Logos 4 instal on MacBook

Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
This post has 1 Reply | 1 Follower

Posts 1
Mike Hart | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Nov 24 2009 11:13 AM

I recently upgrade to logos 4. The first install was long and did not work. What do I need to do reinstall program. I try to and the install program freezes up and I have to do a force quit.

Mike

Posts 71
Colin Thornby | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 24 2009 1:04 PM

Mike Alan Hart:

I recently upgrade to logos 4. The first install was long and did not work. What do I need to do reinstall program. I try to and the install program freezes up and I have to do a force quit.

Mike

Hi Mike

Logos 4 for Mac is Alpha software. That means it is a pre-release version, still not complete and ready for full use. In fact, it means more than that - Alpha software (any Alpha software, not just this) can damage your existing installation - some users have reported this. In fact, the user interface is very far from complete and ready for full use. Many users report difficulties installing it, so you're not alone. At the moment you can't do anything much with the software, so unless you want to just do some basic experimenting and see it crash, I'd wait till the Beta comes out.

The first few things to do, if you want to keep using it (as I said, if you're not familiar with testing software I'd wait until the Beta version comes out) are:

• Download the newest version of the Alpha from: http://wiki.logos.com/Mac_Alpha (bookmark that page, as the link on there should always point to the newest version of the software).
  • Install it over the top.
  • Run it.
  • It may well appear to freeze up in the log-in stage, the downloading stage or the indexing stage. My advice is to leave well alone - some users have reported that their hard drives have become corrupt if they interrupt these processes. I'm sure why this should be, but there is a thread on it here.
  • Downloading can take a long time - hours if you have lots of resources, and indexing can take a very long time - some users report 60 hours. For me it was shorter, but I have a fairly high spec machine. The only way you might be able to tell it is doing something is by looking at the Activity Monitor.

But - here's my new caution: make sure you have a good backup before you start playing. Time Machine or something like that.

My strong advice would be to give it a miss right now, Mike. Just go with your existing installation of Logos 1.2, or use the Windows version of Logos 4 in Bootcamp, Parallels, Fusion or VirtualBox.

Colin

Page 1 of 1 (2 items) | RSS