Black Friday "Like" athon

Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
This post has 2 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 32
Chuck Alford | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Oct 31 2012 2:17 PM

I really think it is unethical because it over inflates the number of likes for products that people do not own. If someone visits the Logos website and sees an item that has 3,000 likes, they could assume that those people have purchased the item, therefore increasing the chance of that item selling. It’s like a car salesman showing a car to someone and telling the potential customer that he has 30 other people who are looking at this same car and like it. I think this is misleading.

I feel Logos can come up with something different if they want to do a Black Friday sale. Why not just post the lowest possible price on all items and let everyone choose what they can afford. It should be that way all of the time, but there is an online price and there is a different price when you go through in house sales. That’s a whole different issue as well.

This whole “like” voting thing is going too far.

Disappointed

Posts 10871
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 31 2012 2:33 PM

Chuck ... I can appreciate your discomfort. But if people 'like' a product, and if they're honest, presumably they like the product. The Logos sale simply tracks the 'like-ability' and reduces the price ... can't get much better than that?

Maybe you're questioning the meaning of 'likes' on the Logos.com page? That it means people bought the resource and then came back to say they liked it? (Which I guess could be a valid conclusion).

Personally I don't like FB practices and so anything 'on' FB is participating in the same problem (granted a 21st century band-wagon as another poster called it).

Just trying to understand your disappointment.

"I didn't know God made honky tonk angels."

Posts 1674
Paul N | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 31 2012 3:37 PM

If I may open it up from another angle.  Since Facebook is social media your likes translate to Logos exposure to your friends unless you personally limit it.  Liking something via Facebook for me is balanced by the fact that I am admitting to my friends that I like it because it shows on their feeds.  Hopefully people only like what they would like to share with those close to them.

Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS