, but in retrospect the standard note file seems to work for me

here is a mock up..

if you add the date in  YYYY-MM-DD format any sort will keep the file in date order

Never Deprive Anyone of Hope.. It Might Be ALL They Have

Posts 3810
spitzerpl | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 8 2010 2:50 PM

I would recommend using clippings and the clippings note section. It would automatically record the date of the submission. You could clip any portion of a verse and the verse then becomes a searchable tag which I believe will cause the clipping to be returned in the "My Content" section of a guide. You could record any notes in the notes section of a clipping as well.

Posts 18818
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 8 2010 3:01 PM

drjonpeterson:

What I am looking for is a format to record responses to daily Bible reading. I want to use it as a tool to keep me focussed on reading for application and as a rocord of what God is doing. Typically I have hand written notes in a note book day by day. It's a helpful discipline for me and I would love to be able to do it within the Logos format so that I could do my devotional reading there and have the power to recall material by text or date. 

The capacity MUST be there. I just don't know where. Does anyone have a suggestion as to what tool might serve that purpose?

I think Notes is the feature you're looking for. On the File menu, under "New," select Notes. This will create a new Notes file for you. Name it something relevant by clicking on the pencil icon next to "Untitled Notes" and changing the text to something else, e.g., "Devotional Reading Journal." You can add separate notes to the file one at a time by clicking "Add note" up at the top of the Notes file. For example, you might want to add a new note for each day of devotional reading. You can give it a title which would be the date, and then the content of the note would be your reflections upon your reading for the day.

Or, alternatively, if your written meditations are more appropriately linked to the Scripture passage you read for the day, do this:

1) Make sure you have your "Devotional Reading Journal" Notes file open (you might have created other notes files for other purposes, but the one you're adding to needs to be open).

2) Go to your Bible, and select the entire passage that your comments are related to.

3) Right click on the selected text (#1)

4) Make sure the "Selection" tab is the one selected on the right side of the pop-up menu (if you want this note to be linked in only to this Bible version) or else the "Reference" tab (if you want the note marker to show up in every Bible version). (#2)

5) Choose Add a note to "Devotional Reading Journal" (#3)

This will insert a new note at the end of the Notes file and put you in edit mode in the content of it, ready to type away your reflections on your reading.

If you do the notes linked to the Scripture readings this latter method, then you'll see little yellow tab markers next to the verses that you linked your notes to. (You can always hide these markers if they get in your way, by deselecting that Notes file on the Visual filter menu in your Bible; you access this menu from the icon with the three intersecting circles at the top of your Bible window.)

Posts 2931
Forum MVP
Jacob Hantla | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 8 2010 3:41 PM

I have a note file entitled "Journal" and use it exactly as Rosie described when I am responding to a Bible verse. Sometimes I just make entries in there untied to a verse as well. 

Jacob Hantla
Pastor/Elder, Grace Bible Church
gbcaz.org

Posts 5257
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 9 2010 12:45 AM

Philip Spitzer:

I would recommend using clippings and the clippings note section. It would automatically record the date of the submission. You could clip any portion of a verse and the verse then becomes a searchable tag which I believe will cause the clipping to be returned in the "My Content" section of a guide. You could record any notes in the notes section of a clipping as well.

I hadn't thought of using clippings like that Philip.  I like the idea of being able to tag it.  You could add topical tag, along with a date and the scripture tag.  My approach would have been like Rosies suggestion.  Tagging is not currently an option for notes added to a note file or the note file itself for that matter.  Using clippings they will not show up in your resource like a note would if you attach it to a verse or devotional entry, so depending on how you look at it, that may be a pro or a con for this approach.

Posts 27602
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 9 2010 1:49 AM

Sounds to me as if a new set of requirements is emerging - probably within notes

• ability to display creation date and sort file on it
  • ability to add tags to notes

Both of these have value beyond journaling and seem to be very reasonable requests. You might also note that the wiki entry on Prayer Lists gave Notes as an option for prayer journals.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 3767
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 9 2010 5:00 AM

Andrew McKenzie:

Philip Spitzer:

I hadn't thought of using clippings like that Philip.  I like the idea of being able to tag it.  You could add topical tag, along with a date and the scripture tag.  My approach would have been like Rosies suggestion.  Tagging is not currently an option for notes added to a note file or the note file itself for that matter.  Using clippings they will not show up in your resource like a note would if you attach it to a verse or devotional entry, so depending on how you look at it, that may be a pro or a con for this approach.

I didn't see this thread until today, but I agree with clippings.  I had been looking at that earlier this week in my own devotional time.  As long has you have something to "clip" it is a fantastic method, with your notes always connected with your scripture or any other reading.

I like Apples.  Especially Honeycrisp.

Posts 847
Praiser | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 9 2010 7:52 AM

drjonpeterson@comcast.net:

Your question about journalling is a good one. I was about to ask the same. 

I agree that probably the notes feature in Logos4 is the best choice within Logos4, but I do not think that is the best solution.

Journaling was addressed in this old Logos3/Libronix  forum post http://community.logos.com/forums/p/162/1262.aspx#1262  and I discovered some outside resources that I really liked. I had been using Microsoft's OneNote previous to seeing that post, but ended up using The Journal which was one of those suggested in that post and find it really works well for me! 

I don't think Logos4 can do everything, and I'm not sure that I want it to.

Posts 27602
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 9 2010 12:05 PM

Praiser:
I don't think Logos4 can do everything, and I'm not sure that I want it to.

I agree that Logos should not try to do everything. However, whether the journal needs to be in Logos for searching or it appropriately another software application depends upon how one journals and what use you make of the journal. In this case, I think that the changes needed to make it work as a journal are changes that support enough other uses that Logos should at least make the create date visible and add tags to notes.

I have put a request for tags on notes on uservoice

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 3669
Floyd Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 9 2010 12:42 PM

Two tools that I have used to supplement my use of LOGOS as a journal are MS OneNote and David Michael's TheJournal.  

The advantage of using these products (and I move back and forth, depending on my mood) is that I can use them to integrate my studies for multiple Bible Study Programs.  Though I use LOGOS as my primary tool, I have three others that I will consult almost every week.  

Though each has its advantages, I would probably drop them and move to LOGOS is if the books available in the other programs became available via LOGOS.  Till then, I find using a third party journaling tool to be a useful way to integrate the various programs I use.

Blessings,
Floyd

Pastor-Patrick.blogspot.com

Posts 442
Tim Engwer | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 9 2010 3:05 PM

Here's a question.  Considering that everything I put into notes, clippings etc. is part of the cloud and, I believe, no longer owned by me should I be concerned about my privacy if I journal within Logos?Confused

Posts 27602
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 9 2010 3:13 PM

TimEngwer:
is part of the cloud and, I believe, no longer owned by me

I'm not sure where you got the idea that the use of the cloud had anything to do with your ownership. I have seen no summary of copyright law for artists that would give this idea any credibility.

TimEngwer:
should I be concerned about my privacy if I journal within Logos?

This depends both on the content and on your location. If your journaling includes information about others that is subject to privacy rules then yes, you have a valid concern - the same concern that has been discussed with regards to prayer lists. Otherwise, not really. On the scale of things to be concerned about there is way too much that deserves higher ranking.

Posts 3669
Floyd Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 9 2010 3:18 PM

TimEngwer:

Here's a question.  Considering that everything I put into notes, clippings etc. is part of the cloud and, I believe, no longer owned by me should I be concerned about my privacy if I journal within Logos?Confused

That question was debated quite well earlier this Spring - with no definitive answer.  The answer probably be, "Yes, you should be concerned.  But to what extent is totally unknown at this time.  It will probably take a number of court cases to resolve that question with any clarity."  Somewhat vague - but the best that can be said at this point.

Some here have vowed to never leave any information on the cloud - ever.  They have taken steps to totally disconnect their LOGOS software from the internet, except for downloading updates on their own schedule.   Others have said they will take a more laissez faire approach, trusting LOGOS to protect their user's interests.  

I have chosen to let the notes I make go to the cloud, but not to create any personal notes that might reflect on me or on my church - just thoughts and reflections about the scripture.

Blessings,
Floyd

Pastor-Patrick.blogspot.com

Posts 2694
DominicM | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 9 2010 3:35 PM

even in my paper journals I encode the sensitive stuff with a cypher, like any data on machines with internet access or that anyone else can access - if any doubts = dont do it

Never Deprive Anyone of Hope.. It Might Be ALL They Have

Posts 5257
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 9 2010 6:45 PM

Floyd Johnson:

the notes I make go to the cloud, but not to create any personal notes that might reflect on me or on my church - just thoughts and reflections about the scripture.

Floyd I agree this is the approach to take.  I would very much prefer to be able to control what ends up in the cloud but at the same time I dont' want reduce the value of what I can do with LBS by not using any feature that might potentionally put data in the cloud.  Making personal notes about people, organisations we belong to, or don't sit well with us is not a good idea.  Keeping it to reflections on the scriptures is a good rule.

Just by commenting on these forums we are putting our thoughts and personal feelings up there in the cloud, and those comments can be easily found by anyone using google to search the site. In an age of social networking so many put anything and everything out there on the net.  Discretion seems to be a lost art. 

Proverbs leaves us with much to consider on the topic of discretion including the following

Prov 10:19  When words are many, transgression is not lacking, but whoever restrains his lips is prudent.

Prov 13:3  Whoever guards his mouth preserves his life; he who opens wide his lips comes to ruin.

Prov 14:3 Whoever guards his mouth preserves his life; he who opens wide his lips comes to ruin.

Prov 21:3  Whoever guards his mouth preserves his life; he who opens wide his lips comes to ruin.

(If anyone needs a headstart on a sermon  or devotion discussing social networking, discretion and proverbs feel free to use).

Just thought of MJ's idea of using Prayer list as a quote ticker... this would be a good start on a nice topical list on the benefits of and consequences of not  showing discretion in our words, whether oral or written.

Posts 847
Praiser | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 11 2010 5:42 AM

MJ. Smith:
Logos should at least make the create date visible and add tags to notes

Agree that this would be very helpful, and yes I have voted for tags on notes in uservoice!

Thanks MJ.

EDIT:  MJ -- I am see two references to tagging notes in uservoice

http://logos.uservoice.com/forums/42823-logos-bible-software-4/suggestions/806451-tag-markup-and-notes-with-searching-?ref=title

and the one that you posted

http://logos.uservoice.com/forums/42823-logos-bible-software-4/suggestions/974309-make-tags-available-on-notes?ref=title

aren't these similar enough to combine them?

Posts 847
Praiser | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 11 2010 5:44 AM

Excellent reminders on our words and discretion Andrew.

Page 1 of 2 (22 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS