This post has 31 Replies | 7 Followers

Posts 3917
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 1 2012 3:24 AM

Whyndell Grizzard:

Dan DeVilder:

Whyndell Grizzard:
and then cannot just let someone have it when you die,

i'm not sure what you mean.  i think a transfer fee of $20 allows you to do just that, doesn't it?  Bob had some stuff to say on it, too.

Had a friend who passed wife was going to give his library to someone- but because ti was not willed she could not. 

Hmmmmm.

I like Apples.  Especially Honeycrisp.

Posts 579
Andrew Baguley | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 17 2012 10:23 AM

I've started a new thread with my views on the Bible Guides, based on the Ephesians volume, at http://community.logos.com/forums/p/59989/426615.aspx.  The thread is titled How to Save Yourself Hundreds of Dollars, which clearly indicates whether I think the guides are worth it...

Posts 1084
Martin Folley | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 17 2012 11:14 AM

Andrew's post above has prompted me to reflect on where I have got to in evaluating the Ephesians volume, a task that got somewhat side-tracked recently (L5 is worth the $ pain, IMHO though!).

I left it with 'the jury is out' ... and it still is! With a couple of days of the 30 remaining to me, I have decided to keep this one. A single volume is not going to break the bank ... but a whole series at this cost may do!

I am looking forward to the Genesis volumes, since I am more aware of the range of differing viewpoints (esp. WRT Creation), and I am looking forward to seeing how such diverse viewpoints will be covered. That one I can send back if I am disappointed.

I had a quick look at Andrew's post in the other thread. I found the page counting etc. to be interesting and intriguing but it did not help me decide one way or the other. for me, It is not about how many pages of it there is, but how useful it would be ... the authors of this series have doubtless spent considerable time researching this before writing their summary. It is this time that I do not have ... pages (and commentaries) I have in abundance. For me, it is the time that I am investing in ... if it is good research etc.

Andrew did highlight the Pastorum series ... but to my eyes this is not the same. Pastorum seems to point to a single view of a passage's elements, thus creating a 'compilation commentary' (think compilation CD ... music collated from different artists) rather than identifying different views of the same element within a passage.

Beyod my decision to be indecisive, I am curious as to whether these guides will appear at some point in a base package. It seems that, since they are in-house publications, the concept of a 'normal' price is arbitrary. They could go in under the guise of 'thousands of dollars worth of resources' without actually costing that much, certainly with more flexibility than with a third party publisher. As has been suggested elsewhere, they are good at prompting/pushing/nudging you into considering the big ticket resources sets. Placing/subsidising these into a base package (e.g. Gold +) might make good financial sense by the time that Logos 6 arrives. I thus become curious whether, if I spend say $300 on these resources now, would I see a $300 discount on L6? As I say, just curious ... 

2010 17" MBP with High Sierra, iPad4 with iOS10.

Posts 1158
Armin | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 18 2012 10:37 PM

Armin:

I have to agree. I am considering canceling the prepubs of this series. I don't think there is anything in there that I don't yet have. It just has a nicer layout. But for this price it is not worth it.

Armin

Based on the current pre-pubs of Lexham Bible Guides, the average cost of a volume is $36. If you assume that Logos produces one volume for the 66 books of the Protestant Bible (which is not correct as Genesis has 2 volumes), this means the total series is about $2,400. Based on the content provided in the available volume on Ephesians, this is not worth it for me. I rather spend this money on my wishlist. So my decision is made: I cancel my Lexham Bible Guides pre-pubs.

Armin

Posts 1574
Ben | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 18 2012 10:43 PM

I'm waiting to see what Genesis 1-11 looks like. It's supposed to drop in a week or so. I mostly do Old Testament work, and have many of the other resources, but no package, so I'm not sure how much the evaluation of Ephesians will apply to my situation.

"The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of Conservatives is to prevent mistakes from being corrected."- G.K. Chesterton

Posts 138
Michael Grigoni | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 19 2012 10:35 AM

Thanks for the feedback. I've offered a response to some these issues on another forum thread.

http://community.logos.com/forums/p/59934/427848.aspx#427848

Posts 1084
Martin Folley | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 29 2012 9:08 PM

... a final comment ... I have now examined Genesis and found that it lacked any more depth/links than Ephesians, despite the more controversial content. Many of the resources are still locked, and since each 'viewpoint' has only a single reference, I found the guide to be incomplete.

I have cancelled all other orders for this series and have just received a refund. for Genesis. I feel obliged to say again how good and generous the refund policy is ... a simple email and a prompt reply ... Thank you Logos Big Smile.

2010 17" MBP with High Sierra, iPad4 with iOS10.

Posts 1574
Ben | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 2 2012 4:59 PM

I also have asked for a refund on Genesis 1-11. Not enough breadth or depth (would have taken either) to merit the $.

"The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of Conservatives is to prevent mistakes from being corrected."- G.K. Chesterton

Posts 54
Tommy Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 3 2012 4:01 PM

Dear Logos:

I am a busy pastor, and presumably part of the target audience for the Lexham Bible Guides. However, I am returning my Genesis 1-11 and cancelling my pending pre-orders for Jonah, Ruth, and the Letters of Paul, for three reasons:

1) Though I have spent tens of thousands of dollars and have a library of 7,944 resources, the majority of links are still to resources I DO NOT OWN.

2)  The resource has no indexing whatsoever. It is not even versified (no index by verse means I cannot prioritize it). Thus, I must deliberately open the resource to study in it.

3)  While the description claims to have "Customizable media slides for use in the classroom," I cannot find them anywhere. I can only send the pic to Power Point, but it comes in only as a pic (no editable content).

These things coupled with the very high price make the Lexham Bible Guides the wrong choice for me.

Core i7-2630QM CPU 2.00 GHz, 8 GB RAM, 64-Bit Windows 7 Professional SP1

Posts 89
David Mitchell | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 3 2012 11:10 PM

I returned genesis 1-11 today.  They were good about it and asked for feedback.   Too short, too basic.  I agree they would be good free or very low priced.  That might actually be more lucrative for logos creating more interest in other resources through the bible guides.  

Posts 1158
Armin | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 4 2012 12:58 AM

David Mitchell:
They were good about it and asked for feedback.

I also sent some feedback to Logos on the reasons why I returned my Lexham Bible Guides. They seemed to be grateful for the comments. I guess predicting likely market acceptance is not always easy. I am sure these guides are being discussed within Logos.

Armin

Posts 579
Andrew Baguley | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 2 2013 8:25 AM

I've tried to offer a suggestion, dealing with many of the criticisms raised regarding the Lexham Bible Guides here: http://community.logos.com/forums/p/63694/447500.aspx.  Maybe it's just pipe dreams, especially at the current prices that Logos is charging, but I'd be particularly interested to know what people think about the Still Dreaming section of the post.

Page 2 of 2 (32 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS