A confused newbie

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
This post has 10 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 8
Nathan Klier | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Nov 23 2009 10:17 AM

I just downloaded the Alpha at the end of last week.   I am not a computer Wiz but I know that it will improve and be functional.   I am having all the problems that everyone else is having with indexing and slowness.   

My main question is can I download the program onto my PC without having to pay for it again?   I know multiple computers is not a problem but what about more than one computer with different OS?   

Also as i said i am not a wiz but can I get a parallel to run that is free?   Or would that be over my head.  

Posts 2737
Bohuslav Wojnar | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 23 2009 10:23 AM

As far as I know you should be able to use your base package you bought on both platforms, whether PC or MAC. To your second question you have to get some MAC guys to answer. Welcome to Logos. It is great software.

Bohuslav

Posts 5337
Kevin Becker | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 23 2009 10:23 AM

You can use Logos on Mac or PC with no extra charge. Just download the PC installer and follow all the prompts.

Parallels is a Mac program that lets you run windows alongside OS X, you have to pay for it and have a copy of Windows.

Posts 6
Nathan Cotton | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 23 2009 4:53 PM

When my home page comes up (My blank homepage) the entire program crashes. Is this normal? This has started only since downloading Alpha 4. The program will load and then crash right after loading. Secondly, I am new to the MAC world and I am fearful of putting windows on my mac due to the virus problems that I have had on other PC's in the past. Does using windows on the MAC open up my MAC to Windows problems? I need help!!

Posts 505
Michael Kares | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 23 2009 5:02 PM

Do you have the latest release (A4) installed?

Posts 6
Nathan Cotton | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 23 2009 5:27 PM

Yes I have it installed, I am trying reinstall again.

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 23 2009 6:19 PM

Nathan Cotton:

Yes I have it installed, I am trying reinstall again.

Not a final and proper answer, but try holding down the <ctrl> key as it loads.  This might enable you to use the program.

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 6
Nathan Cotton | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 23 2009 6:33 PM

George-

Thanks man but that did not work. It comes up and before my (Blank home) Page loads the whole things crashes. I just want to study on my computer with logos is that ok! I believe in you Logo's you can do it!

Posts 44
Ed Jent | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 23 2009 7:07 PM

Is this the famous Nathan Cotton from Houston? If so I have no doubt you will figure it out.

Posts 71
Colin Thornby | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 23 2009 7:21 PM

Nathan Cotton:

When my home page comes up (My blank homepage) the entire program crashes. Is this normal? This has started only since downloading Alpha 4. The program will load and then crash right after loading. Secondly, I am new to the MAC world and I am fearful of putting windows on my mac due to the virus problems that I have had on other PC's in the past. Does using windows on the MAC open up my MAC to Windows problems? I need help!!

Hello Nathan

You can pretty safely put Windows on your Mac using one of two methods:

(1) Bootcamp (comes built in with your Mac). This requires you to close down the Mac OS and boot into Windows - essentially you have two computers. You will need a Windows installation disc and your Mac OS X installation disc, and your Mac has to have an Intel processor (just about all Macs after 2006 will meet this requirement). At the moment Bootcamp doesn't support Windows 7.

(2) Virtualisation software (you need to get this software). You can run Windows and Mac OS at the same time. You will need a Windows installation disc and you'll need to get some software - either Parallels or Fusion (you need to pay for either of these), or VirtualBox (free, but not as easy to use). Again, your Mac has to have an Intel processor.

In general, your Mac operating system will stay safe from Windows viruses and malware, even if you do get an infection in your Windows 'side'. However, running Windows 'naked' (without using antivirus or firewall) would be a bad idea, as it will at least be inconvenient to you if you get an infection in Windows. Potentially you could open yourself to keyloggers and so on in Windows. I know Parallels comes with Kapersky internet security, and I think Fusion has a similar product. There are also other free versions of antivirus and so on out there for Windows - you could use one of these. I don't use Windows for my mail or anything like that - really only Logos, the Australian Taxation Office's eTax application and a couple of other things I just can't get for Mac. I've never had an infection, but I do keep it well protected too.

As others have noted, Alpha 4 is still unstable, and crashes are to be expected. I wouldn't expect Logos 4 Alpha builds to be useful - if you're not familiar with pre-release software I'd wait until the Beta comes out (I think this would probably happen sometime next year).

Hope this helps.

Colin

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 23 2009 7:23 PM

Ed Jent:

Is this the famous Nathan Cotton from Houston? If so I have no doubt you will figure it out.

All this time I thought "Famous Nathan's" was at Coney Island.  Devil

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS