New to logos. Question about ISBE

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
This post has 9 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 18
Luke | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Nov 24 2009 9:43 PM

Here is my question.  I do not currently have logos 4 platinum software but plan on buying it in a few months once I save up for a few months.  For Christmas my mom is going to get me ISBE but I don't really want the hardcovers because I will probably want it in logos 4 once I purchase. 

Can I have her purchase ISBE from logos for me instead of hardcovers and use it by itself until I buy platinum?

If so, should I buy the cd or do the download if I want to integrate it with platinum in a few months? I noticed there are two options of how to purchase it.

Thanks,

Luke

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 24 2009 9:53 PM

Luke:

Here is my question.  I do not currently have logos 4 platinum software but plan on buying it in a few months once I save up for a few months.  For Christmas my mom is going to get me ISBE but I don't really want the hardcovers because I will probably want it in logos 4 once I purchase. 

Can I have her purchase ISBE from logos for me instead of hardcovers and use it by itself until I buy platinum?

If so, should I buy the cd or do the download if I want to integrate it with platinum in a few months? I noticed there are two options of how to purchase it.

Thanks,

Luke

I do not know for sure. In the pre-Version 4 days all the boxed products could run as "stand alone" programs. I imagine this resource is still capable of that but if you get  a download of it you probably have to go with Version 4.

I've been trying to get clarification on whether or not it is possible to get new titles in a Version 3 file format by download from the ftp server.

Somebody know for sure if ISBE can be stand-alone?

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 3810
spitzerpl | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 24 2009 9:56 PM

Luke:

absolutely [EDIT: Since Matthew hesitated here, i would temper that to a I'm pretty sure, but get another opinion]. Some of the features of L4 will not be available to you, and not having a Bible would limit the software substantially, but I don't see why you couldn't get them just to read and search.

Luke:

won't make a bit of difference. Both will integrate with any future purchases you buy.

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 24 2009 10:18 PM

Luke:

Luke,        I have a hypothetical approach to this one:

1)  Confirm the CD-Rom boxed version can be run stand-alone. If it is,
2)  You get Logos Version 3 with it. With Version 3 you can run PBBs.
3)  PBBs ("Personal Book Builder") titles are books formatted by users & they're FREE!
4)  Nelson eBible boxed collections are Libronix resources (Runs on Logos 3)
5)  eBible collections are a cheap way to add Bibles & other cool stuff.
6)  I'd recommend upgrading to Logos 4 when you can. Meanwhile you a tried & true program that IS connected with a library.

It only gets better from there.

Posts 18
Luke | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 24 2009 10:21 PM

Thanks Matt and Philip!  Much appreciated.  I think I will get the cd-rom version and upgrade to 4 in a couple of months, Lord willing.

God Bless,

Luke

Posts 3810
spitzerpl | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 25 2009 3:37 AM

Matthew C Jones:
2)  You get Logos Version 3 with it. With Version 3 you can run PBBs.
3)  PBBs ("Personal Book Builder") titles are books formatted by users & they're FREE!

I thought the PBBs needed a base set to use.

Posts 687
Jon | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 25 2009 4:00 AM

Yeah, the PBBs require a Logos base set installed to be able to read them...

Luke, if finances are an issue; why not ask your mom to contribute the cost of ISBE to getting a Logos 4 collection instead? All of the scholars' libraries include numerous bible dictionaries and encyclopedia... (And if you wanted to expand on that IMHO the best value resource by a long way in this genre is the IVP Reference Collection, which is basically a reference library in its own right)

Posts 5337
Kevin Becker | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 25 2009 4:37 AM

My advice... get money instead of ISBE

ISBE is a great resource, but it is starting to show its age. I would save some more and go for Anchor Bible Dictionary or wait until Zondervan's new Bible dictionary comes out and pick it up if it's reviewed well.

Either way, having these types of titles in a digital library is a great tool.

BTW Jon is right about the IVP collection, it's a fantastic value.

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 25 2009 7:54 AM

Hey Luke!  Surprise  (Oh please, don't act on my last post before you read the other posts here!)

Phil & Jon are right! You only get a PBB reader with a Version 3 Logos "base package."  You do not get it with eBible collections or stand-alone titles like the ISBE.  You also do not get it with Version 4 at this time.  You may never really need that feature.

I did not address your choice of titles since I assumed you were already familiar with the options and had made up your mind. That is probably a bad assumption because there are SO MANY resources available you might not know about all of them. Everything Kevin said is good advice. Get money, consider different titles (research your options first), and you can't go wrong with the IVP collection. It is praised for value by more users than any other collection.

CAVEAT:  You can't have it all. Once upon a time, you could.  Not so any more. You may find yourself giving up golf, motorcycles, guitars or eating out. But what better way to be busy?

Posts 18
Luke | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 25 2009 11:00 AM

Thanks all!  Lots of good suggestions.  I think I will go the money route and check out IVP.  I hope to purchase logos 4 platinum in a couple of months.

Luke

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS